Shift work

Options
mandakmcvay
mandakmcvay Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
I do not work your typical 9-5 M-F job. I don't even have a predictable schedule. As a midwife, I can be up for days at a time. I am convinced that my job sabotages me. I'm looking for other shift workers to swap secrets to jump start weight loss.

Replies

• mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I agree that your job is sabotaging your weight loss. Im a nurse and work mostly nights but I get mandated days if someone calls in sick. Plus I have a busy evening schedule. I dont have any secrets. I try to keep healthy foods at work and exercise on my breaks..if I get one :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Options
    I work in Labor and Delivery 7P-7A 3x a week. I eat a real dinner before I leave. I bring lots of foods I can grab - breaks aren't a guarantee. I bring yogurt, oatmeal, cheese, fruit, cottage cheese, some chocolate (keeps me happy and the coworkers out of harm's way). Depending on my assignment, this works for me.
  • jpagurut
    jpagurut Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am an operating room registered nurse in a small city. I do 2 weeks of call per month. I will make a plan to work out or walk after work, but after 16 hours on your feet some days there is no energy left. I would like to workout before work, then there is fewer chance of being exhausted, pulled to another shift ect. Please keep me posted with your progress and if you find something that works. Best of luck :)
  • mandakmcvay
    mandakmcvay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is one of the hardest things to do. When I go in on call, I never know how long that labor will last especially 48 hour call shifts. I can and have been with a pt for 48 hours at a time. The other issue is that when I'm there for long periods sometimes the only thing that can keep you going for 24 to 48 hours with no sleep is food. It has become very frustrating.