Don't Eat All of the Dressing!!

Options
LaBella803
LaBella803 Posts: 12 Member
I was talking to one of my closest friends about my goals and such as it pertains to weight loss, and the topic of salad had come up. Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely DETEST salad, because once you pile on the necessary ten tons of dressing to avoid the feeling of chewing on a tree, you're left with eating as much calories as you would have had in a cheeseburger, but without the satisfaction. In her quest to aide me in my weight loss goals, she offered an appealing alternative. She told me that if I just dipped the tongs of my fork into the dressing before each bite, it would be jam packed with flavor and I would barely use half of a packet. Intrigued, I took it as a personal challenge and tried it out today, and finished my entire side salad and with a smile too! It was delicious and I don't feel guilty at all! This was one trick that proved to be a definite treat!! ^_^

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the tip, I will have to remember that :)
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I alternate between that and dipping my salad in the dressing (Lightly, I don't mean dunking!) I don't know if I could ever even go back to putting the dressing ON the salad! (Unless it is my measured light Italian that I use at home)
  • dp781
    dp781 Posts: 4
    Options
    This is a GREAT tip, I'm totally stealing it!! :bigsmile: I sometimes put a couple tablespoons of hummus on my salads as well. YUMMY!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That is a really nice trick. Instead of salad dressing, I often put 1/2 cup of cottage cheese on the top of my salad and that is nice too.
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    there also are some really sensational low-cal dressings out there. i for one love the vermont maple farms dressings. they are killer and extremely low cal.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I use a small amount of light dressing...and squeeze lemon on top. It is so good and better for you. The light dressings have so much sodium : )
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    THAT'S WHAT I DO TOO!!! I thought I was weird to do that, lol...but being that the only dressing I like is ranch, it was my only option =)
  • LaBella803
    LaBella803 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's really an awesome trick. It makes the torture of having to eat a salad more enjoyable :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that trick several years ago. It's a good idea.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I just use the lower calorie version of my favorite and eat less. I used to hate salads as well for the same reason but now I have one almost every night.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I will remember that. I ususally use fat free thousand island (1 TBSP) on a small salad and it's low fat and mixes well.