Can't get going and getting desper

Options
Am so so cross with myself I can't get going and keep crumbling . I do well for two or three days then become disheartened and eat rubbish - stuff the kids leave and ruin my good work. It's driving me mad am beginning to think the only way I can stick to my resolve is to chop my arms off !!

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You can't convert poop into diamonds.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    So why do you have things in your house you don't want to eat? Why do they leave things laying around? You're the one who decides, not your children.
  • nikkilawlez
    nikkilawlez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last week I arranged a healthy menu and a healthy shop - one of my children who is sickly - and stubborn with tears and tantrums refused to eat for almost three days - it was heartbreaking. I am a single working parent on a tight budget with debts - I shopped for only what was on the menu and again it seems I have failed - yep looks like I am a complete soft sh#t and cannot be changed to a diamond !!!!
  • syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You neex some motivatinal friends thats it and keep it cool.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    One of the biggest problems for me comes down to beating myself up, just as you're doing. I feel myself starting to fail, I give in and eat trash, and then I eat more to make up for how miserable I feel about how much I'm eating.

The trick is realizing it's never too late. You can be down to the last bite of an entire 3,000 calorie cake and make the healthier choice and refuse to eat that bite. It's the long war that you're worried about. You can't be expected to win every single battle all the time, but don't let one failure feed the next failure.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can't help myself at my parents' house so I just make sure I get those calories back by going on my exercise bike at night when the kids are in bed. I watch telly while I'm doing it. Log everything. I had lots of things yesterday that pushed me over but I biked for an hour so don't feel so rubbish about it.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Make sure your getting plenty of fats and protein in your diet, they help you stay fuller longer, and make sure your calorie goal isn't too low. Don't try to stay completely away from your favorite food, you'll just binge on them eventually. You can fit almost anything in with modertion. Good luck :smiley:
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    AlanTuring wrote: »
    The trick is realizing it's never too late. You can be down to the last bite of an entire 3,000 calorie cake and make the healthier choice and refuse to eat that bite.

Excellent advice! I'll remember this one, next time I find myself nose deep in the biscuit tin. :)

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It seems a strange idea that people who struggle with their weight are perfectionists (we only seem to think of the externally skinny is this category) but I am certain this is the case. If a perfectionist cannot have things perfect, they want to throw it all in and not look at it. I suffer from the same thing. If you can find a way to let go of the need to do this eating better thing perfectly, life becomes less about punishment and reward and more about doing the best you can, a little bit better each time. So you can't always please the kids and yourself? Stop punishing yourself with food. You must be doing an amazing job - being a single mom is no cake walk (pun intended!)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    OP, you remind me of myself, but this time around, I am taking the advice offered by the wisest people on MFP. If you have no health issues, calories in/calories will do the trick. Don't aim high, so you get a managable deficit. Eat your biscuits, logg them. Be as accurate as you can, be carefull to weigh definitely the higher-calorie foods. You get a (reverse) wallet of calories, once it is full for the day, it is full. Next bite is for tomorrow. One day at a time. I have been back less than a month, but the weight is coming off, very slowly, but at least I am not putting on 4 pounds a month anymore as I did the previous six months.
    I am not eating 'healthily', I continue to eat my chocolate and chips (my biggest vices), but my main aim is now to get to my goal weight, slowly but surely. I have a slightly elevated bad cholesterol, but I can only fight one battle at the time. And it looks I am winning this one! I just need to learn patience!!
  • NID2410
    NID2410 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't be disheartened, I am sure most of us who are beginning on this weight loss journey face similar issues. If someday you have eaten more than your goals, just try to exercise a little more, get some extra walk or so. Don't beat yourself up and try to be kind to yourself. Move on, today is a new day.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I find it helps to buy things for kids that they will eat but I don't like. For instance types of biscuits or whatever your problem food is. Making healthy choices will rub off on the kids, they will follow your lead as well.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Last week I arranged a healthy menu and a healthy shop - one of my children who is sickly - and stubborn with tears and tantrums refused to eat for almost three days - it was heartbreaking. I am a single working parent on a tight budget with debts - I shopped for only what was on the menu and again it seems I have failed - yep looks like I am a complete soft sh#t and cannot be changed to a diamond !!!!

It takes time to get things going, esp. when you have young kids in the mix and are on a tight budget. Don'y beat yourself up and keep at it.

• Hugemateria
    Hugemateria Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think there's some great advice above, try to keep at it, work out what works and what doesn't, keep tweaking until you've got something that works really well for you.

I found it really helpful to work out my approximate maintenance calories for the week (the amount of calories I can eat without gaining or losing weight) as well my calorie goal for weight loss. I try to stick to my calorie goal daily but also look at the week as a whole. Eating more than your goal calories every now and again is unlikely to push you over your maintenance for the week, so you're still on track to lose (just a bit slower). If you do find you eat up to or more than your maintenance calories it's a good opportunity to look over your diary and work out what you can change to prevent it in future. If you do this though remember to adjust your maintenance calories as your weight goes down.

Try not to compare yourself to others and don't give yourself such a hard time if you falter, for a lot of us it takes practice and that's fine.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting isn't for everyone. If you detest it and can't stick to it, try something else.

Or if it's the strict meal plans you make for yourself that's the problem, ditch those and try something less restrictive. It has to work for you in your life, for more than a couple days. Try to change a few small habits instead of doing a giant overhaul.

And don't insult yourself along the way. If this was easy, it wouldn't be such a pervasive problem.

Good luck!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

You may be trying to do too much.

You could stick to your calorie goal, but still be eating, say, chicken nuggets.

You could up your calorie goal -- maybe 2 lbs a week (I am guessing here) is not sustainable for you.

You could tell yourself you can't eat the kids' extras because you're on a tight budget with debts.

You could create a menu with a bit of flex to it, so they're eating some slightly different things (and that's "their" food, so you don't eat it). (Ex. Cook chicken nuggets for everyone. Whip up a side salad for yourself, nuke a small can of soup for the kids to split, and dunk their nuggets in. Or whatever, I don't know what you guys like.)

You could work on making healthier choices and not calorie count for awhile. (Many people can lose initially doing this, so if ALL the changes at once are overwhelming you, work on one thing at a time.)

Relax your definition of healthy. Start by comparing labels -- can you switch the kids' pb to one with say, more protein? Is there a lower sugar yoghurt? Maybe you start introducing fruit as an addition to each meal (which you can later use to help you cut down on the kids' consumption of other things, like, say, cookies or chips). Think about what you could ADD, not cut, and get creative. Try roasting veggies. Try chopping veggies finely or food processing them, and working them into sauces and things. Cut things slowly, like if everyone is on 3 cans of soda a day, move to 2.

You could view it all as a process. You do not switch from an "unhealthy" diet to a "healthy" diet overnight -- and kids are unlikely to accept that drastic of a change anyway. (And actually, you are not really accepting it either, since you keep swinging off it.) Go slow.

You can also change your perspective a bit. If you eat well for 3 days, then make some less healthy food choices and go over calorie goal, isn't that still progress, if you used to make unhealthy choices every day and always eat over calorie goal? Picture a calendar. Every day, you get either a yellow happy face sticker, or a black happy face sticker. (Yellow for a day you think you met your goals, more or less, black for definitely not.) Some yellow and some black is better than all black. And next month, maybe there'd be more yellow. And the month after. You will get better at this as you go. But even if not, it's still better than all black stickers.

Stop thinking "I did a wrong thing so now it's all ruined." Because that's actually just 100% wrong, and you're sabotaging yourself, and being unkind to yourself, which is absolutely going to get you nowhere and make you miserable. Make positive changes, treat yourself well, relax a bit. When you notice guilt/stress/etc then address it, because it's not good for you, don't think "well yeah, of course, I should be feeling guilty, I ate all that food". No.

Back way up. Identify some small steps you can take, that you can sustain for more than 2 days at a time. When that has been going well for awhile, take some new small steps. In no time, you'll be making great progress. It doesn't matter how slowly you start, it matters what you'll be doing 1, 5, 10, 30 years down the line.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! You are attempting to change a bad habit. It's going to take many tries before it sticks. Anyone who has ever quit smoking will tell you they tried and tried and tried before they were successful. Keep trying different things, different workouts, different vegetables, different recipes, just keep trying. If you mess up and overeat, it doesn't mean you are weak or bad. Take your time and try again. And keep trying.
  • Xenostar
    Xenostar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AlanTuring wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems for me comes down to beating myself up, just as you're doing. I feel myself starting to fail, I give in and eat trash, and then I eat more to make up for how miserable I feel about how much I'm eating.

The trick is realizing it's never too late. You can be down to the last bite of an entire 3,000 calorie cake and make the healthier choice and refuse to eat that bite. It's the long war that you're worried about. You can't be expected to win every single battle all the time, but don't let one failure feed the next failure.

This is helpful to me thanks!