4 weeks in and only 1.5 lbs down

Options
2»

Replies

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that pre-packaged foods are a more accurate way to track calories and nutrients, yet they are often times loaded with sodium and don't give you any skills for when you have to prepare your own meals. If you can make your own protein smoothies, you decide every ingredient. No additives or chemicals. Make your own soups, you control the calories, the fat, the sodium.

You can be in charge of your weight loss. Dust off your food scale, weigh in grams and log religiously. It works!
  • mofuentes34
    mofuentes34 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Fellow 5'1" woman here. I know it seems really slow and can feel frustrating, but 1.5lbs in 4 weeks is actually pretty much right on track for us shorties trying to lose those stubborn last few pounds. You can expect to average about 0.5-0.7lbs/week from here on out, probably no more or else you'd be creating a deficit that's too extreme for your calories. So yep, it's SLOW.

Also, weight fluctuates normally within a few pound range at different times of day, week or month. Hormones, water retention, you name it... your 1.5lb loss could actually be anywhere from a 5lb loss to a 1-2lb gain, or somewhere in between.

The only way to know is to keep logging, tracking and plotting those data points and assess based on your overall trend.

SLOW is right! Good luck to you too :smile:
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Get a food scale. Remember, if exercise is new, you will retain water that can mask loss. A lot of processed foods means a lot of sodium (water retention).

Since y'all mentioned the sodium, I did look at the charts and you're right, the sodium levels are high. I am going to try to eat healthier items. I've been figuring as long as I was under my calorie count the quality of food was 2nd priority, I'll need to change that up and hopefully that helps too.
  • mofuentes34
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I am questioning whether or not your logging is completely accurate.

I see things like oatmeal (but are you making it with water and no additives?), tacos (with no sauces?), foods (no condiments), no drinks, etc.

Are you logging everything?

In any case, you don't have very much to lose:
    1,295 calories/day is your BMR roughly
    and if you're sedentary you maintain on 15-1600 calories a day.
    You are eating roughly 1,200 calories.
    So it makes sense that you've lost about .5 pounds per week.

Yes, prepackaged oatmeal with water, nothing added. I'm a picky eater so keep the food pretty basic. The drinks have all been water with an occasional diet coke. I usually don't drink anything else, not even the milk in my cereal (I don't like milk), but I still count the milk calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Since y'all mentioned the sodium, I did look at the charts and you're right, the sodium levels are high. I am going to try to eat healthier items. I've been figuring as long as I was under my calorie count the quality of food was 2nd priority, I'll need to change that up and hopefully that helps too.

That's only true if you're already eating a decently nutritious, balanced diet. It's fine to have fast food, snacks or "junk" food mixed in there. But if that's all you're eating, then your body's gonna protest because you're not giving it what it needs.

It's like, say, splurging on an expensive pair of shoes (if you're into shoes; if not, substitute something else frivolous and fun). It's fine if you've already paid your rent and heat and bills and have the cash left over. But if you don't, and you're buying shoes instead of paying rent, you're gonna be in trouble.

Try to add some fruits and veggies, whole grains and home-cooked foods to the mix. That doesn't mean forever giving up your packaged favourites or high-sodium treats. It just means eating them less frequently, and making sure you are hitting your nutrient targets.