How do you calculate the calories when.......

Options
JPod279
JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
You cook something in EVOO or you marinate meat in a sauce (since not all of the oil or sauce gets consumed with the meal)?

Replies

• abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Measure how much of the EVOO or sauce you use to marinate, then measure it again after to figure out how much was actually used ond the food.
  • worldwarmichael
    Options
    For marinades I measure how much I pour onto the meat, so a cup for example. Then once I remove the meat I pour the remaining liquid back into a measuring cup to see how much absorbed, so if there is only 3/4 of a cup of marinade in the container then I'll report 1/4 of a cup in my calories as it has absorbed into the meat.
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question! I didn't think about this before..
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that doesn't count it??? It can't be THAT much can it? :ohwell:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If you added a Tablespoon of oil to the pan and there's 1 teaspoon left after cooking, then you would log in 2 teaspoons or .66 Tablespoon. As far as marinade goes, I'd say you're probably eating 1/4 - 1/3 of the added oil. Just guessing, but that's how I do it.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    that's a great question. the only way I could think would be to estimate. I am interested to hear if there is a better option.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that doesn't count it??? It can't be THAT much can it? :ohwell:

No your not :) I dont bother with counting. It cant be that much. I try to go within 50 or so calories of my daily intake and that should cover it.
  • diamondsnthesky
    diamondsnthesky Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that doesn't count it??? It can't be THAT much can it?

Depends on your marinade ... some contain a lot of sugar.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I don't count it either, I'm pretty close to my daily calories and 100 calories one way or the other isn't going to kill me! Besides, then I'd have to wash the measuring cup!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it much. Maybe just add a few extra calories. It's overstressing about little things like this that would make me want to eat something unhealthy. :laugh:
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question! I didn't think about this before..

Of course it is a good question. That's why I asked it. :wink:
  • abrown4348
    abrown4348 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

It actually can be that much. 1 tbsp of olive oil is 130 calories. That adds up really fast.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do the same as others have said (measure volume before and after marinating) as far as marinades go, unless I decide to cook and thicken it up to use as a sauce. But if I'm adding EVOO into a pan to saute with, I count it all. I think the only way I wouldn't is if I were actually making "fried" foods, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon!
  • avassos
    avassos Posts: 12
    Options
    I make a rough estimate and with meals that I'm not sure, I tend to quick calories add a bunch. I figure as long as I'm close than it should not matter. I like this new life style but I don't want to get so anal about the food I'm consuming and making sure that I'm a perfect counter.