Training program

Options
Hi
does anyone have a week training program for a newbee? Can doing legs 3xweekly be too much or do i have to split muscle groups or do compound lifts? which one is more beneficial? Also how much cardio or hiit a week?

I'm 73kg's/162lbs and have 15kg's/33.3lbs to lose at 25%bf. I'm 5'2 female with office job

Please help...

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for a weight training program or a mix of cardio and weights?
    Is there a cardio exercise you already enjoy- running, biking, hiking, climbing stairs, snow shoeing?
    What's your current exercise program and level of fitness?
    What are your ultimate goals?

Lots of variables to consider before doling out recommendations.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the most beneficial mix, both weights and cardio although i have reduced my calory intake....

I havent started training as yet because i need to have a plan and not just figure it out as i go...

Goal is to have a toned not flabby and flat stomach...
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Okay, the best way to get you those things is to eat at a calorie deficit. Flat stomachs start in the kitchen.

If you want to lift, look into the usual beginner compound lifting programs: New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, Bret Contras Strong Curves. try them all out, focus on form first, lifting with as light a weight as you need to, watch lots of form videos for each lift on YouTube.

If you want cardio, do whatever you enjoy. No reason to run if you hate running. Same with any other exercise.

Eating at a reasonable calorie deficit is what you really need. As close as you are to goal, you shouldn't have MFP set to lose more than 1-1.5 lbs a week.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    Thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are numerous beginner programs out there for weight training....you might want to take look at New Rules of Lifting For Women.

If it were me, I'd do a full body resistance workout 3x weekly (non-consecutive days) and do 30 - 60 minutes of cardio on non-lifting days and take one full rest day. At first you might want to even take two.

In RE to resistance work, you have basically two option...full body or a split...with a full body, you're going to work everything one day and then have a day or two off before going again. Most split routines are 4x weekly or 5x weekly and you do work on consecutive days, but you work different muscles and different groups of muscles on those consecutive days. I generally don't recommend a split to a beginner lifter.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    How many workouts are advisable? I see stronglifts has 3 but is that too little or enough to see real changes or add a few more?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    How many workouts are advisable? I see stronglifts has 3 but is that too little or enough to see real changes or add a few more?
    Strong Lifts is a full body strength routine...most full body routines are 3x weekly because you are smashing the *kitten* out of your entire body in one day rather than just working a couple of parts.

When you're doing it right, it's plenty of work...it's a "heavy" strength training program...it is designed to build optimal strength. Something like New Rules is also a 3x weekly full body routine and is more of a general fitness lifting routine. They are both very good programs designed to do completely different things.