running my first 5k this weekend!

Options
crackers8199
crackers8199 Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
i'm a bit worried because i haven't really been "training" for it even though i run 3-4 days per week...the race is next saturday, i originally wanted to run it but we were supposed to be out of town. our trip got pushed back though, so now we will be here and i figure i might as well go for it...

what is a good idea for me to run as far as training this week? i usually run sun/mon/wed/thurs. tonight i timed myself with endomondo and ran a 5k distance in just under 29 minutes (which i was happy with because i'd like to finish the race in under 30)...but i felt like i might have run the first mile too quickly and was struggling a bit at the end (even though endomondo said my last mile was the fastest). also, i've always run with music...so i'm trying to decide if i should run with headphones (or one headphone) or try to go without. the race doesn't prohibit them as far as i've seen in the rules.

any tips for a newbie to help calm me the hell down? lol tips on both what to do this week before the race as well as what to do on race day would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not much of a runner but I've done 5k and 10k "races" in the past. Like you, I race against my own time and it sounds like a reasonable target.

I always run with music and take my iPod on races. It helps me zone out and stay motivated. I unplug myself when running with a friend or my sister but we don't tend to do the whole race together.

I often do better at a race than a normal run as I get swept along with the momentum. I have been frustrated by people in the past who have started in the same block as me as "joggers" aiming for under 30 min on a 5k and they start walking before the first k is done! Argh!

I could jog a 5k today without training, just not very fast. With a half marathon (still not built up to that) I can't imagine ever even finishing. Enjoy it.

I know there are all sort of training programmes out there but if you're running 3-4 times per week for about 30 min you will be totally fine.
  • aldomodo
    aldomodo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    29 min is a very god time for a first 5k. There will be lots of people slower than that. You won't have any problems.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you will do great, if you have already run 5k in 29 minutes.

I'd suggest you taper down your training towards the race, maybe do 5k today steady today, 3k at race pace Weds and Thurs finish off with a fast 1k. That should leave you with plenty of energy for the race day!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your 3-4 runs per week are in the order of 30 minutes I'd suggest nothing special. No need for a taper, training or specific feeding.

All the best.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your 3-4 runs per week are in the order of 30 minutes I'd suggest nothing special. No need for a taper, training or specific feeding.

All the best.

I second this. There isn't really time to do anything special, and changing things could just get you hurt, confused or otherwise messed up so that you go like crazy for the first two km and end up walking the rest.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t look like you’ll have any issues with this run. I’d probably skip the Thursday run, but that’s just me looking at total volume in a week. You know your body, so listen to it.

If you know other people running, you probably won’t need the music. If not, music is nice to have along.

Pacing will always be a challenge, especially for races. Adrenaline often kicks in. Just monitor your breathing (and HR if you have a monitor) and take the first mile at a moderate pace. After that, you’ll find a comfortable race pace, which will likely be faster than you train.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Pacing will always be a challenge, especially for races. Adrenaline often kicks in. ... take the first mile at a moderate pace. ...

I run with two work colleagues and we tend to average 5k in 29 minutes. When I did my first 5k in December, I found that I got caught up in the moment and started off too quickly, my colleagues had to slow me down.

You can use endomondo to check your pace during the run and maintain close to your usual sub 5.50ish minute per km.

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I often do better at a race than a normal run as I get swept along with the momentum. I have been frustrated by people in the past who have started in the same block as me as "joggers" aiming for under 30 min on a 5k and they start walking before the first k is done! Argh!

Just for the record, I know quite a few people who do 3/1 (3 minutes running/ 1 walking) or 5/1 intervals for all their races, including half marathons, and comfortably manage sub 30 minute 5Ks. Last time I did a training run with them, they were doing 9:55 miles.

Actually, I know people whose HM time is faster than mine who have never run a full race without walk breaks...
    It's just a different way to train.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    And take your music if you want it. I always race with my music. Can't imagine doing without...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And take your music if you want it.

Some races prohibit it, there are a number of potential reasons to do so.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    She said the race does not prevent it. I've never run a race that has prevented it. And if it feels like I need to hear for safety, I wear one earbud, leaving the ear closer to the road free.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    She said the race does not prevent it. I've never run a race that has prevented it. And if it feels like I need to hear for safety, I wear one earbud, leaving the ear closer to the road free.

Virtually All Triathlons prohibit headphones, in my experience. I think some running races that don't have closed courses do the same. Just a safety thing. If they're allowed, though, mine definitely come along.
  • crackers8199
    edited April 2015
    Options
    thanks everyone for the input! when i started this journey back in june of last year, i was 221 lbs and my first timed 5k (according to endomondo) was around 39 minutes in late-august...now i'm down to just under 180 lbs and i've been slowly but surely shaving time off, so if i could finish in under 30 minutes i'd be ecstatic.

my goal for this year is to start with this 5k, then by the end of the year maybe do a 10k (last week i set my timer for 60 minutes of running and ended up with a 10k time of 1:04:29) and a HM...and i'm considering training for the LA marathon next year. i feel like that might be a little ambitious, though...i'm undecided on whether to go after that in 2016 or wait til 2017.
  • crackers8199
    Options
    just wanted to update this post with some good news...surprised even myself this morning - 28:10! almost a full two minutes faster than my goal! :)
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow, wtg!!!! That is an awesome time. I used to run 10 and now I am back to walking/jogging after years of laziness. I strive to be where you are