physical job so hungry when I get home.

Options
I have a very physical job. I walk and lift a lot of heavy items everyday. I do great with calorie counting until iI get home. Then I eat more when I get home at 11 pm. Any ideas on what to do.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I also work a physically demanding job . when I get home , I'm absolutely ravenous!!
    What I do is , I watch my calories very closely during the day and try to save a large portion for after work. Then I can come home and eat a very large meal without going over my goal.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Eat enough food to support your activity levels?

Did you put your activity level here as sedentary or something?
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    A protein bar can help you.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Plan for your post-work eating so that you don't just grab whatever's closest/easiest because you're so hungry.
    I work a pretty active job part-time, so I eat at 5am before I head off to work, then if I'm doing a 4-hour shift I don't worry about taking food with me, but I'll make sure there's something ready to cook/eat when I get in. Usually eggs because they're so quick and protein is filling, but possibly crackers and pate, cheese or ham, or cottage cheese. If I do a full day, though, I have to take food. I take some form of fruit, possibly some beef jerky or a protein bar, and then some carbs (biscuits/flapjacks) and nuts. I have lunch stuff ready for as soon as I get in, and I'll usually snack again before dinner, because an 8-hour shift makes me SO hungry!

If you're able to, have a couple of snacks at work, have a protein-heavy meal before you start, and have protein as soon as possible after you finish to try to stop yourself binging (if binging is an issue).
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I work construction all day, so when I get home, I still have over half my calories left for a big meal. Maybe you need to change what you eat DURING work so your body doesn't feel like it's as hungry when you get home. Carbs, protein and healthy fats are a great way for energy, keeping away hunger, and staying more awake.
  • godsplague1369
    godsplague1369 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Eat enough food to support your activity levels?

Did you put your activity level here as sedentary or something?
    I had it at active. I was at 1900 it went to 2400