Best exercise?

Options
What works for you guys? I have a gym membership a park a few streets away and a bunch of dvds. I have yoga booty ballet, billys boot camp, zumba. I can't seem to stick with something. what do you guys enjoy doing and how do you make it work for you?

Replies

• dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is to mix it up. Change = results
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning! I take a great class that is 45 minutes of spinning and 45 minutes of toning exercises and abs. I also enjoy the elliptical and have recently started TRX. I agree that mixing it up is a good idea as your body gets used to doing the same thing's over and over.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I mix it up everyday; walking, jogging, exercise TV, aerobics, zumba, elliptical.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every morning. i try switching things up as much as possible. Today (for example) I ran 3 miles, did 10 minutes on the stairmaster and 5 on the rowing machine, plus some pushups...yesterday I did the arc trainer for 45 minutes and tomorrow I am planning on going to spin class and either for a swim or run afterwards.

The most important thing is to find something you like to do and can stick with it. there are days I get to the gym and completely unmotivated to do anything. So I do 10 minutes on 4-5 machines (treadmill, ellpitcal, stair, etc) It helps me to keep going and I get a great workout!

If your gym has fitness classes, try checking those out. They are a lot of fun and helps keep you motivated
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try them all, and stick with the ones you love. Mix it up every now and again. That way you don't get bored.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try them all, and stick with the ones you love. Mix it up every now and again. That way you don't get bored.
    i agree do something that you enjoy, you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i run but I agree mixing it up is best and keeps the boredom away...try scuba it is the best...lol
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I do resistance band training at home. and I go to the gym and do the treadmill and eliptical/stairmaster and resistance machines. I hate hate haaate core work on the mat.
    I have a love-hate relationship with the treadmill. I am not a runner and never will be, but I jog for an hour some days (4.8-5.3mph) and do HIITS (high interval intensity training) some others, like I'll run at 6.0 for 2 minutes and walk for 1 minute or some variation of that and keep it up for at least 35-45 minutes. Also never run on a 0 incline treadmill because its downhill! I try to jog/run with it between .5 and 1.0, it doesn't sound like a lot but your legs know the difference!! and you can feel it haha
    shin splints are a huge issue for me :/
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

This is wrong. Don't change something if it is working.

"Mixing it up" because you're bored is understandable - don't mix it up because you think you have to.
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to mix it up. Sometimes I will just do 2 different exercises (kickboxing and running/walking) and just alternate days. Then it doesn't feel like you are living in the movie Groundhogs Day.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    RUNNING! I am a huge advocate of running! It is how i have managed to lose and maintain my weight up to this point. Works most of your body. Also, try intervals. I did that and it makes it so much easier! It is ieaser on your body and is much better han straight running. I started at a 1min run 1min walk, than slowly uped my run by 30 seconds as it got comforatble. THat stay at about a 5-1. =)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

"Mixing it up" because you're bored is understandable - don't mix it up because you think you have to.

Tread lightly, the reason change = results is because your body adapts to the conditions. It gets more efficient at doing the work, this is a plateau. Sure mix it up if you're bored and no you don't have to. Either you're generalizing and you mean stick to the same routine with increasing intensity or you're a little inexperienced with fitness programs.

Back to the point, do whatever challenges you that's the point. Mix it up, don't mix it up, whatever you do make sure it challenges you, eat right and you will see results.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Tread lightly, the reason change = results is because your body adapts to the conditions. It gets more efficient at doing the work, this is a plateau. Sure mix it up if you're bored and no you don't have to. Either you're generalizing and you mean stick to the same routine with increasing intensity or you're a little inexperienced with fitness programs.

Back to the point, do whatever challenges you that's the point. Mix it up, don't mix it up, whatever you do make sure it challenges you, eat right and you will see results.

Read what the OP originally said. She cannot STICK to anything. How does one know if something is working if one does not stick to it? How do you define plateau when you are constantly mixing things up?
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Read what the OP originally said. She cannot STICK to anything. How does one know if something is working if one does not stick to it? How do you define plateau when you are constantly mixing things up?

I define it the same whether you mix it up or not. The point is to avoid it. I apologize for putting you on the defensive. Who am I to know whats right for anyone? I just felt you were shooting from the hip to say change = results is wrong, it's not it's called muscle confusion and is the foundation any long term fitness plan. When you can lift the weight with minimal effort you increase the weight, when you can run the distance without breathing heavy you run further, etc, etc. And as for knowing if I'm producing results, I nor the guy you quoted meant give up... change up the routine when you adapt. Why are we having this discussion?