4 weeks in and only 1.5 lbs down

Options
I've been tracking and exercising since March 16th. I've stuck to mainly pre-packaged foods to have a more accurate calorie count, I've been working out changing it up from running at the gym, to cycling. I took all my measurements on April 6th and am looking forward to seeing a difference when I measure again on April 20th but at this rate not sure there will be a difference. What am I doing wrong? My diary is open.

Replies

• mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You're eating a lot of fast food. Calorie estimates for fast food are often wrong. The calories can vary wildly depending on the person preparing the food or order. Fast food also has a lot of sodium so you're probably retaining some water.

I also don't see many drinks logged. Are you exclusively drinking water or forgetting to log your drinks?
  • mofuentes34
    mofuentes34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking mostly just water, with a diet coke maybe every other day. I'd rather eat my calories! :smiley:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, so 1/2 lb per week is a typical rate of loss. Make sure you are logging accurately, read the sticky posts at the top of each forum, and be patient! You are doing great...
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sodium seems a little high at times, tho I'm no expert and I know how hard it is to stay under sodium it's in nearly everything prepared/prepackaged. You said you've been drinking mostly water, how much water? Also for your calorie burns are you using any HRM or anything? Your burned calories may be off, and I second mch above who said calorie estimates for food may be wrong, specially if it is a local deli or something that might go by a wonky measuring system. Sometimes I've noticed even bagged foods with say x amount of calories for a 1/2 cup or X amount of grams. And when I measure a half a cup, is it more than the grams listed, or the other way around so I don't know which to go by lol.

Either way don't let 1.5 pounds get you discouraged. 1.5 is a lot! Think about buying a pound of lunchmeat or something :) It all adds up eventually! And if you're not weighing your self the same time of day, that can cause fluctuations, also having high sodium a day or two before you weigh can cause it to be higher. Try to weigh weekly, same time of day preferably morning :) Keep up the great work :)
  • LiftCore
    LiftCore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try having a re-feed day or 2 (increase calories to maintenance or slightly higher, keep protein high but raise carbs). When I usually stall on weight-loss I do this, i'l maybe go up 1kg tops due to increased food mass + water waste the next day but then I'll drop back down the day after when i resume my deficit and my weight-loss continues after that. Also you may possibly have insulin sensitivity issues? Are you taking in the entire spectrum of nutrients? (chances are you're not unless you're supplementing, seeing as most people are largely nutrient deficient). Chromium and Magnesium specifically.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale???
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    No, I try to eat stuff that's pre-packaged to minimize the calorie guess work. If I eat something that I'm unsure of the calories I'll work out extra to off set having chosen a lower/wrong calorie amt. I also choose the higher calorie option food if the exact item isn't listed. I have a scale & will start weighing food
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    SwtKittN wrote: »
    Sodium seems a little high at times, tho I'm no expert and I know how hard it is to stay under sodium it's in nearly everything prepared/prepackaged. You said you've been drinking mostly water, how much water? Also for your calorie burns are you using any HRM or anything? Your burned calories may be off, and I second mch above who said calorie estimates for food may be wrong, specially if it is a local deli or something that might go by a wonky measuring system. Sometimes I've noticed even bagged foods with say x amount of calories for a 1/2 cup or X amount of grams. And when I measure a half a cup, is it more than the grams listed, or the other way around so I don't know which to go by

I've been drinking at least 60 oz water per day. I use run keeper to track cycling & outside running & use the calorie loss on the treadmill (after having added my weight, time, etc) Would an item like a fit bit be more accurate in tracking calorie loss?

I also have quite a few days where I'm under my calorie goal intentionally. I'll exercise to make sure there's a deficit & usually don't eat back the calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Did you say what your stats are? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What's your goal weight?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No, I try to eat stuff that's pre-packaged to minimize the calorie guess work. If I eat something that I'm unsure of the calories I'll work out extra to off set having chosen a lower/wrong calorie amt. I also choose the higher calorie option food if the exact item isn't listed. I have a scale & will start weighing food

Start using a food scale and weigh as much as you can and log everything into mfp...

Do you eat back 100 % of exercise calories?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As other's have said it's likely sodium related but 1/2 lb per week not bad at all...keep up the great work :smile:

Why not try to prepare more of your own meals, it will save you money and sodium/extra cals. E.gThe difference between a shop bought sandwich and a home made one is a much less, that applies to lots of meals I've found in general
  • ndj1979
    Options
    LiftCore wrote: »
    Try having a re-feed day or 2 (increase calories to maintenance or slightly higher, keep protein high but raise carbs). When I usually stall on weight-loss I do this, i'l maybe go up 1kg tops due to increased food mass + water waste the next day but then I'll drop back down the day after when i resume my deficit and my weight-loss continues after that. Also you may possibly have insulin sensitivity issues? Are you taking in the entire spectrum of nutrients? (chances are you're not unless you're supplementing, seeing as most people are largely nutrient deficient). Chromium and Magnesium specifically.

If ops logging is not accurate a refeed day is not going to do anything...
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    Did you say what your stats are? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What's your goal weight?

I'm 5'1" 134lbs, I'd like to be 115-120 (depends on how I look once I start losing). I'm Latina, big booty (hoping to keep most of it! LOL) Measurements are in MFP (can y'all see them?)
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I've been tracking and exercising since March 16th. I've stuck to mainly pre-packaged foods to have a more accurate calorie count, I've been working out changing it up from running at the gym, to cycling. I took all my measurements on April 6th and am looking forward to seeing a difference when I measure again on April 20th but at this rate not sure there will be a difference. What am I doing wrong? My diary is open.

Well this is one reason i recommend taking measurement more frequently. It's very possible when you took your first measurements you took them at the best possible time. Where your measurements would be at their lowest. When you retook your measurements it's very possible you took them at the worst possible time.

For example weight measurements for 2 weeks.
    week 1
    164 Mon.
    162 Tue.
    165 Wed.
    164 Thu.
    161 Fri.
    159 Sat.
    160 Sun.

week 2
    158 Mon.
    159 Tue.
    161 Wed.
    162 Thu.
    160 Fri.
    156 Sat.
    160 Sun.

If I weighed only on sunday week 1 I would be at 160lbs. If I weighed in again next week on Sunday, what are my results? No weight loss, what if I weighed in on Wednesday of week 2? I gained 1lbs.

Example of weighing at the worst possible times.
    What if I weighed in on Saturated week 1 (159lbs) and i weighed in again on Thursday(162lbs) I gained 3lbs.

I weigh myself 1st thing every morning as a reminder to stay on track that day. It's just been a little disheartening to not see a bigger drop on the scale. I'm going to keep it up and do better on tracking/measuring the food and hope it helps.
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Start using a food scale and weigh as much as you can and log everything into mfp...

Do you eat back 100 % of exercise calories?

No, I usually don't eat them back but noticed on Thursday I was so hungry so ate a little bit closer to the allotted calories, and at some of the ones "earned" from exercising.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

That's nearly half a pound a week for your first four weeks, which is good. Took me six weeks to officially lose a pound.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I'm 5'1" 134lbs, I'd like to be 115-120 (depends on how I look once I start losing). I'm Latina, big booty (hoping to keep most of it! LOL) Measurements are in MFP (can y'all see them?)

Sounds like your weight loss is fine then. Keep it up.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Fellow 5'1" woman here. I know it seems really slow and can feel frustrating, but 1.5lbs in 4 weeks is actually pretty much right on track for us shorties trying to lose those stubborn last few pounds. You can expect to average about 0.5-0.7lbs/week from here on out, probably no more or else you'd be creating a deficit that's too extreme for your calories. So yep, it's SLOW.

Also, weight fluctuates normally within a few pound range at different times of day, week or month. Hormones, water retention, you name it... your 1.5lb loss could actually be anywhere from a 5lb loss to a 1-2lb gain, or somewhere in between.

The only way to know is to keep logging, tracking and plotting those data points and assess based on your overall trend.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Remember, if exercise is new, you will retain water that can mask loss. A lot of processed foods means a lot of sodium (water retention).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am questioning whether or not your logging is completely accurate.

I see things like oatmeal (but are you making it with water and no additives?), tacos (with no sauces?), foods (no condiments), no drinks, etc.

Are you logging everything?

In any case, you don't have very much to lose:
    1,295 calories/day is your BMR roughly
    and if you're sedentary you maintain on 15-1600 calories a day.
    You are eating roughly 1,200 calories.
    So it makes sense that you've lost about .5 pounds per week.