I need some 10k support

Options
Famzav8
Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
I'm looking for other people out there who are training for a race, or who just love to run. I constantly have questions/ideas and would love to connect with some people that are on the same page.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    well, I commend you for signing up for a 10k, I just did my first 5k on Saturday and loved it. I've been scouring the internet for a race to do in June already! I pretty much train in intervals right now because I still need to build endurance and am hoping to start doing some hill training since that is what killed me on my 5k! Any info you can offer would be great and I will share anything I learn along the way too! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    well, I commend you for signing up for a 10k, I just did my first 5k on Saturday and loved it. I've been scouring the internet for a race to do in June already! I pretty much train in intervals right now because I still need to build endurance and am hoping to start doing some hill training since that is what killed me on my 5k! Any info you can offer would be great and I will share anything I learn along the way too! :)
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love to run! i have done everything from 5ks to marathons and triathalons and everything in between :)
  • njrower
    njrower Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will start training in July for my third half marathon. I also run 5k and 10k's on the weekend.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Novice runner here -- training for my first 10k in August, if all goes well. I'm sure I'll have questions, too, so I'm definitely going to lurk around this thread. :)
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half-marathon, but it doesn't take place until October. I just ran my first 5K on Sunday, and LOVED the experience! I'm an avid runner (I typically run about 4 times a week), and I'm just now getting into racing....I love it!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a sometimes-love, sometimes-hate relationship with running, but I always keep coming back to it. I've done 5k's & 10k's, and tried training for a half marathon but then the race was sold out when I went to register, so I lost interest. Would like to find another half marathon and give it a shot. I'm a "dogged plodder" not a speedster, so I don't race for time but just to say I finished!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and usually run 2-3 races a year. I just finished my first marathon at the beginning of this month and my next goal is to improve on my 10K time in the race they have here on Father's day.
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey, there, you inspired me. I did some internet research and not only found a half marathon in October to sign up for, but also a 10k next month at the.....get this......local lavender festival. Sweet.
  • Famzav8
    Options
    Hey, there, you inspired me. I did some internet research and not only found a half marathon in October to sign up for, but also a 10k next month at the.....get this......local lavender festival. Sweet.

That's awesome!! I am looking at a 10k that is on June 18th but am getting discouraged because I looked at last year's timed results and the last person came in at 1:10 on the 10k. Right now for a 10k I am running 11 minute miles. I'm absolutely petrified of coming in dead last. However.....if I could find a 10k coming up that was mixed with a half marathon then I wouldn't feel AS dead last. hahahahahahha
  • Famzav8
    Options

I have started some internval training also...... I think I'm going to do a 5k in a couple of weeks here just to keep me pumped up and trying hard. My whole goal when I am running, is just that. Not to walk. Sooo.... I'm not super fast, but I don't give up. For me, running past 5 miles was a total mental block. And then when i finally just kept on putting one foot in front of the other, and didnt' think about how far I had to go but just realized that my body actually felt just fine..... you just keep on going. It was such an awesome feeling. Because I've never really been "thin" I didn't think I could be a runner, but now I'm learning that it's for all types of people, and I'm finding some peace with it. It's nice.
  • Famzav8
    Options
    P.S. For those of you have that run a 10k..... do you remember what your time was on your first one?
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 10k last July with a time of around 1:09, my worst 10k time was actually 1:13. I started incorportating more interval training in and my current 10k PR is 1:05.

Just remember...first or last you are racing for you. It's hard but try not to compare your time to everyone elses and shoot for your personal best :)
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I'm a novice runner (again, I'd not run in six months)

I like the trainings of
    Galloway www.RunInjuryFree.com
    and
    Maffetone http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

When I started I did
    Galloway 8-week Conditioning program, Walking Only
    (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html)
    Galloway 8-week Conditioning program, Again, adding in the Jog Segments
    then segued into
    Galloway 5K training
    (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html)
    then segued into
    Galloway 10K training (same link, scroll down)
    then segued into
    Galloway Half Marathon Plan
    (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html)

That pretty much completed my One Year of Running, Injury-Free

And then I changed over to Maffetone-type training
    (http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2)
    using Hal Higdon's Novice schedules
    (http://www.halhigdon.com/#half)

I have three Half Marathons on the calendar now, the first one coming up is in the Fall.

I'm not ready for a 5K or 10K yet, but give me a couple months, I'll get there with ya

My first and foremost goal is to remain Injury Free,
    because that's what keeps me out there jogging the next day and the next week
    :smile:
  • rovert69
    rovert69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started running in February and just ran my first half marathon Saturday. I am very new to running as well. I received some great help from my wife who loves to run. In November the doctor told me I needed back surgery because I was having tremendous hip and leg pain when I walked or stood. Funny thing I found out was that I could run. I hated it at first but have become addicted. Just don't tell my wife that. I just spent a lot of money on a bike a couple of years ago.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best way to improve is to run as many miles each week as you can without injury. If this is your first year running then your goal probably should be to work up to somewhere around 30 miles per week and then stay at that level until it becomes easy with a couple of hard workouts and a longer run during the week. Also, try to work up to running at least four or five times a week.

The physiological changes you want so that you can run long and fast only happen through lots of miles.
  • Famzav8
    Options
    I started running in February and just ran my first half marathon Saturday. I am very new to running as well. I received some great help from my wife who loves to run. In November the doctor told me I needed back surgery because I was having tremendous hip and leg pain when I walked or stood. Funny thing I found out was that I could run. I hated it at first but have become addicted. Just don't tell my wife that. I just spent a lot of money on a bike a couple of years ago.

Hahahah! Love it
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi, you can add me as a friend. I caught the running bug from my husband. He's run since a kid (really, my first memory of him was the kid I hated because he beat the teacher during a run we were forced to complete for PE in elementary school, I was one of the last girls in!) I've been running almost 2 years now and done a few 5 and 10k's and doing my first 1/2 marathon this weekend. My first 10k was this same race last year at 1:15 and I did it in intervals, 2 weeks ago I did another one and did it in 1:00:59 :) To find local races try active.com.