Question for those of you who've had success...

Options
kwrecks
kwrecks Posts: 82 Member
Sorry if this doesn't belong on this board, but I figured who better to ask than those who've had success!

I came to the realization tonight that a major reason I have trouble losing weight is because I can't imagine myself losing weight. Being able to lose a large amount of weight, like I need to lose, is something that I just always think happens to other people. Such as winning the lottery. If you really want to win the lottery, you will keep buying tickets. And you imagine yourself winning millions of dollars and becoming rich, but when it boils down to it, and after so long of not winning, you realize that you most likely aren't going to win, so you stop playing.

That's how weight loss is to me. Big success stories are things that happen to others, not me. I can do all the necessary things to try to lose weight but because I can't actually imagine myself losing all the weight I want to lose, I don't work hard enough at it. It shows that this whole thing is just as much mental as it is physical.

So my question is, how many of you felt this same way, and how were you able to get past it? How did you change your frame of mind to make yourself feel like you actually were able to accomplish something so big? I feel like I am sabotaging myself because I have this mindset, and I'm just not sure how to change it.

Replies

• LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. It's easy to give up. Losing weight is hard but so is being overweight. So you have to choose which hard you want to have in your life (heard that from someone else). When I was almost 200 pounds I chose to make a change. I set the smallest goal to lose 3 pounds a month and I would work at it for a year. Every little success was a big deal and made me want to keep going. 12 months later I was just over 30 pounds less. So I set a new goal to keep going. Take baby steps. Set small goals. Make a list as to why you want to do this. Don't give up. Expect it to be hard. If it wasn't hard nobody would be overweight. Oh and I had to take post it notes and write reminders to myself in the bathroom and kitchen about my goals. I also took a picture of me and hung it on my mirror next to a picture of how I wanted to be. I needed a lot if inspiration.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Think small. Seriously. :)

If you think you have to lose 100 lbs or whatever -it's like why bother. I was like that till I got diagnosed with type 2 DM, then I changed my way of thinking....set small goals, 5 lbs at a time if you need that.

I just took it one day, one pound & then as the weight came off, one step at a time.

Don't look at the BIG picture (pun intended).

You need to get and keep your mindset where it needs to be, you didn't put the pounds on overnite and there is no way they're going to come off overnite.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started with smaller weight loss goals. I also started by making small changes that were easy to manage. At one point I figured I'd end up at 160 lbs and be happy with that and while I knew a healthy BMI for my height would lead me to be 120, I figured that was just a pipe dream.

But I got to 160. And then 150, and so on. So I just kept lowering my goal by 10lbs. Now I'm down to 107. :D You can do it! It's going to take time, effort, lots of patience, and determination. But you can do it!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kwrecks wrote:
    Big success stories are things that happen to others, not me. I can do all the necessary things to try to
    lose weight but because I can't actually imagine myself losing all the weight I want to lose, I don't work hard
    enough at it. It shows that this whole thing is just as much mental as it is physical.

So my question is, how many of you felt this same way, and how were you able to get past it? How did you change
    your frame of mind to make yourself feel like you actually were able to accomplish something so big?
    Start with small success and build on it.
    (How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.)

My initial goal is to lose 110 lb to get just under the top end of a healthy BMI weight range.
    That is a totally overwhelming and un-doable goal. So I focussed on small, managable goals.
    I made a list of every 5 lb I was going to lose, every time I'd drop 1 BMI number, when I'd go from obese to
    overweight to healthy. As I hit those goals, I wrote the date on the line next to them.

I weigh myself every morning and write it on the calendar.
    I can look back a few weeks or months and see how well I've done so far.

I look to the next 5 lb, while realizing that there is a bigger goal out there.
    But anyone can lose 5 lb. Heck, I've done it 16 times so far! :sweat_smile:

First, get your calories in under control. Figure out a reasonable amount you should be eating, and do that.
    Then start gradually adding exercise, to increase calories out. (But don't eat them back; ignore "net" calories.)

Make a list, or maybe a "job jar" where you can draw a random slip of paper, to reward yourself for each small goal.
    Have something big for the end, and maybe major milestones along the way (50 or 100 lb, for example).
    Try to avoid making them food-related. I've gotten new earbuds, cute socks, and colored my hair.
    Oh, and I've had to replace my bras twice now. Ditto for pants & shirts.
    Not sure if that counts as a reward, but it's nice being a smaller size.

51637601.png

ETA: forgot that I update my shirt every 10 lb I lose... started it at 50 lb down. It's the same front &
    back - it says "I'VE LOST...", and then has every 10 lb listed & crossed out, until the current milestone
    (which isn't crossed out yet). This was in DEC14 at 70 lb lost.
    2014%2012%2015%2070%20down_zps7tyjevjz_1.jpg

For comparison, here I was at the end of APR14 at 20 lb down, so 50 lb heavier than ^^ that picture.
    c0ebc0aa-19a3-4c80-8540-d728ff59af87_zpsde3c5fe6_1.jpg

BTW, if you're going to make your own brag shirt, don't make the mistake I did...
    The first one, I used a sharpie. It bled when I sweated. Guess they're not really permanent. :tired_face:
    Get a couple colors of fabric paint. It's cheap. I used one color for the writing, & red to cross out the numbers.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Losing weight is hard but so is being overweight.
    So much this!
    I don't remember being at a healthy weight, it's been so long.
    I don't remember how good it felt.
    But even though I'm still 30 lb over a healthy weight, I FEEL WONDERFUL!!!
    I have energy, I can run up the stairs at work if I want to, I can run on the treadmill if I want to (WOW!), I can move
    more easily no matter what I'm doing.
    And the self-image, well, that's improved remarkably too. Not just because I think I look so much better, but because
    I know that _I_ did this. I put in the work, the sweat, made the time to go to the gym. I controlled what I ate so
    it was at a healthy, reasonable level. I made a decision, I stuck to it.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    BTW, this article might interest you... http://jamesclear.com/identity-based-habits
    The Recipe for Sustained Success

Changing your beliefs isn’t nearly as hard as you might think. There are two steps.

1. Decide the type of person you want to be.

2. Prove it to yourself with small wins.

Note: I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with incredibly small steps. The goal is not
    to achieve results at first, the goal is to become the type of person who can achieve those things.
  • jambo1001
    jambo1001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I started, I logged religiously for 2-3 weeks, lost 4-5 lbs, that showed me it worked! From then on, I kept logging, learned to make food choices etc. As I progressed, I logged my weight every week, when I had tough times, got discouraged, I looked back at the charts, and could see the progress, it was working! I did set small goals, under 220, under 200, etc. For me, just knowing it could happen if I did my part gave me the motivation to keep going. My diary is open, feel free to look, 90 lbs in a year, current goal is to see if I can wean off of logging and maintain. You can do this!
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, anyone can. I hated the thought of losing weight. I never thought I could do it. I started at 267 pounds on July 21, 2014 and I am currently 162 pounds. I want to lose at least another 30. It is so much easier than I expected. Once you start losing and dropping sizes you become motivated. I pretty much eliminated all carbs. I eat as much as I want and I am never hungry. I haven't exercised although I know I should, but just keeping my carbs under 20g a day has helped me lose weight quickly. You just need to figure out which eating plan you would like best since it is for life. Set small goals and celebrate weather it is by getting your hair or nails done, buying a new pair of jeans or going out for the night. It honestly becomes fun after you get through the first couple weeks. Good luck
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    BTW, this article might interest you... http://jamesclear.com/identity-based-habits

Changing your beliefs isn’t nearly as hard as you might think. There are two steps.

Note: I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with incredibly small steps. The goal is not
    to achieve results at first, the goal is to become the type of person who can achieve those things.

Thank you so much for the website. I know it will change my life. I am going to start now with the tips. This was my missing piece to my puzzle. Thank you again.
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    kwrecks wrote: »
    Sorry if this doesn't belong on this board, but I figured who better to ask than those who've had success!
    Thank you for asking the question. It was the answer I needed for me to stop stopping and starting. Because the number is so big.

I came to the realization tonight that a major reason I have trouble losing weight is because I can't imagine myself losing weight. Being able to lose a large amount of weight, like I need to lose, is something that I just always think happens to other people. Such as winning the lottery. If you really want to win the lottery, you will keep buying tickets. And you imagine yourself winning millions of dollars and becoming rich, but when it boils down to it, and after so long of not winning, you realize that you most likely aren't going to win, so you stop playing.

That's how weight loss is to me. Big success stories are things that happen to others, not me. I can do all the necessary things to try to lose weight but because I can't actually imagine myself losing all the weight I want to lose, I don't work hard enough at it. It shows that this whole thing is just as much mental as it is physical.

So my question is, how many of you felt this same way, and how were you able to get past it? How did you change your frame of mind to make yourself feel like you actually were able to accomplish something so big? I feel like I am sabotaging myself because I have this mindset, and I'm just not sure how to change it.

Thank you for asking the question. It was the answer I needed for
    wonna13 wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »

Thank you so much for the website. I know it will change my life. I am going to start now with the tips. This was my missing piece to my puzzle. Thank you again.
    kwrecks wrote: »

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Agree with small goals.

My #1 concern is the end of the day (that is where MFP is genius).
    My #2 concern is the end of the week (that is weigh day).

I have also set up 5 pound rewards that were really helpful in the beginning, but seem less important to me now. I've lost 80 pounds and have about 40-60 to go. And if I look up at how far I have to go, I still get week in the knees. I just keep my my head down and only really worry about the end of the day.

Also, a wise friend has suggested that if you focus on fitness goals, your weight loss will follow. This is helping me through a bit of a rough patch as I've had 2 weight loss plateaus in 2015 (grrrrr), but also in 2015 I've done couch to 5K, so I may not have lost a ton of weight, but I can run over 3 miles!!!!

• kwrecks
    kwrecks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. It's such an overwhelming thought to think of all he weight I have to lose in total, but I agree, small goals seem more obtainable. I guess I just need to sit down and figure out my goals and even make rewards for myself along the way.

I was able to breastfeed my daughter for 16 months, all because of small goals. 1 week, 1 month, 3 months...etc. I need to do the same thing when it comes to myself and my weight loss goals!
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and photos along with scale. I've found that one will almost always be changing but never all three. Put your small goals in your mfp profile and mark them as achieved with each date. Trust the process. Weight is like math. Calories in - exercise = body size. Even if you don't see the results for a week or 12 know that the math is a certainty. If you eat less and move more you will go in the right direction. I started at 204. Didn't really believe I'd see 160. Now I'm 152 heading for 142 and then who knows. You can do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!