Running with their dogs

Options
hello, I'm new and just started the c25k. Just wondering if anyone else has their dog as their running buddy.

Replies

• lesliroot123
    lesliroot123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My dog is an awesome personal trainer! She gives me this big eyes every time I'm feeling like skipping my run, we are both much happier once it's done
  • Kelli_04
    Kelli_04 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes my dog Chloe knows when I'm off to a late start because she starts pacing by the front door. She really is my motivation, because I can't deprive her of her exercise.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    id love to but my dog just doesn't make a good running buddy, he likes to stop and sniff to frequently.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! I do the Saturday parkrun with my cocker spaniel, while my Weimaraner is my usual long Sunday run companion (he's not good with crowds....)

I've also done some "Waggy Races" events which are specifically canicross running-with-dogs races.

Do make sure that your dog is over 12 months old before running with them, and a chest harness is better than a strain on their neck.
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have tried running with mine in the past but it doesn't work. I have greyhounds, so they either walk or they sprint! There's no in between. :smiley: and there's no keeping up with a sprinting greyhound haha
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I run with my lab who will happily run 15 miles plus trail runs with me. Just make sure you build up slowly and remember the dogs welfare is paramount. I check pads etc after every run and enjoy
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! I do the Saturday parkrun with my cocker spaniel, while my Weimaraner is my usual long Sunday run companion (he's not good with crowds....)

I've also done some "Waggy Races" events which are specifically canicross running-with-dogs races.

Do make sure that your dog is over 12 months old before running with them, and a chest harness is better than a strain on their neck.

Was just about to ask how old does the dog have to be before they can start running with you lol
    I still have to wait ages before I can take my puppy then
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    My bull terrier is awesome to run with. Although he isn't a big fan of hills
  • Dianardh
    Dianardh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sure do!
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I borrow my housemates' dog. :-) He likes to go for ages, so I walk him for a long time until he stops pulling at the lead and then we jog. It's taking some practice, but we are getting there. :-) It's like running with another person but without feeling the need to talk. Good luck with the C25K. I'm doing that myself. It's fun!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I currently walk with my german shepherd. I feel safer LOL. That's him in my picture taking over my yoga mat and weights - every time I take a brief rest.

I tried running for a couple minutes yesterday. I'm thinking the couch to 5k might be a good start for me and it might have to be how I always run (alternate run and walk) so that my back (past injury issues) is happy. I downloaded an app for c25k and looked at some info online so that I'll know what the app is asking me for as I go. I think my dog will love the running.

Walking is no longer increasing my heart rate enough and definitely not sustaining the "zone" for any decent calorie burning length of time even though my neighborhood is very hilly and I'm still very overweight, so running is all that is left. :p

I've never heard of waggy races...hmm interesting!
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog but I spend more time running back on myself to see where he's got too.
  • Kelli_04
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I run with my lab who will happily run 15 miles plus trail runs with me. Just make sure you build up slowly and remember the dogs welfare is paramount. I check pads etc after every run and enjoy

Thanks for the reminder to check their pads.
  • Kelli_04
    Options
    What great responses, glad to see so many running with their doggies
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do a mix. Sometimes I take my dogs running and most times I walk them. If they have to run with me there is no time for them to explore and sniff around, something that is important for them. My late father used to say, walking the dog is like reading the newspaper for us. They want to check out what is going on, who has been around and so forth. Running with me means purely exercise for them but less brain stimulation.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My doggie LOVES to take walks. Sometimes he practically races me; other times he has to constantly stop. Either way, a mile is a mile is a mile, and we both get at least that once or twice a day.