Uk people! Can i eat chip shop food and still lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelvincornish1
    Options
    Just don't have fish and chips every day!!! As others have said, as long as overall you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Of course the benefit of the fish is the protein and good fats. You could remove the batter but then getting fish from a chip shop and removing the batter does defeat the object! You could get just the fish and do homemade chips in the oven. We had homemade sweet potato oven chips this evening in fact.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    laineybz wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    cw106 wrote: »
    portion of chips from a uk chippy is approx 1000 calories.
    so, no.

Why not?

What's the source for 1000 calories?

UK federation of fish friers states 589 calories for a 10oz portion. 1000 or so calories would get you a 6oz portion of fish and 10oz of chips.

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/nutritional-info-605.htm

As long as OP remains in a daily/weekly deficit there is nothing wrong with a weekly visit to the chippy/indian/chinese/greek/pizza

Thanks the the link x

I weighed out a 100g portion of chips once (the Weight Watchers recommended amount) and it was something like ten chips from the chippy! To me that's worse than having none.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Aw, man. I miss proper UK fish and chips. Nobody in the US does proper chips. (closest I've found is 5 Guys fries....and YES THEY PUT OUT MALT VINEGAR AS IS RIGHT AND PROPER.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, there's fish n chip shops on every corner :+1: I usually get a BLT burger and minimum chips, and share chips with the hubby. I log the chips as pub meal, side serve of chips, usually 150ish grams which is bugger all :tired_face:
  • tffcx
    tffcx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tesco chips are an option too, if you'd like to degrade the sanctity of the chippy institution! :D
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    cw106 wrote: »
    portion of chips from a uk chippy is approx 1000 calories.
    so, no.

UK federation of fish friers states 589 calories for a 10oz portion. 1000 or so calories would get you a 6oz portion of fish and 10oz of chips.

That's not bad actually!
    Thought it was a lot more than 1000.

• KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do that haha I just need to know every little bit, i have a wholesale butchers close to me that do really good deals (5kg chicken £20)

they have mince aswell but i dunno the fat percentage protein per 100g etc so i have to resort to buying it from lidl (steak mince) which is really good but yeah, i couldn't eat it if i dont know the macros haha, sad life i lead eh