Smashing Out

Options
I ate way more than I should have yesterday. But I think one smash day a week is good, so that you don't smash out all the time. What do you think?

Replies

• VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it helps. I prefer to spread calories over the weekend, so I can eat more on those days.

Planning your calorie intake based on your personal routine and vulnerabilities will make a huge difference.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think if you stick within your calorie defecit across the week it doesn't matter

If you consider you are in some kind of deprivation mode and need to "cheat" you will crash and burn
  • cptdetroit
    cptdetroit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's easy to forget that one day won't destroy you, but I've noticed I can't sit on the couch too long without smashing hardcore. No more binge watching Netflix! Lol
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree. My "cheat days" aren't nearly as bad as they used to be but I do have days were I am way more lenient with my eating :)
  • cptdetroit
    Options
    @pineapple_peach10 - same here. My previous cheat days were 7 or 8k calorie days. Two double cheeseburgers, fries, pizza, etc. yesterday was under 4k, so that's an improvement for me.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    For me its a bad thing. I have a problem with Friday nights that set me back about a week when I weigh on a Saturday morning. It takes me all week to get back to where I was the previous Saturday. I loose and gain the same 7 lbs constantly. I didnt drink on a Friday night for 2 weeks and lost consistently THEN the little devil on my shoulder told me I deserved a treat and here I am, back to where I was last Saturday!

I wont be listening to him this Friday. I was so close (just 10lbs from my first target). I'm so cross with myself. The psychology of weight loss is much more of a challenge to me than the actual 'dieting'. I have to learn what my weaknesses and strengths are and work within my limits. No Friday night treats for me!

I do make sure that I get my little treats during the week. A chunk of chocolate, a hot chocolate at bedtime, sometimes I even fit an ice cream into my day but when it comes to Friday night and I have a drink, I loose all control. I know it happens and I keep doing it. I am such a control freak the rest of the time its the relief of loosing control, then the guilt afterwards.
  • cptdetroit
    Options
    @Karen_libert I had a similar problem with eating and not drinking. I weigh myself only every two weeks. That usually helps to show larger losses and this way trains my brain to not focus so much on the number as opposed to measurements. Fitting into smaller pants means more than gaining a pound or two of muscle mass. You know?
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    cptdetroit wrote: »
    @pineapple_peach10 - same here. My previous cheat days were 7 or 8k calorie days. Two double cheeseburgers, fries, pizza, etc. yesterday was under 4k, so that's an improvement for me.

Haha me too!!!! I would "cheat" from the moment I woke up until bedtime. I would make sure I had fast food at least once and buy lots of candy and stuff for dessert. I wanted to make my cheat days count lol.

Now, I physically can't do it!!! I start to feel way too sick if I eat too much junk. I will usually have dinner out or something and stick to my usual foods the rest of the day.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    cptdetroit wrote: »
    @Karen_libert I had a similar problem with eating and not drinking. I weigh myself only every two weeks. That usually helps to show larger losses and this way trains my brain to not focus so much on the number as opposed to measurements. Fitting into smaller pants means more than gaining a pound or two of muscle mass. You know?

I don't know if I could resist the scale for 2 weeks! I went from weekly to daily because I found if I had gained or maintained I was angry with myself for the whole week. By weighing daily I get to see the number going down and that encourages me.

I just need to snap out of this sense of entitlement to have a drink on a Friday night. That's what Fridays are for!

I just want to add, this is not an alcohol problem, it's a control problem. I had 4 or 5 1oz drinks of whiskey with diet coke. That's enough for me to be able to ignore the angel on my right shoulder and listen to the devil on my left.

I'm back on it today
  • louiseyates1
    louiseyates1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat day a week, and I don't go to the gym that day either. But I double up in exercise the next day. And watch what I eat too.
    I feel that if you don't allow yourself a break you just resent restricting yourself and will fail continuously
  • Cynnamon
    Cynnamon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to find a yummy but low calorie alternative... I love light kettle popcorn, thats my go to sweet smash lol
  • cptdetroit
    Options
    "Sweet smash." I love it. Lol