How do you know?!

Options
Steak for example ("new york strip" to be exact) doesnt have the nutritional facts on the package. so how do we know if the entries in the database are correct?

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    YOu can verify by using other internet sources, or just make sure that others who have viewed it in the database have confirmed it, and even then you can only hope they are accurate. I usually take what I see here unless I think something is way off then I go to another source to confirm. There are tons of sites that list the calories for foods.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The USDA website has nutrition facts for meat.
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The best way is, when it's possible, weigh your food. Then you will have the most accurate quantity. If your quantity is correct, you can look at MFP then cross-reference other websites, if you wish, to make sure the numbers are accurate. In my opinion, getting the quantity consumed correct is the best way to ensure you are logging the correct number of calories and amounts of nutrients consumed. If the quantity is off, then it doesn't matter if MFP is right or not, your log will be off.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    As it was mentioned, weigh your food. Personally I try and stay away from using db entries that use abstract units of measurement. For example,

favorite place steak dinner:
    service size - entree

That's meaningless, when it comes prepared meals try your best to break things down into what they consist of... 4 ounces halibut, .25 ounces shredded lettuce, 1 small flour tortilla, etc.