Protein Shakes/Meal Replacement?! What do you think?

Options
Soo what do you guys think about protein shake and meal replacements?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about meal replacements. I chew my food, personally. I use a protein shake if I can't meet my protein goal for the day. That is rare.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Two seperate things aren't they? Apples and oranges.
  • allyxnatara11
    allyxnatara11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i know thats why i said both lol
    Merkavar wrote: »

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are usually for muscle repair after or before strenuous exercise. Meal replacement powders/ready to drink shakes have more nutrients and suitable for those who are on the go or rushed at work in some other way. I'm okay with drinking my calories and it keeps me full just as well as real food. The same cannot be said for everyone. So try it. If you prefer real food, it may not be a good idea to stock up.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Neither one teaches you a thing about portion control. But protein shakes are a great way to hit your protein macro if you're falling short. I'll do 100ml of milk, 200ml of almond milk and my protein powder if I need a boost - it's about 150-200 calories then.

I see no benefit for a meal replacement shake.

~Lyssa
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I prefer to chew my calories, but if you want to use them, then eat (or in this case drink) your heart out.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Neither one teaches you a thing about portion control. But protein shakes are a great way to hit your protein macro if you're falling short. I'll do 100ml of milk, 200ml almond milk and my protein powder if I need a boost - it's about 150-200 calories extra then.

~Lyssa

Personally, I doubt one will be living solely off of meal replacement shakes. I'm sure people who like them can still learn portion control.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes, no. Protein shakes, absolutely. I use a superfood powder on days I won't hit my veggie intake mixed into my shake but otherwise it's with after workouts or if I am having an issue hitting protein macro I will have an extra. I work long shifts so using casein shakes when we're slammed has gotten me through without feeling fatigued and starving since the "Quick" options at work usually aren't the best for you.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Neither one teaches you a thing about portion control. But protein shakes are a great way to hit your protein macro if you're falling short. I'll do 100ml of milk, 200ml almond milk and my protein powder if I need a boost - it's about 150-200 calories extra then.

~Lyssa

Personally, I doubt one will be living solely off of meal replacement shakes. I'm sure people who like them can still learn portion control.

Oh absolutely - I'm just now seeing your post and you've got the right idea.

Mine really should read "I see no benefit unless you plan to incorporate them on a regular/permanent basis."

Too many people think they can just switch meals for shakes, lose weight, then go back and have learned zilch, hence my initial comment.

~Lyssa
  • jwschutz
    jwschutz Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast eater, I find that having a protein shake on the way to work gives me more energy to start my day. I eat real food for the rest of my meals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Soo what do you guys think about protein shake and meal replacements?

I drink a protein shake after my weight lifting because it helps with muscle repair, but that is before breakfast.

I would never think of replacing a meal with any kind of drink. Eat real food because it's nutritious and so delicious. :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    i know thats why i said both lol
    Merkavar wrote: »

I meant asking about them together like you did made me think you might take a protein shake as a meal replacement.

I have seen others do that. They thought a protein shake was a meal replacement.
  • allyxnatara11
    allyxnatara11 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yea i was replacing breakfast and dinner with shakes for 2 or 3 days and it was alot, but honestly wasn't too hungry. I'm just sticking with them for breakfast because i never have time in the am to make food and a small protein shake after I workout
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Drinking meals.... No. Not as a regular thing, unless you have a problem eating enough calories. Even those with no time in the morning can pre prepare real food to have ready to eat.

Protein shakes are fine for those who can't eat enough protein. Again, I prefer to eat my food and can't remember the last time I had a shake. I do use protein powder occasionally in cooking (pancakes) or mixed through yoghurt/with icecream to increase protein slightly.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    FOOD.

That is all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would never replace any of my precious calories. Never. I love food.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I like a shake made with vanilla protein powder, fruit, and ice. I have a few a week--it helps me meet my protein goals. I like them (with strawberries it tastes like Strawberry Quik!) and I drink them instead of a meal, just not a lot of meals. That would suck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I prefer to chew my calories. Unless you're lacking protein, shakes are unnecessary.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    jwschutz wrote: »
    I've never been a breakfast eater, I find that having a protein shake on the way to work gives me more energy to start my day. I eat real food for the rest of my meals.

^^ this

Without that extra 30 g of protein from my post-workout shake, I'd rarely hit my protein target. I wouldn't be eating breakfast anyway, it doesn't replace anything.