Low Sodium - any harm?

Options
I've learnt on here that too much sodium makes us retain water, but is there any harm in too little sodium? Although I eat all or most of my calories daily, I sometimes have about 1000 left on the sodium tab. Is there any harm in this?

While we're at it, is the goal just to eat the right amount of calories, or can there be any harm in sometimes the protein, fat etc sometimes being under too?

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I think MFP overestimates what your sodium intake should be. I try to stay around 1500 or so. They have 2500 listed.
    This link may be helpful :)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • Teeeravis
    Teeeravis Posts: 16
    Options
    That number sounds fine, your body does actually need SOME sodium, but the problem is generally people take in tooooo much.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You should be fine as the iodine in sodium is all we really need in it, and is found in most foods anyway. Just try to stick to about 1500mg a day
  • dianeensey
    dianeensey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, MFP does seem high. However one thing to watch out during the summer is getting your salt intake too low. I did that once, felt dizzy and sick and actually had to drink some salt water (yuck).
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Your sodium would have to be practically nonexistent to be too low. You generally get all you need from food alone. It's when people add table salt that they can get into trouble and take in too much.

As for your balance of carbs, protein and fats -- check the link in my signature for info about balancing micronutrients.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    There is such thing as not getting enough sodium but unless you're a long distance runner I think you're ok. It sounds like you're eating about 1,500 which is totally fine.

I found that now that I'm eating more clean food and hardly any processed food it's easy to keep the sodium low. It's only when I go to restaurants that it's even close.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The National Academy of Sciences recommends that Americans consume a minimum of 500 mg/day of sodium to maintain good health. 1500 mg is the ideal amount. Over 2500 mg is excessive.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If I'm low on sodium one day, I usually just add a tiny tiny pinch of salt to whatever I'm eating & I'm good. I think anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 mg is good, but just to safe, I always try to get about 2,500. And as for protein, iron, etc., if I'm way under on some of these, I usually eat something rich in that vitamin, regardless of my calories. But that's just me. Right now I'm more worried about nutrition rather than weight. But again, that's just me.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just try to stick to about 1500mg a day

Yep 1500mg is what I try to stay under. MFP over estimates.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, you can go too low. What's too low for you may be different for someone else. But salt is something your body needs and can't produce on its own.
  • Chog
    Chog Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, think I'm about right from what you've all said :) Cheers!