Getting a FitBit Charge HR & Electric kitchen scale next month

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I finally fit this into my budget for next month and found it at Wally world yesterday for 149 bucks! I've been doing the best I can with my standard "not" digital electric scale and I want to get a quality electric one as well next month. I've shed 9 pounds (that I know of) since February 16th of this year. I know it's more, but waiting for the surprise when I weigh next month :mrgreen:

I've read about the FitBit and like how the Charge HR sounds. I do like step aerobics and would like to know if it gives the data on my steps (6" step). Also, I walk and hit many hills and such. The info on this FitBit says it accounts for climbing stairs (I beleive). Would really like to hear others opinions (who use this FitBit Charge HR) on this.

Also, I have never used a kitchen scale before I joined MFP. So, ideas of what I can get at walmart (I don't purchase much online) in an affordable range, like 30 bucks or so.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to get the FitBit. I already like earning calories. I don't always use them and when I do I only eat about 1/2, but it's fun to add up and inspires me to do more throughout the day :smiley:

Edit: I meant the scale I have now is not a digital electric scale.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The 'counting stairs' function on Fitbits uses an altimeter, so an aerobic step isn't going to trigger it. But the stairs count also doesn't affect calorie burn so it's no big deal. Stepping up is a resistance exercise, which is something Fitbits typically don't track well but the HR might do ok with it, since your heart rate should run higher and they say that does affect calorie burn. I tried a Charge HR with treadmill incline and a HRM on and it didn't do a great job for me of reflecting the increase in heart rate and presumably calories, but you might have better luck. A Fitbit excels at motivating you to move more so if you can get past any estimate error, you can still get a ton of benefit from it.

I don't shop much at Walmart but there should be tons of options all over for digital kitchen scales under $30. Be sure it has a tare function and settings for grams and ounces both and you can see the display with a plate or bowl on it, and you should be good.

Good luck!
  • uvi5
    Options
    I'm hoping that because it has a HRM on it that it will help some. A bit disappointed that it did not account for the incline when you were on the treadmill, bummer. I am still researching on what I want to get to be more accurate with my burns. I don't want to fork out 150 bucks to get something that does not work well. Thanks for letting me know this. There's a certain amount of time that I will have with Walmart to return it, like 15 days or so. I will try it out and if it does not work well for me, i'll take it back.

As for the scale, I just found this one after reading your reply: http://www.walmart.com/ip/37531702?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026398457&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42534907832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81191693072&veh=sem

Under 14 bucks! Yeah! is this a good one? It shows that it has a tare function, but not sure for grams and ounces. What's a tare function? Again thank You!
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The tare function is "zeroing" the scale when there is something on it. It is really useful for adding ingredients together - say, put a slice of bread on it, hit tare so it reads zero, then add mayo to the bread and replace it on the scale, now you know exactly how many grams of mayo have been added without math. Then you can hit tare again and add tomato or whatever and once again, know exactly how much weight in tomatoes. Also helpful when baking so you can just add the dry ingredients one by one by weight instead of measuring. That is the exact scale I have and it does do ounces and grams, and I've had it for... 3 years or so? Maybe longer, don't remember exactly, but it is still going!
  • uvi5
    Options
    Wow, thank you for clearing that up! What a dream come true. This is going to make it soooo much easier. I'm so getting this scale next month!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Charge HR and returned it. I think mine was malfunctioning, though. It did not accurately track how long I walked/ran (number was WAY off of treadmill) even after setting stride length. It also told me a few times that I took the stairs 29 times but I had only taken them 3 or 4. From the adjustment it did to MFP, I think it does take into account stairs as part of your burn because on those days I had a higher adjustment without doing anything different. I am using the Polar FT 7 now to track heart rate and calorie burn (all I really wanted in the first place) and really enjoy it. Was also half the price on Amazon!
  • uvi5
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Charge HR and returned it. I think mine was malfunctioning, though. It did not accurately track how long I walked/ran (number was WAY off of treadmill) even after setting stride length. It also told me a few times that I took the stairs 29 times but I had only taken them 3 or 4. From the adjustment it did to MFP, I think it does take into account stairs as part of your burn because on those days I had a higher adjustment without doing anything different. I am using the Polar FT 7 now to track heart rate and calorie burn (all I really wanted in the first place) and really enjoy it. Was also half the price on Amazon!

I'm really glad I asked about this. I'm still researching and want to get the best I can for my 150 bucks next month. Calorie burn and HR are the most I need. I am looking into the Polar FT 7 right now. Thanks loads!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that because it has a HRM on it that it will help some. A bit disappointed that it did not account for the incline when you were on the treadmill, bummer. I am still researching on what I want to get to be more accurate with my burns. I don't want to fork out 150 bucks to get something that does not work well. Thanks for letting me know this. There's a certain amount of time that I will have with Walmart to return it, like 15 days or so. I will try it out and if it does not work well for me, i'll take it back.

As for the scale, I just found this one after reading your reply: http://www.walmart.com/ip/37531702?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026398457&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42534907832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81191693072&veh=sem

Under 14 bucks! Yeah! is this a good one? It shows that it has a tare function, but not sure for grams and ounces. What's a tare function? Again thank You!
    That scale is virtually identical to mine. It does have grams, ounces and pounds. That's what the UNIT button changes. I've had it for many years and never had a problem with it.

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge hr and I love it. Mine is accurate. I test it from time to time by counting steps and then checking to make sure it is adding the same amount. The only thing that I do not like is that you do not get credit for the walking you do while pushing a shopping cart. Otherwise, I love it! It has been life changing for me.
  • uvi5
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »
    I have the fitbit charge hr and I love it. Mine is accurate. I test it from time to time by counting steps and then checking to make sure it is adding the same amount. The only thing that I do not like is that you do not get credit for the walking you do while pushing a shopping cart. Otherwise, I love it! It has been life changing for me.

It doesn't calculate calories burned for walking?? I don't like that.. Thanks for letting me know
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit Charge HR and it was VERY inaccurate counting steps, anywhere between 25% and 40%. (It always under counted.) I returned it thinking it was defective and got a new one that had the exact same results. I have a measured route I used to test it, and I actually counted steps several times (100, 200, etc), plus tested it against my treadmill and each time Fitbit was under by a large percentage. Fitbit number two was also returned. Their customer support suggested a "reboot" to insure I had the latest version of firmware, but that made no difference. I was very disappointed with my device and plan on waiting to purchase another fitness tracker until the bugs are worked out. Fitbit is a "step based counter" and that makes the inaccuracy of steps unacceptable to me.
  • uvi5
    Options

That scale is virtually identical to mine. It does have grams, ounces and pounds. That's what the UNIT button changes. I've had it for many years and never had a problem with it.

groovers! Will get next month! Thanks

• uvi5
    Options
    vjessup wrote: »
    I had the Fitbit Charge HR and it was VERY inaccurate counting steps, anywhere between 25% and 40%. (It always under counted.) I returned it thinking it was defective and got a new one that had the exact same results. I have a measured route I used to test it, and I actually counted steps several times (100, 200, etc), plus tested it against my treadmill and each time Fitbit was under by a large percentage. Fitbit number two was also returned. Their customer support suggested a "reboot" to insure I had the latest version of firmware, but that made no difference. I was very disappointed with my device and plan on waiting to purchase another fitness tracker until the bugs are worked out. Fitbit is a "step based counter" and that makes the inaccuracy of steps unacceptable to me.

Whoa! I am so glad I asked this question before spending 140 bucks next month! I'm getting more nays than yays on the fitbit. Bummer, I was so excited. Any idea of a good tracker for steps, calories burned w/ HRM?
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I love it, I use it in conjunction with my polar ft7 heart rate monitor. From what I have read online you would be better off using a heart rate monitor for steady state cardio. I have not read the best reviews for fitbit heart rate monitors but I personally haven't used one so I can't really comment on that. Good luck! :smile:
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be getting a fitbit surge this week (for my birthday). I'm buying mine from best buy, as it's the newer model from where I've looked it's the same price everywhere. Plus my dad has plus membership or w/e it's called from spending X amount in a calendar year, so he gets extended returns. The forums I've looked at seem to be scattered with this product is awesome! To this product is useless and so inaccurate! That is why I prefer to purchase from a store, and when/if it doesn't work or breaks I will march back up there and give it back and get a refund. Best buy from what I've seen has a good return policy for extended warranties tho I'm not sure on a $250 (for the surge) item will be. I bought a headset there and taped the receipt to the box, returned it like a year or two later when it stopped working, it was a no muss no fuss return. Can't speak for everyone tho I'm sure some people have bad experiences.

Basically you're going to get mixed reviews on the fitbit, but I would say buy it from a store, and if it doesn't work take it right back. Places like walmart actually price match Amazon now from what I've read. Also if you buy from best buy I noticed they will set it up for you and have it working before you even leave the store so that seems like a nice plus too. And no I don't work for best buy or try to make you go there just saying from my experience :) Currently I am using a polar watch which is great, but the fitbits don't require the chest strap which is a big plus for me and I like that they track steps and can track all day. Plus the kind I'm getting will monitor sleep patterns too which I am interested to see :) Sorry for writing a book :P lol
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I'm really glad I asked about this. I'm still researching and want to get the best I can for my 150 bucks next month. Calorie burn and HR are the most I need. I am looking into the Polar FT 7 right now. Thanks loads!

You're welcome. Whatever you decided to go with definitely check out the return policy. I bought my fitbit at target and it was 30 days. It was 45 days when I decided to return it. Luckily I paid with my target debit card and had an extra 30 days.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    IAmTheGlue wrote: »

It doesn't calculate calories burned for walking?? I don't like that.. Thanks for letting me know
    It does, it just can't tell you're walking if it's on your wrist and your wrist isn't moving because it's on a cart.

Honestly I like the torso-worn Fitbits. I don't think people really need a HRM unless they want to do specific interval workouts or want to make sure they're not exercising too non-vigorously, or vigorously. All the gadgets just spit out calorie estimates, same as the databases. You don't need to be precise to be successful.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex and it'll count my steps even if my arm isn't swinging. I'll have the Fitbit app open on my phone - which means my phone is being held close to my body, arm not moving a whole lot - and the step number will continue to climb. I wear my Flex on my right hand.

If you input your stride length, your Fitbit should do a pretty good job counting steps for you. Mine was WAY off initially, but I've got really short legs. Input the correct stride length and bingo! It is now spot on.

It's probably off by 100 steps or so either way on a given day. I know if I'm doing an activity with lots of arm movement, that'll skew things. In the long run, though, it hasn't been a big deal.

Here's how I use my Fitbit with MFP:
    • Set up the same weight loss goal on both sites (ie: 250 cal deficit/day)
    • Leave MFP set at Sedentary
    • Log all food in MFP
    • Log exercise in Fitbit
    • Follow calorie goal given by MFP
    • Ignore calorie goal given by Fitbit
    • Record weight gains/losses in Fitbit (and they get pushed over to Trendweight.com so I can see if I'm going down, up or kinda plateaued.

Over the last 30 days, these are the numbers I've gotten from Fitbit:

Average intake: 1668 calories
    Average Burn: 1999 calories

Doing the math gives me a deficit of 331 calories per day. 331*30/3500 (deficit*30 days/calories to lose a pound) = expected loss of 2.837 pounds.

I don't have a scale reading from this specific date, but March 11 I was 128.5. Today, I'm 124.

In the previous 30 days, it was almost 100% accurate. This time around, not quite - but I lost more than expected, which is good enough by me! I don't have much to lose anymore so my weight ping pongs all over the place.

Apologies for the essay....just wanted to share what I've seen and what's worked for me :)

~Lyssa
  • uvi5
    Options
    I may wait for a while now after research and replys. Not sure if i need/want it now. I only will eat back 50 % or 75% at most and I love the workouts (especially when I am done), so I'll see. But for sure my scale woot woot! Thanks all for the help :smiley:
  • uvi5
    Options
    SwtKittN wrote: »
    I'm going to be getting a fitbit surge this week (for my birthday). I'm buying mine from best buy, as it's the newer model from where I've looked it's the same price everywhere. Plus my dad has plus membership or w/e it's called from spending X amount in a calendar year, so he gets extended returns. The forums I've looked at seem to be scattered with this product is awesome! To this product is useless and so inaccurate! That is why I prefer to purchase from a store, and when/if it doesn't work or breaks I will march back up there and give it back and get a refund. Best buy from what I've seen has a good return policy for extended warranties tho I'm not sure on a $250 (for the surge) item will be. I bought a headset there and taped the receipt to the box, returned it like a year or two later when it stopped working, it was a no muss no fuss return. Can't speak for everyone tho I'm sure some people have bad experiences.

Basically you're going to get mixed reviews on the fitbit, but I would say buy it from a store, and if it doesn't work take it right back. Places like walmart actually price match Amazon now from what I've read. Also if you buy from best buy I noticed they will set it up for you and have it working before you even leave the store so that seems like a nice plus too. And no I don't work for best buy or try to make you go there just saying from my experience :) Currently I am using a polar watch which is great, but the fitbits don't require the chest strap which is a big plus for me and I like that they track steps and can track all day. Plus the kind I'm getting will monitor sleep patterns too which I am interested to see :) Sorry for writing a book :P lol

I appreciate the input :smile:
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Id just like to say i absolutely love my charge hr! I think some people have a default product, or have the setting wrong (which arm, activity level, stride length). I checked my hr and steps manually and its always pretty accurate. I am so glad i just bought it, despite some reviews. And i also heard you have to give it a chance, such as a week or two to get more accustomed to you, but mine seemed to work great from the beginning. Just do your research, pick whatevers best for you. People have varying opinions and there will be good and bad for anything. I read the reviews and decided to take a chance.

Also, i use the treadmill at the gym alot, one that allows me to enter my weight. The calories and heart rate are almost identical. Now i realize the machines can overestimate, but just wanted to let you know there are some people who love their fitbits! In fact, my brother has since gotten one and loves his as well.

I do have them linked, but never enabled negative adjustment. I follow mfp strictly for calories/food, because ive had such success here. As for the scale, make sure you buy one that reads grams! I thoughy i did, but the one i got from walmart only reads ounces. Ive spent alot of time calculating ounces to grams lol.
    Best of luck in whatever you decide!