Healthy Sources of Protein for a Protein Deficiency

Options
vlmay1955
vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
Can we talk about protein a little. I am an omnivore, but eat little meat and almost no red meat except venison. I try to eat as healthy as possible, I don't have any food allergies, intolerances etc. and eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, low fat dairy, whole grains etc. I am at a healthy weight. Well I have been diagnosed with anemia and low blood protein. Iron pills for the anemia but my Dr. told me sternly to eat more protein. I love to eat pretty much all dairy, nuts, nut butters etc. but not in love with the calorie density and fat content..... chicken and fish and eggs are fine but you can't eat them at EVERY meal....so what are everyone's preferred sources of protein that don't come along with lots of calories and fat?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans, lentils, split peas.....
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes.
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Chicken and fish are one of the best sources of low-fat protein you'll find. I eat very little red meat but I can get 150g of protein in a day quite happily.

And I always said I'd never do it, but I LOVE my protein shakes now. They're not a whole food, but will give you a protein boost. You can even cook with them - google "protein pow" for an awesome website with recipes. phD Diet Whey is my favourite - cherry bakewell flavour. Yum! (this coming from someone who has always hated milkshakes!)
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Whey protein shakes, fish, Quark/cottage cheese, some milk and yoghurts are high in protein and low in fat. Or soy if you can handle it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us a little about why you eat little meat/red meat? Or else the answer would just be "eat more meat, especially red meat and liver".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, almonds, and we eat a lot of fresh turkey, ground and turkey breast loins.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i like snacking on tuna with pickles, lol. or throwing tuna in a salad along with egg whites. egg whites are lower in calorie than their whole counterparts but still contain protein (just not all the benefits of the whole egg). PB2 has a little bit of protein, but i also just eat actual peanut butter in moderation on lower cal multigrain toast. kettle corn has some protein and doesnt pack a ton of cals, and is pretty filling. i like sweetening it up with cinnamon. canned chicken or tuna, or even fresh is great to add to dishes or salads/sandwiches etc to pack in some protein. i mostly buy canned cus its cheaper & stores longer. tofu's pretty delish also
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, tofu, chicken, beef, veal, pork (if you eat it. I don't, for religious reasons), milk, buttermilk, cheese, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, protein powder, sardines... There are so many choices if you don't have any allergies or food intolerances! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy meat very much but I've learned to eat a lot more of it. I used to eat about 4 oz of meat with dinner and I've increased that to at least 6 oz. I started making lunches with shredded chicken in them, which helps disguise it a bit. This week I'm having quinoa with cheese, broccoli, and chicken. Or sometimes I'll do like a burrito bowl and add my chicken to that. Dairy is great-- greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. I also do bars-- I like Think Thin. When I buy bread I buy the kind with more protein.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Eggs :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and shakes, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and lentils are my go-to sources of protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why can't you eat chicken, eggs or fish at every meal? You can do so many different things with eggs, and chicken, and there's many different types of fish! Try to eat red meat sometimes - try in ways that doesn't showcase the meat (chili con carne, bolognese, curry/casserole)

But also, protein powders as part of a Smoothie, or mixed in to yoghurt. Gelatin or collagen hydrolysate. Dairy - cheese/yoghurt/cottage cheese.

Nuts and nut butter aren't good sources of protein. They have protein, but so does broccoli.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, cottage cheese, eggs, protein powder, lentils. There are quite a few options that you can incorporate in each meal.
  • jonsmithkidd
    jonsmithkidd Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    lieajane wrote: »
    Chicken and fish are one of the best sources of low-fat protein you'll find. I eat very little red meat but I can get 150g of protein in a day quite happily.

And I always said I'd never do it, but I LOVE my protein shakes now. They're not a whole food, but will give you a protein boost. You can even cook with them - google "protein pow" for an awesome website with recipes. phD Diet Whey is my favourite - cherry bakewell flavour. Yum! (this coming from someone who has always hated milkshakes!)

I second the protein shakes, I hated milkshakes as well until I tried them. I love PhD diet whey, I had no idea there was a cherry bakewell flavour though! Thank you for this info, going to get me some of that!!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    while we're on the topic of healthy protein sources, anybody mind recommending me a nondairy protein powder? preferably something that won't cost me a pretty penny
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fish is a big protein source and are usually pretty low in fat, if that's what you're going for. One 3-oz serving of tuna has 25g of protein which is how much I get in one serving of my whey protein powder.

You said you were getting tired of fish/eggs/chicken though so, whey protein is a pretty easy one. You can make it as bland or flavorful as you want, I always add frozen fruit to mine so it tastes more like a shake. Red meat also has a good amount. Lamb has quite a bit too if you want a different flavor from beef.

Beans are usually high in protein too. Black beans are my favorite. Also edamame is a nice finger food/snack that has a lot of protein and fiber in it if you like that.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    +1 to split peas and greek yogurt. Split peas don't need soaking and are dirt cheap, so they're a staple. I also love edamame from restaurants but haven't made it at home yet, it's on my "must learn to cook" list.

Fresh meat is obviously the best source, but since it's expensive and highly perishable I don't eat it all that often. Ham is also a very good source of protein and keeps a long time (but it's not that cheap, and holy sodium content).
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Why not lean red meat or pork loin / tenderloin on the occasions you don't want chicken?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    +1 to split peas and greek yogurt. Split peas don't need soaking and are dirt cheap, so they're a staple. I also love edamame from restaurants but haven't made it at home yet, it's on my "must learn to cook" list.

Fresh meat is obviously the best source, but since it's expensive and highly perishable I don't eat it all that often. Ham is also a very good source of protein and keeps a long time (but it's not that cheap, and holy sodium content).
    1. Put frozen edamame in microwave
    2. Cook according to directions on package
    3. Add salt to taste
    4. Eat

It's really that easy, and IMO the frozen stuff tastes just as good as if it came from a restaurant.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »

1. Put frozen edamame in microwave
    2. Cook according to directions on package
    3. Add salt to taste
    4. Eat

It's really that easy, and IMO the frozen stuff tastes just as good as if it came from a restaurant.

^Truth. If you're feeling fancy, treat yourself to some fancy salt and grind it on top. Delicious.