Weight Loss and PMS

Options
Is it usually common to not lose weight during weigh in or even gain or maintain weight during your period? I only lost 1 pound this week. No I did not eat perfect, but I stayed within my calories. Maybe I should avoid weighing in when I'm on my period? I was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning. Thank you for any feedback!

:)

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Many women retain water during their period, which would account for a temporary weight gain (or not seeing a loss). It's very common.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I usually gain around 2-3, but, when it's over, I lose that and more if I've stayed on target. It's temporary weight gain which has nothing to do with your actual weight loss strategy, if you continue to eat right throughout it, at the end of pms/period you should still see results even if they were temporarily obscured by water retention.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'll usually hang on to 1-2 pounds and then see a similar drop that sticks around. The weight generally comes off within a week of my period ending.

As long as you stay in your calories, you're good.

~Lyssa
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is it usually common to not lose weight during weigh in or even gain or maintain weight during your period? I only lost 1 pound this week. No I did not eat perfect, but I stayed within my calories. Maybe I should avoid weighing in when I'm on my period? I was a bit disappointed when I stepped on the scale this morning. Thank you for any feedback!

:)

If you search the forum for period weight gain or tom you will see this question asked pretty often.
    It is absolutely normal to gain a few pounds during your period and it goes away if you haven't gone crazy eating over your calorie limit all week.
    Some people don't like to weigh themselves that week but I just weigh and record normally. I make a note that I had my period. It doesn't bother me that my weight temporarily went up and I feel it is useful to know that information.
  • dorothykm89
    Options
    thank y'all!
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight during that time. Then lose it the week after plus some
  • taylorizal
    taylorizal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I usually plateau during my period and then lose around 3 pounds the two days after I'm done.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't step on the scale that week. I already have enough crazy going through my head.
  • strawberrygirll
    Options
    I was JUST about to post the same thing....
    Its so discouraging... but I think I'll wait a while to weight myself again.

Thanks for posting - it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one! (:
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Always gain or hold onto a few pounds over the course of PMS and period. I weigh myself every morning but only record weekly. During period it isn't uncommon for me to have a 3-4 lb fluctuation that quickly resolves afterwards.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I'll usually hang on to 1-2 pounds and then see a similar drop that sticks around. The weight generally comes off within a week of my period ending.

~Lyssa

Tbh I eat at least 100-200 calories over maintenance for about three days (and sometimes more--I was 700 over one day last month) and still manage to lose weight. I don't know how much BMR is raised during this time, but I guess my body has it covered.

I generally see a one- to three-pound jump for several days beforehand. I tend to see a loss on the last day of my period/next day. It's gotten to where I don't even weigh myself as it's approaching.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My weight stays very static from ovulation to menstruation.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I usually maintain, then have a bit of a whoosh right afterward.
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother with the scales - a few days before, and the whole time during. Just stick to the plan, and then weigh after it's all over. Your peace of mind will thank you for it.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

~Lyssa

Tbh I eat at least 100-200 calories over maintenance for about three days (and sometimes more--I was 700 over one day last month) and still manage to lose weight. I don't know how much BMR is raised during this time, but I guess my body has it covered.

I generally see a one- to three-pound jump for several days beforehand. I tend to see a loss on the last day of my period/next day. It's gotten to where I don't even weigh myself as it's approaching.

I try to stay at my goal but I'll do the same if I'm just HUNGRY and it refuses to back off. I'm more mindful of what I'm eating now, though, and I don't spend the day eating from my XXL bag of m&ms and practically guzzling Mountain Dew to kill off the irritating pain. Switched to diet soda and coffee during that time for my caffeine fix and I'll get more "real" food in. I do make sure I have plenty of chocolate, though!

~Lyssa