Struggling to keep calories to 1200!!

Options

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi, first time I tried MFP I moaned about this to my husband. He said "that's why you've got to exercise". I'm 5'1" and weighed 11 stone in February (down to 10 stone 6 now) so am also on 1200 per day but I do eat back my cardio calories!

Like you say, logging makes you realise when you're not using them so wisely (e.g. Wine!) an helps you realise what changes you can make.

Friend me if you like.
  • ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    Okay, listen, with so little to lose, trying to lose 2 pounds a week means that you're going to lose lean muscle mass as well as fat.

You don't want to do that.

I know you want to lose weight quickly, but you want to be smart about it. You can eat more calories, still have your coffees, and real foods and lose weight.

thanks, getting the hang of this now. so more calories but better things right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Okay, listen, with so little to lose, trying to lose 2 pounds a week means that you're going to lose lean muscle mass as well as fat.

I know you want to lose weight quickly, but you want to be smart about it. You can eat more calories, still have your coffees, and real foods and lose weight.

yes more calories, but you can eat what you want, just make sure that you hit your calorie and macro goals or the day and make sure that you are eating nutrient dense foods…..
  • ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    Thanks ndj1979 :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1200 is fine but you're supposed to eat exercise calories back, or it gives you a huge deficit, which is really not necessary.

Also, if you have too many calories in coffee and tea... cut what you put in them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well, definitely more calories! I don't know what you're eating now. Do you drink the super fancy coffees or just coffee with milk and sugar? If you leave around 100 or so calories for coffee, you'll still have a lot of calories to play with for food.

Focus on eating enough protein and fat to feel full, add some veggies and fruit, and save room in your day for a small treat here and there. That is usually a good balance between nourishment for the body and nourishment for the psyche.

• naltadonna29
    Options
    The 1200 calories is very difficult to stick with, and yes MFP will set you at this. It does not matter how old you are or if you only have a little or a lot to lose, it is still hard. My nutritionist who got me turned on to MFP had advised not to be so obsessed with sticking to the 1200 calories. She says that it is a guideline, and that if I was still hungry, the worst thing you can do is starve yourself. The body will start to store fat at that point and none of us wants that :) What she said is the most important, is that even if you stick within close reason, say 1600 or 1800, and writing down what you eat, and eating healthy, that is the most important. It's just a tool to make you more aware of what you are doing.
  • aldarris
    aldarris Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there are calories in tea and coffee. Are you adding sugar? Stop -- sugar prevents you from tasting tea.

Dairy helps. A little 2-ounce piece of cheese keeps hunger away until afternoon.

A big piece of meat (turkey, chicken, beef) without side dishes keeps one sated for the rest of the day and is easy on the calorie budget.

And you should still have enough room for two oranges or apples.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you haven't a lot to lose it may be better to set to 1lb a week or even 0.5lb.

It sets you to 1200 as that is the lowest it will go. I think to actually lose 2lb a week I have to eat about 900 calories a day.
    It ain't happening.

Actually on 1350 a day. I exercise for more.

I have a lot of carrots, celery, cucumber, peppers etc with salsa, lettuce, melon and berries, low fat yoghurt, crackers, seafood sticks, boiled egg, prawns, soup...I snack a lot during the day rather than have meals as I'm at work and don't always manage to have a break as such so grazing suits me.

What kind of coffee do you drink!? Didn't think it had that many calories?
  • ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    just your regular coffees. i dont know why im finding it so hard. the more i think about it the worse i get. small treats sound good. Thank you for the advice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calories is very difficult to stick with, and yes MFP will set you at this. It does not matter how old you are or if you only have a little or a lot to lose, it is still hard. My nutritionist who got me turned on to MFP had advised not to be so obsessed with sticking to the 1200 calories. She says that it is a guideline, and that if I was still hungry, the worst thing you can do is starve yourself. The body will start to store fat at that point and none of us wants that :) What she said is the most important, is that even if you stick within close reason, say 1600 or 1800, and writing down what you eat, and eating healthy, that is the most important. It's just a tool to make you more aware of what you are doing.

The bolded part is not true.

Also? If 1800 calories is over the amount of calories you need to eat to create a deficit for weight loss? You won't lose weight. I, for example, would not lose weight eating that many calories.

Nutritionists often spew a lot of garbage.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You should be trying to lose on as many calories as possible.

Coffee has no calories, tea negligible. If you need these things to function, have them black with artificial sweetener... Or less of whatever calorie adding stuff you currently have in there.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My cup of tea works out at 50 cals with semiskimmed milk and one sugar. Cannot STAND any fake sugar...they all taste weird to me.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is quite low- the lowest MFP will set anyone. You'll still lose weight if you eat more calories but the progress will be slower (this is not bad, as it gives your skin time to keep up and limits the muscle you're burning along with the fat). Try adding 50 cals to your goal for a week, then if you're still super hungry add another 50 the next week. I found that I was losing weight and not 'hangry' at 1400 plus exercise cals.

The thing is, if you're hungry all the time you're less likely to stick with it. In order to reach your goal you should be finding it manageable not painful! Otherwise how will you make good food choices once you're at your target weight?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

The bolded part is not true

MFP will not set you at 1200 unless you set unreasonable goals or are a very small woman. When I started I set it to 1lb a week at my stats it gave me almost 1500 a day...plus whatever I exercised.

and no your body does not hold onto fat...

• ChelseyWoo88
    Options
    yeah me to, dunno why but it looks bubbly too (if that makes sense?!?)
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same 1200 MFP imposed calorie deficit and found it really hard to stick to when I first started. I found that not only was I NOT losing weight, but I WAS losing my sanity and will to live. Now I'm healthier and happier by either not logging tea/coffee (assuming you drink it black) or accepting that if I'm going 30 over my "allowance" it's due to tea/coffee. Also if I went over because of fruit, that is OK because yes, they are calories, but they also contain a lot of nutrients that your body NEEDS to function. I basically use MFP as a guide to help me keep track of what I'm eating and make appropriate choices. Good luck! :)
  • PhatPat2be
    PhatPat2be Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am back here again for the first time...I am using this first week to see just how much I eat. Man what an eye opening week this has been. No wonder I am 20 over my goal!
    That being said, I have never tracked my coffee.
    I do use creamer in my coffee, but I have never tracked it. I have lost weight many many times never counting my morning addiction. For me it would just be to overwhelming to do that.
    I do count chips and crackers so I stick to the serving size and that is maddening! I just draw the line with my drinks. I drink mostly water. The only time I have a sweet tea is maybe once a week when out to dinner. I do not track the tea either. That is just how I do it.
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories too, 5'5, losing 1.5lbs/week. (shorter girls have it tougher) I find it hard because I get bored, not because I'm actually hungry-although it took a couple weeks for my brain to actually comprehend the difference! I do best when I drink a lot of water, and snack on almonds ( I weigh an ounce and then just pop one or two at a time throughout my day at work) I work at a coffee shop so I understand your addiction to coffee ;) however, I drink it black or occasionally do just a couple shots of espresso with a dash of cream and real maple syrup. the calories aren't too bad if you do it that way. when you have this few calories/day you most definitely don't want to be drinking them away. make sure that if you work out you eat most of those calories back. with that said.. I agree with the above posters you don't have that much to lose so it would probably be better if you adjusting your "weekly losing rate" so its easier to stick with and such.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs 2-3 years ago. I did it by being on a 1200 calorie diet. At first it was really hard. But remember the more you exercise the more you can eat. So even though NET calories were 1200 I was actually eating more because I exercised. Also, I chose healthier versions of the foods I liked or had less of the food I liked but enough so I could still have it. Example: I switched to super skim milk because I LOVE milk. Its half the calories of regular. Or I had one tablespoon of peanut butter on my toast instead of two. That kind of thing.