Oatmeal

Options
I know oatmeal is good for you to eat. I really enjoy it. My only problem is when I eat oatmeal it makes me hungry. I don't get the full feeling. I want to eat to something else after the oatmeal is gone. Any suggestions or things I can add to the oatmeal to make me feel full.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I add plain greek yogurt, plain protein powder sometimes, frozen or fresh blueberries (or whatever fruit I have), honey, walnuts, cinnamon and a little bit of butter - keeps me full all morning! Good combo of carbs, fat and protein does the trick.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Sometimes adding a fat and protein to it makes it more satisfying for me, but if you find that it doesn't work, maybe just consider having a more filling breakfast.

Oatmeal+a tablespoon or two of Peanut butter/other nut butter+ a side of greek yogurt is pretty satisfying for me
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, eating quick oats made me sleepy after while steel cut oats don't have the same effect. That being said, when I have oatmeal I mix with greek yogurt and blue berries, too. Yummy and filling.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try fruit and nuts in it.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I add things like hemp hearts and chia seeds to mine to add some fat and some protein and that helps me feel more full, so I don't really feel the need to snack before lunchtime.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I add berries or apples and cinnamon, I can add quite a bit for bulk and be able to have a much larger serving as well as I don't add sugars and use almond milk to mix which tastes just as good and keeps the calories a little lower.
  • mommatoke
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I usually do eat the five minute oats. I think Ill try the steel cut and see if they help. I cant have the Greek yogurt because I'm on a low cholesterol diet but, I will try the fruit. I love blueberries.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat oats very often as, like you, I don't find they keep me full for long. There are plenty of foods to eat that are good for you that will keep you full....eat those instead!
  • Rocketqueeen
    Rocketqueeen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal too! And I thought it's supposed to keep you full longer. I swear, an hour after eating it I am ravenously hungry. I think I'm broken. Haha.
  • ep4234
    ep4234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree the chia seeds help with feeling fuller.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mommatoke wrote: »
    I know oatmeal is good for you to eat. I really enjoy it. My only problem is when I eat oatmeal it makes me hungry. I don't get the full feeling. I want to eat to something else after the oatmeal is gone. Any suggestions or things I can add to the oatmeal to make me feel full.

I love my oatmeal, and it makes me feel very full. However, I only eat the whole oats, not the fast cooking stuff. Add fruit and coconut or almond milk to it and I'm a happy and full girl.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have mine with peanut butter, half a banana and 15 grams of sultanas...keeps me full. And yes I eat plain rolled oats....not the quick cooking ones or flavoured ones
  • MimiFries
    MimiFries Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/2 T. sliced almonds, 1 T. Chopped Pecans, 1 T. cranberry/raisin mix & 2 t. pourable brown sugar in my Anazing Steel Cut Oats with Flax. I eat this almost every morning & it is so filling! I love it!!
  • routehero
    routehero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats, goji berries, hemp hearts/chia seeds, greek yogurt.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I stay more full if I add butter to it and have some protein on the side like a couple eggs or a ground beef or turkey patty. Nuts are good in it and I don't know if I'm weird or what, but I really prefer sunflower seeds in oatmeal lol. I've definitely learned I can't eat just a carb and get/stay full. I do best with a combo of carb/fiber, fat and protein.

Hmm now I want some yummy oatmeal with fresh(frozen) cranberries, honey and a nice chunk of butter.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Those that add Greek Yoghurt can I ask a stupid question. Do you add it in to the cooking process or just dollop it on at the end cold.
    Only recently started using it and not sure if you can heat it up..
    Thanks
  • routehero
    routehero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I boil the water, goji berries and oats together with some cinnamon + nutmeg. i put some greek yogurt + seeds on top in the bowl.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Those that add Greek Yoghurt can I ask a stupid question. Do you add it in to the cooking process or just dollop it on at the end cold.
    Only recently started using it and not sure if you can heat it up..
    Thanks

I cook the oatmeal (one serving of steel cut takes 15 min), nuke a cup of frozen blueberries, add the cooked oatmeal, top off with cold greek yogurt - usually non fat plain but sometimes full fat plain.

My store-brand fat free plain greek yogurt has 15 mg of cholesterol in a cup (227g) serving, while the Chobani 4% plain greek yogurt has 45 mg of cholesterol in a cup (227g) serving.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I make a savory oatmeal that is really tasty… I use the old-fashioned oats and cook them with 1% milk and a large handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half, a little bit of salt-and-pepper, and a little bit of dried basil. Then I top it with a little bit of grated Romano cheese and an over easy egg. You may want to talk to your doctor about dietary cholesterol, as recent findings have shown that it does not necessarily contribute to high blood cholesterol...