Ladies..I feel like I am going to explode......

Options
Ok so this is my first few weeks I've been putting in an effort to eat right, decrease my calories and exercise to reach my goal of losing 34 lbs and I have been feeling pretty good although my progress is slow! But it seems like my PMS this month has gotten real bad and my stomach feels like its going to explode although I've only eaten 4 cucumber sticks and half a sandwich all day today and its 3:30 p.m. I don't even have an appetite. I forced the half sandwich because I didn't want my body to go into starvation mode. And I haven't been feeling great in the last two days.

And my poor boyfriend (who works and lives with me), I just want to rip his head off for everything...but I don't know what that everything is???? I've been avoiding him so that I wouldn't rip him apart! Did I mention I don't know why I am mad at him??? I feel like crawling into bed under the covers and just crying my eyes out!

What is going on with me??? Am I just having a bad month? Could this be an effect of the rapid changes I've been making in the last few weeks?? Has anyone else been through this? If so, how have you coped...because I'm struggling!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get some fresh air (if it's not pouring down rain near you)! You'll feel much better if you get a walk in. It will also help your body to deal with a rush of hormones or stress.

Even if you get 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there...it's very helpful.

I find that when I workout I sleep better, eat better, and overall perform better as a human! Fresh air makes a huge difference if you are trapped indoors all day (working in an office like me).

Also, you may want to get a blood test done just to make sure your hormones are at an okay balance!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you that the first few months of my lifestyle changed made me have the WORST PMS symptoms. OMG. It was so bad I hated myself. I think it is our bodies adjusting to what we're doing to it AND going through TOM. It has gotten better as my body has gotten used to things. I've heard of people trying Midol to try and take the edge off. Also, less sodium and more water is supposed to help. Frankly, NOTHING helped me. I was just a complete and total crank.
  • jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Um, you sound like me every month! lol if you don't feel like eating I wouldn't force yourself. There is a lot of talk on here about starvation mode, but if it's only for a couple of days you'll be fine. Just make sure you are getting plenty of water, that will help with the bloating as well. As for the moodiness you just need to use your self-control. Let your bf know that you are having a rough time and are feeling a little snippy, and you might need to have a little more time to yourself. And then just keep your mouth shut!
  • teamsaris
    teamsaris Posts: 30
    Options
    Just a thought....could you be pregnant? I have three children and with each of my pregnancies I felt EXACTLY the same way right before I found out.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You sound like me when I'm not on birth control. The first thing I do is warn my hubby. I tell him point blank that I'm feeling rather *****y and while I will try to control it I'm feeling the urge to bite his head off for no reason. At least that gives him fair warning. I don't have the not wanting to eat problem, I have the opposite one, but I'd try something small and light- a scrambled egg or a slice of toast with a little peanut butter.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You could be detoxing... eating better, working out.. I would up the water and work out, then get a good funny movie or a chick flick and cuddle up on the couch with some hot tea and relax. = ) We all have bad months.. I do think it has to do with your body releasing.. These could even be feelings you stuffed years, months, weeks ago..

be gentle with yourself and your guy if you can.

p.s. I would just be honest with him and tell him you are feeling really on edge and that it isn't him.. its you and you just need time to get through it..
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Calm down, breathe, and nibble on some dark chocolate. It soothes your nerves, speeds up metabolism slightly, and helps cramps. Take a midol and just relax. Seriously, breathing exercises help.
  • imaprncs
    imaprncs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i was the same when I was pregnant, both times!
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it I have been super cranky lately myself. I though that it was just me though. But, I have had a hard time trying to kick it too! If you figure it out I could surely use an answer myself!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have always notice a change in my level of "patience" just before and during my period. After starting my diet, I was more tired than usual because I was pushing my numbers really hard. Stress plays a factor as well and if you are under stress (like who isn't nowadays) I would suggest trying to give yourself a break during this time. A special dinner or treat that will make you feel better and a nice walk afterwards (not to feel like your cheating). Or, change it around and eat less and stop any physical activity till you feel comfortable. Hope this helps...this is something that we ladies go through but everyone has different responses to it.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP, my system went whacko. I can relate to your symptoms, if i'm not on the pill, i'm the same way.. want to burn down walls because that paint colour IS JUST NOT MAKING ME HAPPY, GRRRR!!! (can we say irrational anger??) But when I started this change of lifestyle, my TOM disappeared... It has just come back, but was freaking the hell out of me.

When i get that kind of anger, I just try to warn those close to me, and take some time to myself. I hope it's just a bad month for you, but making some major changes can really wreak havoc on things. Hang in there, and good luck!
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get some fresh air (if it's not pouring down rain near you)! You'll feel much better if you get a walk in. It will also help your body to deal with a rush of hormones or stress.

Even if you get 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there...it's very helpful.

I find that when I workout I sleep better, eat better, and overall perform better as a human! Fresh air makes a huge difference if you are trapped indoors all day (working in an office like me).

Also, you may want to get a blood test done just to make sure your hormones are at an okay balance!

agreed!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    When you lose fat cells, they contain a lot of hormones. Consider yourself lucky. I know some gastric bypass patients (like me) who went through the same thing. They ripped their husbands head off, on a daily basis for months!!! So what is happening ,you are losing fat and fat cells have your hormones stored in them so...... you get all jacked around...and your inner monster makes an appereance. You'll get all jacked up and then it subsides. Kind of like going through menopause. (I'm glad thats over with too) Hang in there sweetie, it gets better.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling like that, the only thing that helps is either a nap or a good cry.
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you're coming from and have such a hard time letting that anger go. It's especially annoying when my bf is so calm and happy-go-lucky. That tends to annoy me even more! Poor guy!

Just like everyone else, I would say that you should give yourself a break. Do something nice for you - buy a new pair of shoes, treat yourself to a facial, whatever you think will make you feel recharged. When that recharging happens, make a date with your guys. Yes, you're together all the time, but even those couples that are together 24/7 should go on a date everyonce in a while.

I hope you feel better very soon!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    This happened to me my first month. I got in a terrible fight with my sister via email. I was out of control. I raised me calorie intake and that problem stopped and I lost weight better.

I know you're not hungry now, but maybe you're being too strict day to day.

I second the poster that said a little dark chocolate and a midol can help as well.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try eating some almonds. Full of vitamin E which is supposed to help and quite a lot of calories so will help keep your intake up
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I took a night off....watched a chick flick, warned my boyfriend, and he made me a nice dinner and was extremely great!

I realized last night why I was so mad at my boyfriend. I think I started to resent the fact that he eats and drinks what he wants yet sheds it off like he never had it. He doesn't work out either. I think I also resent him for just being a guy liking to look at hot chicks when I don't feel so hot since I packed on the extra pounds. None of this his fault...just my PMS and own insecurities coming out!

In 16 years I've never had a PMS this bad. I always get a few symptoms.....but not like this....everything all at once freaked me out! Especially the feeling sick part. PT test came out negative. I guess some it has to do with my lifestyle change and the stresses and guilt of all the restrictions I put myself on!

I told my boyfriend that I posted this forum, and told him how awesome and supportive people on MFP are!!! This is a great site!