Saunas

Options
So here's the question of the day! How many calories do you burn by sitting in a sauna. I'm not trying to lose weight in the sauna but I've always enjoyed sitting in it after a long hard work out every once in awhile. I noticed online it said between 300-500 in 30 minute. Thoughts please!

Replies

• GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    are you alone in this sauna or.......
  • shellbell2312
    Options
    I'm not even to the sauna yet! lol and you didn't answer the question!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You actually don't "burn calories" in a sauna anymore than you do sitting around elsewhere (your body naturally burns calories - it is just exacerbated in exercise). you do sweat a lot - which is good for some of us, but make sure you re-hydrate (with water) afterward

**EDIT - PS: I love sitting in a sauna, helps me feel "de-tox'd" but a calorie burn requires exertion. Hope that helps.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Saunas weight loss is just water weight not caloric weight. As soon as you drink water your body sponges it all back.
  • kaylaCdewire1311
    Options
    I've often wondered that myself. I have one at home and I use it regularly... GREAT after a workout.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    I used to think the same thing, it is literally just water. Now if you were sitting in a freezer you'd burn calories trying to stay warm. Maybe you should sit in a freezer lol j/k
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You do burn calories sitting in the sauna just as you burn calories sitting at home on the couch. Your body burns calories just to keep functioning. Now since the heat of the sauna causes your heart rate to go up, your body is using more energy so you are burning more calories than just sitting on the couch. Try wearing a HRM to see just how many you are burning.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'd use the sauna more if it weren't for all of the hairy men (sorry hairy men).
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'd use the sauna more if it weren't for all of the hairy men (sorry hairy men).

totally...
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

totally...

I should add that I'm a man... just not of the hairy variety...