When is a rest day appropriate

Options
imajorchubby
imajorchubby Posts: 8
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I am new on the boards and have been going to the gym for the last 2 weeks. I like doing cardio on the elliptical because it is easy on my knees and I am able to keep my heart rate up. Last night was the 5th night in a row and I have been having a steady progression in time spent and calories burned and I hit a wall. Mentally I wanted to keep pushing myself but I felt as if my legs just couldn't handle it.

My question is should I take this as a sign to take a day off or should I lower the level and be happy with a smaller workout. I know this is a marathon and not a sprint but I have been having success building habits such as taking a month to cut out soda, another for fast food and this month exercising and cutting out sweets. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Mentally I wanted to keep pushing myself but I felt as if my legs just couldn't handle it.
    My question is should I take this as a sign to take a day off or should I lower the level and be happy with a smaller workout.

Yes. Try either one. My guess is you'll come back stronger the following day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you do any form of resistance training? Mixing things up is better than doing the elliptical day after day. Plus, lifting has great benefits.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i work out at the gym (mostly cardio and between the elliptical and arc trainer with added strength training some days, depending on time) and take 1-2 rest days (usually sat and sunday). i also do a zumba class on fridays most of the time, so thats 4 days at the gym, and one in a class.
  • imajorchubby
    Options
    Right now its just the elliptical, I want to start some more mixed workouts once the month is over. I enjoy my time on the elliptical and its helping me make this a habit. What workouts do you recommend, I can absolutely mix stuff up. Thanks for the responses.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You wnat to avoid overdoing it, overtraining or doing yourself an injury. Listen to your body. You should take 1 complete rest day at least per week. Recovery is an important part of exercise.

Do a mixed schedule of cv and resistance training as they offer different benefits. Get your confidence up first, take it steady and hen consider introducing resistance training as well.
  • pjischaos
    pjischaos Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to offer other than you are the only person qualified to decide what ya body is telling ya. If you are happy knowing ya did the workout, even a smaller one as ya put it, then that's what ya need to do. I take rest days when I just can't get my body to cooperate during a workout. Then hit it harder the next day. I have found, for me anyways, this is the right mix I need to keep with it. Just don't quit, ya gotta keep on keepin' on if ya wanna see those results.
    I use a treadmill for my workouts but vary what I do for each one. Sometimes I use varying incline, sometimes I change the speed every 5 mins or even 15 if I am doing a long workout. Just to keep it interesting and somewhat challenging. Best of luck to ya!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Right now its just the elliptical, I want to start some more mixed workouts once the month is over. I enjoy my time on the elliptical and its helping me make this a habit. What workouts do you recommend, I can absolutely mix stuff up. Thanks for the responses.

Find a lifting program you think you will stick to. There are free ones on Bodybuilding.com. Many people suggest stronglifts 5x5 which doesn't take many days. New Rules of Lifting is another people suggest. Most beginner lifting programs only have you lifting a couple of days per week, which would leave you time for cardio.

I take at least one day off from actual exercise, although sometimes I do active things with my kids.
  • imajorchubby
    Options
    Great advice!
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for joining this site and taking care of yourself!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Build up slowly. Five days in a row is fine, but not if you're pushing to the wall each time.

Slow.

Down.
  • Kenellen1
    Kenellen1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Slow down. Build up slowly. Five days in a row is fine, but not if you're pushing to the wall each time.

Slow.

Down.

Great advice!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just echoing the above! 5 days a week is great, but throw a couple rest days in there! Even something with lower impact like the eliptical is stressing your body, so you need 1-2 days per week of rest so your body can heal/get stronger/adapt.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. But I usually take 1 day off a week. Not only for my body, but also so I don't mentally burn out. A day of no pressure.
    Also, remember that if you push your body too much, too soon without taking a rest day, you risk injury. And the healing of an injury can set you back more than just taking a day to recuperate and recharge.
    I am not saying to not push yourself while you workout, but rather that it is OK to take a day if your body is signaling that something is wrong.
  • imajorchubby
    Options
    Yeah, I took a couple days off and haven't pushed past 5 days in a row. The more I keep reading the forums the more I understand the different concepts. I have a buddy who is into fitness helping me with a workout plan so i can keep this going!

I have to say the people here are pretty awesome!