Will I do myself any harm?

Options
I have been here since March and lost only 3lbs. My MFP calories are set at 1630 which I stay within plus or minus 50 calories every day. I understand about starvation mode and I eat most or all of my exercise calories back. I drink plenty of water. My question is - Will I be doing myself any harm if I keep my net calories at 1430 instead of 1630? I have noticed on quite a few diaries that their net calories are well below mine even though they appear to have to lose the same as me or even more. I am 5'8" and 58 yrs old. Does height and age make such a huge difference in the calories allotted to you?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that you have yourself as an active person. I'm 5'8 and they had me at around 1230-1300cal, as a generally not very active person.
  • avassos
    avassos Posts: 12
    Options
    I know you shouldn't go below 1200 calories a day. Mine is set at 1200, and I have been losing my 2 pounds a week since I've started. I'm down 9 pounds!!! :). I'm not sure if age has something to do with it. I'm 26 and I'm 5"8. I wonder what your goal per week is?
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Your MFP calorie level is set based on how much weight you want to lose each week. If your weight loss goal is 1lb/week, then it already has the 500 calorie daily deficit calculated into it. So if 1630 daily calories is for 1lb/week weight loss, then reducing by another 200 cals per day will bring you up closer to the 1.5 lbs/week range. What is your weekly weight loss goal?
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    Age also factors in to how quickly we lose weight. I dont know why but as you get older, its tougher to lose!! I guess your body just likes it too much and doesnt want to part with it!!! :laugh:
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat back about 70% of my burned calories, I find that those numbers are higher than I'm really burning, I think there just an overall average
  • wongsuzy
    wongsuzy Posts: 12
    Options
    My weekly weight loss goal is 1lb and I have my lifestyle set as sedentary and I record all my activity. Thanks for any help.
    My problem is I'm not losing ANY weight at whatever I set it. I agree that it does get harder for some people as they get older but NO WEIGHT LOSS?????
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nope. MFP set my cals at 1200 and I'm 5ft 8 and that includes my 90 mins of exercise 5 times a week. I say try 1400 for a week and see if that shifts things. Good luck!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    do you have a HRM that is more accurate for the activities you do? if not then i don't suggest eating back all your calories. I personally find MFP is much higher than my HRM says. Maybe eat back about 75% and see if that makes a difference over the next few weeks
  • jocelynrinear
    Options
    I started in March also and I am at 1200 cal a day. This is not including my exercising. I think I am hurting myself and need to eat more calories. I have only lost 5lbs. I am 35, 5'8 and 170 lbs. It is weird. I need to tweak it somehow so I can start losing more.