Why do I go to bed feeling hungry???? PLEASE HELP!

Options
pmd15098
pmd15098 Posts: 17 Member
I workout everyday but I find myself going to bed hungry. I don't want to "reward" myself with food like hey I ran today I can now eat this but at the same time I don't want to be underfueling. Currently I am taking in about 1200 calories give or take a few and running about 30 min to an hour every other day and on the off days lifting weights or doing cross training. My goal is healthy weightloss. Will I experience gains if I eat more to curb this hunger at night?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should eat more. Especially if you're exercising. You're supposed to eat back some exercise calories if you're doing the mfp method.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Eat when you're hungry.

Eat before bed.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Eat more.

Eat when you're hungry.

Eat before bed.
    this
  • pmd15098
    pmd15098 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Sometimes I just get in my own head and think if I eat more I will sabotage my efforts which I am beginning to see is wrong but I have a feeling this is going to be a hard mental shift. Here's to not only a healthy body but now focus on healthy mind so I can give my body what it needs.
  • sirion2
    sirion2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I usually have a glass of 1% millk with a tiny squirt of chocolate syrup before bed. It helps me a lot.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make dinner my biggest meal. If i go to bed hungry I sleep poorly, which doesn't help with recovery from exercise, or give you the energy to do it the next day.
  • powerstaxx
    Options
    My suggestion would be to log your exercise also,because you burn calories while your doing it.And make sure to replace those also!
    I would also suggest maybe a snack about an hour or so before bed.Some examples could be greek yogurt, almonds, protein shake.
    Wish you the best in your journey.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least half your exercise calories.
  • tforrest33
    Options
    I read about cottage cheese being a good snack to eat about and 1-1 1/2 before bed. It has casein protein which is a slow digesting protein that can probably last through a good night's sleep. You can add fruit or honey; if you like cottage cheese of course.
  • tforrest33
    Options
    It works for me!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would eat a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or greek yogurt, both have lots of protein and will help sustain you through the night. I've gone to bed feeling hungry but not woke up hungry...which makes me think I wasn't truly hungry but something else?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories after 430pm. Most of those after training for dinner and dessert. Breakfast is my smallest meal of the day - it works for me! I eat breakfast as late as I can (1030ish).... Surprisingly I can last til then, but if I eat earlier I am constantly hungry.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Replacing some of the carbohydrate in your diet with protein will help you with hunger issues. Protein has a more satiating effect on the appetite than carbohydrate. This does not have to mean that you go super low carb. Just take in a bit less carbohydrate than you are currently and replace that with a good quality protein.

Also, I don't think you mentioned how much you are trying to lose per week, but if it is more than one pound, then switch your settings to losing only one pound per week or less. That will allow you a higher calorie goal. Your rate of loss may be slower, but how long will you stick with it, if you are going to bed hungry every night and feeling miserable?
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Water water water..plus, more protein like almond or peanut butter..dont be afraid of upping your calories a bit..your working hard enough to eat a bit more..but dont over do it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Water water water..plus, more protein like almond or peanut butter..dont be afraid of upping your calories a bit..your working hard enough to eat a bit more..but dont over do it.

Nut butters are more of a fat source.... They'll help keep you full longer but also add a lot of calories
  • Omaoffive
    Omaoffive Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always have a rice cake with peanut butter before bed, otherwise the night is just too long for me. It's hard to sleep when your stomach is grumbling with hunger pangs.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eating later in the evening is NOT a bad thing and I do it all the time. Just do a reasonably healthy snack and yer good to go. Fruit, nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, popcorn, whatever. Just stay away from insulin spiking food like ice cream and stuff like that.