What should I log for a 45 minute walk?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    In my case it is a 3.5 to 4 MET activity which means a NET burn of about 250 calories an hour, for on average 2 to 3 hours a day... hey: that equals my total deficit!

That would require your BMR to be ~2400 calories/day. I'm a substantial 6'1" male and mine is hundreds of calories lower than that.

Anyway, your numbers, your plan! :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In my case it is a 3.5 to 4 MET activity which means a NET burn of about 250 calories an hour, for on average 2 to 3 hours a day... hey: that equals my total deficit!

That would require your BMR to be ~2400 calories/day. I'm a substantial 6'1" male and mine is hundreds of calories lower than that.

Anyway, your numbers, your plan! :drinker:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Christine the Fitbit adjustment cuts through any 'settings' issue in MFP.
    It essentially replaces the MFP "activity" setting with the calories expended as measured by Fitbit.

The only problem I've run into is that with the latest firmware update on the Charge HR it has started undercounting steps and overstating calories burned, at least for me.

My CICO based on my MFP logging and Fitbit "expenditures" used to be bang on in terms of correspondence to actual weight change. It looks to me like the burn is about 300 calories overestimated compared to before (with an average of about 19,000 steps a day)

Thanks for the heads up :+1: I'll keep a close eye on it.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That would require your BMR to be ~2400 calories/day. I'm a substantial 6'1" male and mine is hundreds of calories lower than that. Anyway, your numbers, your plan! :drinker:

If you are referring to where my 250 net calories an hour comes from:
    http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/MetsCaloriesCalculator/MetsCaloriesCalculator.htm

If you are referring to my TDEE it is somewhere around 3100 based on observation.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I hit sedentary at between 2500-3000 steps

By the time I hit 10,000 I have earned an additional 350-450 calories

Of course I eat them

It works

My cardio fitness and strength gains I get in the gym and I use my HRM. My fitbit I consider my general activity tracker and it adjusts my activity setting automatically
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    If I don't count my five mile walk then what? Or is the implication that I need to do something "more?" I mean, I don't know why people think walking is to be brushed aside. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't take a leisurely stroll, I walk as fast as my little legs will carry me.

Definitely the implication is that walking is not enough of an exercise to make a difference.

And I think that it is, frankly, terrible advice to give to people who may have knee problems, or who need to find an activity they can sustainably perform to earn extra calories.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I log my walking as exercise when I actually go out and walk for a set amount of time. I do not log walking around the house (chasing children, doing chores, etc) as exercise, but my vivofit counts the steps. I've been averaging over 20k/day, but that includes my exercises. Would I be able to bump up to active?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't log my 10k steps. Before starting my logging, I was doing maybe a couple thousand steps on a good day and rarely anymore than that.

But...usually on days I hit 10k or more (best is about 25k right now), I am intentionally doing a fast walk or hike or something, so I log it as that specific exercise instead. I never take 500 calories for just a walk though - other than hiking. I take my hiking up and downhill on rocky, root-filled terrain calories LOL - don't eat them all though. Sometimes my daily 10k is a slow paced walk while shopping or something. At the same time, I don't stress if I go over my calories a little when I know I'm set on sedentary and I'm walking so much more than what sedentary means.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I went from hardly being able to walk a mile to walking 8 or more a day. I also run but on my long walk days I definitely do count them. Those long walk days usually account for 180 or more minutes of my day.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Miles walked * body weight in pounds * 0.3 => calories burned walking
    My understanding is that the speed at which you walk makes a significant difference. An 18:30 mile is not a 13:30 mile.

Is that not the case?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I hit sedentary at between 2500-3000 steps

By the time I hit 10,000 I have earned an additional 350-450 calories

Of course I eat them

It works

My cardio fitness and strength gains I get in the gym and I use my HRM. My fitbit I consider my general activity tracker and it adjusts my activity setting automatically

This is where I am too. I set mine to "lightly active" because I get between 10-15k steps six days a week. I don't get any exercise credit until I go over 5k steps, then I eat back about 75% of them. (I also swim 3 hours a week plus 3 hours of water aerobics and eat back about 25-50% of those calories, depending on how hungry I am)

And yes, it works:

58841349.png
  • earlnabby
    Options
    My understanding is that the speed at which you walk makes a significant difference. An 18:30 mile is not a 13:30 mile.

Is that not the case?

Not as much as you would think. Same thing with walking vs running. If you walk a mile you will burn about 90% of the same calories as if you ran that mile. Running just gets you there faster. Time, on the other hand, makes a difference. Running for 30 minutes definitely burns more than walking for 30 minutes. Walking at 4 mph burns more than walking at 3 mph over the same period of time.

• Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The only excerise I can do is walking. I started 127 days ago by walking. In the beginning I only walked about 30 mins a few days a week. Now I am up to 60 mins or 3.75 miles, 5 times aweek. I have lost 27#!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Is that not the case?

Not as much as you would think. Same thing with walking vs running. If you walk a mile you will burn about 90% of the same calories as if you ran that mile. Running just gets you there faster. Time, on the other hand, makes a difference. Running for 30 minutes definitely burns more than walking for 30 minutes. Walking at 4 mph burns more than walking at 3 mph over the same period of time.
    "Walking is a different kind of animal. Increases in walking speed dramatically raise calorie burn per mile as well as per minute. Indeed, at about 12:30 per mile, walking hits a point where it burns about the same calories/mile as running. Walk faster than 12:30 and you will burn more calories/mile than running at 10:00 pace."

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

• earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Is that not the case?

"Walking is a different kind of animal. Increases in walking speed dramatically raise calorie burn per mile as well as per minute. Indeed, at about 12:30 per mile, walking hits a point where it burns about the same calories/mile as running. Walk faster than 12:30 and you will burn more calories/mile than running at 10:00 pace."

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

"Actually, the difference in calories burned per mile or kilometer is very small, and there is no difference at higher walking speeds."

walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm

"Distance wise, a 160 pound person burns about 100 calories per mile walking or running. If you look at it on a calories-burned-per-hour basis, a person will burn more calories by running an hour rather than walking an hour. "
    fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/walking-vs-running-which-one-is-best.html#b

etc, etc, etc.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Obviously, running for an hour will burn more than waking for an hour. I don't know anyone who questions that.

Plenty of people question whether walking 2 miles an hour burns the same as walking 4+ miles per hour.

Apparently, there's even one study showing that, at least for the obese, walking more slowly burns more calories, apparently due to inertia and momentum involving the extra weight.

All the more reason I don't explicitly eat back any exercise calories. There's too much "it depends" to generalize.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    When I take my dog for a standard "walk" I give it about 100 calories for 1 mile. 200 calories for 2 miles. I gave myself some extra calories yesterday because while it was 2 miles, it was partly on rocky terrain with some small hills (hiking in the woods) as opposed to just walking on the flat road like I usually do. So for that I gave myself 225 calories. It took me a little over an hour, because the dog had to stop and go swimming, and chase chipmunks and ducks, and snuffle here and there, so while she did more miles than me (probably double lol), she slowed me down a lot. :tongue:

The app however, (Map My Walk) wanted to tell me I did 450 calories. I never take the full amount.

I do not give myself credit for walking around in the grocery store shopping, or showing houses to people while I'm working, or walking around the house (unless I am doing "deliberate" extra walking up and down the stairs for exercise.)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid walker mostly because I have venous insufficiency and my doctor recommended I not run due to the stress on the circulatory system in my legs. I sneak in a little running 5-10-15 minutes at 5.0-5.5 mph but honestly when I'm power/race walking at 4.3 to 4.5 mph, I'm getting in a real good workout. My arms are pumping the whole time and the range of motion from hips to feet seems more dynamic than a 5.0 mph jog, IMHO.

I only log walking as exercise when I'm going at least 4.0 mph--enough to create a good cardio session.

My daily "steps" outside of exercise are just that and I don't count them as exercise--even if I'm walking a lot that day, such as at an outdoor festival or attending a convention.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Regardless I always log my walks and I do not eat back my calories. And I think walking is way underrated! The physical changes I see just from walking are phenomenal :p

Angel what kind of physical changes have you seen?
    I've only been walking seriously for the last couple of weeks. I'm shiny and new and still excited by the whole walking as exercise thing :bigsmile:

Me toooooo! I can't wait till next month for my FitBit Charge HR. I've been using a stop watch and walk as fast as I can (almost run, but not), so I log it as 3.5 mph. I only just started eating back some of the calories, but with the FitBit I am hoping to be more accurate. I also started weight training (do my 4th session today in a week) and walking was the gateway to that and step aerobics! I feel "shiny and new" as well and my clothes are falling off.. I am excited about weighing next month! The endorphins are awesome and it seems the more walks I take throughout a day, the more stuff I want to do. It's an addictiton I am enjoying the hecka heck out of :smiley:

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread has just left me more confused than ever.