New PR every session?

I'm currently bulking, so my primary focus is gaining weight/muscle. But, I am pretty much addicted to new PR's and I try to get a new record on every exercise in every session. What about you folks?

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    It's not for me. My programming is intense enough that I'm pushed to the limit of what my nervous system can handle on a regular basis, without constantly pushing for new maxes. Part of the reason why I'm grateful that my coaches keep a close eye on me and aren't afriad to tell me to end a session early.

I only really track 1 and 3 rep maxes on the big three. My accessories are there to ensure I stay balanced and therefore I just use whatever I need to be able to just finish prescribed reps and sets.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,742 Member
    Define "PR". Do you mean the most weight you can lift a single time? I test my 1RM (one-rep max) every other month at most, sometimes longer between. But there's the 3RM, 5RM, 10RM, most reps in a single workout, most total pounds in a workout (combination of weight and reps), doing the same lifts but with less time between...

Lots of ways you can push yourself harder than before without trying for a new 1RM every single time.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I use Jefit to log my weights. I follow 5/3/1 when I lift. On my third work set, I will look up how many reps I need to do for a new PR. If I don't hit them, it is no big deal, but it is nice to see a new PR every once in a while.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Thanks for the question Noss.. I should have clarified. I also used Jefit, which shows you how much weight you need to lift and how many reps to beat the calculated PR. That's what I'm generally referring to. The except to that is Deadlift, in which I go for a new 1RM PR weekly.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Sounds like a recipe for overtraining.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I stopped doing that 10 years ago. I look long term now with progress and less injuries. Its only a number.