Exercise Calories

Options
I know there is a debate always on eating back all of your exercise calories or not or some, but my question is what snacks do you eat when you have a bunch of calories left at the end of the day because you exercise at night? I don't want to eat a lot at night, but at the same time I'm on the 1200 calorie plan and don't want to keep being so far under my goal especially when I work out.

Replies

• hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nuts! I have No Added Salt mixed nuts, almonds, and pecan praline granola! Or avocado! :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion is to eat more durning the day if you know you are going to work out. Or better yet, do it so you HAVE to work out.

As far as snacks go,

Avacados are really high in calories, Same with bananas, and almonds (any nut really) I like a glass of chocolate milk with popcorn.

I also like a HUGE fruit bowl with a little bit of whip cream mixed in with the fruit.

Just be creative!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A favorite late evening snack of mine is braided honey wheat pretzel snacks with reduced fat peanut butter. Super yummy and a quick 300 calories =)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whey protein is good to have after a workout (i have 1 scoop of EAS whey with skim milk after my workouts). Its about 300 calories and is a good source of amino acids which are integral for muscle growth. I would highly suggest increasing your intake during the day. You also might want to look into how many calories you should be eating as 1200 is pretty low and many people require much more for maximum results.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is to eat more snacks throughout your day anticipating the workout that evening- it's important to fuel your workouts, as well as guarding yourself from trying to cram all your cals in at the end of the day.

That said- calorie dense foods, nuts, dairies (chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink), or protiens are all great snacks for post workout. Also a banana before any cardio is a good way to keep your energy up during a workout!
  • iSteakers
    iSteakers Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I know I need to do better about planning ahead too, but I'm still new and trying to get into the groove :)
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    If I have about 200-300 calories "leftover" due to working out out or whatever I 'll just down a Whey Protein (1 scoop) shake with 2% milk. (8 oz)
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I eat more during the day so I won't have to eat so much at night if I don't use the calories up and if I have a 100 or 200 left I have some fruit.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    All these whey protein suggestions intrigue me. I plan to start making my own yogurt, and the by-product is whey. I was told it's drinkable, but I hadn't thought of it as a workout drink.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake that's 360 calories when I exercise, I usually burn ~600 calories. The reason I choose one fairly high in calories is so when I have a ton of calories leftover at the end of the day I don't panic and eat junk food to make them up. Also, I read it's good to provide carbs + protein after a workout.
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to this too and am doing slim fast for breakfast and lunch then a 600 cal meal. I run 4 or 5 times a week and haven't been eating the extra calories but saving them for the weekend for wine and a higher calorie dinner. Is this a mistake? I have lost 7lbs so far in 3 weeks but I had lost that after less than 2 weeks and no more since then. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

Jo
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would not suggest that because with the higher calorie items, you are also talking about large amounts of saturated fats, possible transfats, high cholesterol, etc... Also, the one issue with slimfast shake is they are rather high in carbs/sugars. You are really better off with oatmeal or eggs. Also, you really should look into doing weight training as it's the only way to build muscle.