How do I get motivated?

Options
to walk? Mom went for a walk and I didn't want to go. Sigh.

Replies

• eukleja
    eukleja Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Put on your shoes! Sometimes it's the little things that will get you going. I found if I just tell myself "I'll get dressed" by the time I put on my shoes, I have the motivation to just start walking/working out. Also, do you listen to music? When I take my pups out for a walk I'm likely to take them further if I have some headphones on... Hope you got out on your walk!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agree.....put your shoes on, then follow your mom. The first few minutes (10?) may not be inspirational but keep going. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying it. Make a point of telling yourself at the onset how long your walk will be (no less than 30 minutes; 60 is better) and then stick to it.
    Once started you'll feel better about it. Been there; done that.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You won't always feel motivated. You just have to make yourself do it anyway sometimes.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    There is no magic trick. I told myself for years "I need to do this or that ". Well that's time I won't get back. For those who "do", they simply just do...until it becomes second nature.
  • tiffany82manross
    tiffany82manross Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It can be really hard to get motivated to exercise. One thing that I've found is if I get home from work and IMMEDIATELY change into my exercise clothes, I'll actually exercise. It's kind of an inertia thing (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, while an object at rest will stay at rest).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    to walk? Mom went for a walk and I didn't want to go. Sigh.
    It's an internal thing. For some it "just clicks". For others, maybe an event happened that got them thinking. There's no time or trick, it's really just got to be something that happens when you want something bad enough.
    You can be inspired, cheered on, supported, etc., but in the end if you DON'T want to do something, that stuff is just noise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png