Soda!

Options
I am badly trying to cut soda out of my diet. I have been doing great so far, and when I get cravings for some soda I'll drink a sparkling water drink. Although it helps soothe the "AAHHH carbonation!" feeling sometimes I just want a coke! Any other suggestions on how to kick this cola craving?

Replies

• leazeej
    leazeej Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Diet soda?
  • cajodi
    cajodi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One thing that is helping me is knowing that soda is not natural that it is made of chemicals. I used to drink so much of it until I researched the ingredients.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    leazeej wrote: »
    Diet soda?

Yep, when I started losing weight I switched from regular to diet and had no problems losing almost 60lbs and now I'm in maintenance still drinking diet (drinking a diet Mt Dew right now actually). Is there a reason why you want to cut it out? I have cut back on it, just because I'm a soda snob and have to have the brand name stuff and it also has to be in a can (no 2 liters here blech), and it gets expensive. I still drink diet soda daily, but I've reduced the amount and I now also drink tea, which way cheaper :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I was a 5 monster energy drink 0 calorie or Red bull diet a day guy since 1999 quit for lent and will never drink them again.. I drink LOTS OF WATER!!!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    cajodi wrote: »
    One thing that is helping me is knowing that soda is not natural that it is made of chemicals. I used to drink so much of it until I researched the ingredients.

Everything is made of chemicals... The ones in pop aren't really that unnatural either, the caramel color is the most unnatural ingredient because I doubt there are any natural sources they use to get it. Most other things in pop are corn derivatives. But I guess if that's what got you off it, sure.

I'd just try diet pop, if you don't like the taste just limit your intake of regular pop like once a day or a couple times a week if that is what you need.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I hate diet soda so nasty!
    I ll drink soda maybe once a week.
    leahraskie wrote: »
    cajodi wrote: »

Everything is made of chemicals... The ones in pop aren't really that unnatural either, the caramel color is the most unnatural ingredient because I doubt there are any natural sources they use to get it. Most other things in pop are corn derivatives. But I guess if that's what got you off it, sure.

I'd just try diet pop, if you don't like the taste just limit your intake of regular pop like once a day or a couple times a week if that is what you need.

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I found a few replacement drinks that I like (fruit flavored seltzer water, crystal light), and drank more water.

Then, when I really "need" a treat, I drink one of those "10" sodas (currently enjoying an A&W 10 right now). They seem like a treat b/c I LOVE them, but don't bust the calorie bank.

Also, when my colleagues are going for drinks and I can't calorically afford a beer, diet pepsi still seems like a treat! And I have no "can't drink that sads!"
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I still have a coke with dinner. I know that I can have one a day - and frankly I don't even finish it now. I didn't see a reason to cut it entirely, so I didn't.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I havent had soda since September. Love it with pizza so thats the hardest but overall I really didnt miss it after a while.
  • StacyV91
    StacyV91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If that craving just isn't going away or we are having a pizza night with the family I will allow myself 1 of the mini cans of coke. It seems to work for me so far and I had a Big soda habit. I think it is the carbonation that I like.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Give it up, COLD TURKEY! That's what I did. I can promise you, you will NEVER miss it!!
    Would you rather have the momentary taste of soda, or would you rather *get rid of* heartburn, high blood pressure, migraines, diabetes, etc.
    That is the real question you need to ask yourself. Think about it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cathyg321 wrote: »
    Give it up, COLD TURKEY! That's what I did. I can promise you, you will NEVER miss it!!
    Would you rather have the momentary taste of soda, or would you rather *get rid of* heartburn, high blood pressure, migraines, diabetes, etc.

Or, if you don't suffer from any of those health issues when you drink soda (which, it does not cause diabetes), you can still enjoy it in moderation as everything else.

OP, I cut down to a can a day and then switched to diet. The only times I have more are on Sunday mornings when I drink a bottle at work or if I'm out to eat. I just make sure to drink enough water throughout the day.
  • catedesimone
    catedesimone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I cut out diet soda and switched to La Croix and Pellegrino. When I'm really craving a soda though, I'll drink a "Zevia". I've found them at Kroger and Whole Foods.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    cathyg321 wrote: »

^^^ THIS.. I was a four-can-a-day guy. I started by giving it up everyday, except my Friday night "date night" dinner. Two weeks ago, I simply dropped it completely. Switch to bottled water, (there are great low-cal flavors you can add when you can't stand straight water all the time/) Soda/Pop is worth giving up.

• jamesmorin59
    jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm like all above, I drink coke if I eat out but that's it, still opt for water sometimes. as long as you don't buy a multi pack and bring it home you will be doing ok
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda cold-turkey for Lent 2013. I used to drink 3-4 sodas per day. Having a goal helped give will power to get through the first week, along with caffeine pills and crystal-light flavored water.

After Lent ended I have since allowed myself one soda per week, though some weeks go by without a single soda desired.