Advise please

Options
Hi I'm new to the community and wanted some health advise. Trying to loose weight (3 stone) and tone up. Got a decent rowing machine and weights bench. Know some weights as I had a personal trainer last year. She suggested a high protein diet, which works when I stick to it, not sure how healthy it is in the long run?
Keep struggling to find time to exercise as I work full time and am a single mum to two kids. Suggestions?

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    What's your question?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You have workout equipment at home and need to make time to use it. Even if it's just ten minutes at a time, you can do it.
  • penguincook20
    Options
    I think she wants to know how healthy a high protein diet is in the long-term sense?
  • emilyjoseph
    emilyjoseph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I want to know if the high protein thing is healthy in the long run. Need to loose weight but from what I understand I need the protein to build muscle?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How, exactly, are you defining "high protein?" As in, how many grams per day, and what is your current bodyweight? The general/easy rule of thumb is 0.8-1 g of protein per lb of lean body mass. And that is almost always fine.

Also, if you have certain medical conditions (you don't have to mention them here - but ask your doctor), "higher" protein diets may not be advisable.
  • emilyjoseph
    emilyjoseph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh 208 lb and advised to eat 150 - 200 G protein a day. Told to avoid most carbs, fruit and stick to eggs, lean meat and fish. Eat some veg and nuts. No medical conditions .
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating less calories than you burn. Not an extreme amount less, but figure out your TDEE with exercise included and eat under that. High protein foods are better options than sugary, processed foods, but as long as you make good choices and log accurately you will lose weight.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Working full time with two kids is hard... when I worked out they were to sit down and do quiet things in front of me and I put the workout equipment in front of the tv so when I really needed to I turned the tv on for them while I worked out. This was for when I worked out at home when I worked out at the gym...they had their own activities in the gym (swimming, taekwondo, basketball, movies etc)
  • paige_eloise
    paige_eloise Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay, so - I do Paleo, which is considered a high protein diet. Some people will tell you that's an unhealthy way to eat, others will tell you it's the best way to eat.
    Just stick with what feels good for you. I tend to eat pretty high protein and fiber, with all carbs coming from vegetables.
    I've lost 30lbs doing that for the last sort of three months.
    If your body feels good whilst you're doing it, and you're losing weight like you want to - stick to it :smiley:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I weigh 208 lb and advised to eat 150 - 200 G protein a day. Told to avoid most carbs, fruit and stick to eggs, lean meat and fish. Eat some veg and nuts. No medical conditions .

That amount of protein is almost definitely going to be fine, long term. Overkill, likely - 125-150 grams (closer to 150, but don't fret/overthink it) is probably fine for you, and I'd think not too terribly hard to hit on a daily basis.
  • Wondervet
    Wondervet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My personal and "has worked well twice" while recovering from 2 different accidents is follow fitness pal calorie recommendation, no more than 20 grams fat per day..and make sure those are all good fats..like from fish, nuts, avacado, absolutely no refined sugars or carbs...so only sugar from fruit and only whole grains but limited on those, and the rest high quality proteins. But keep in mind, I also make sure I hit the pool or gym 3 to 4 times per week....and it's MAKE TIME..because I'm a mother, care for an ailing parent, a full time veterinarian (as in 24 hour a day sometimes), and own my own business....but it's a program that I can consistently lose one and a half to two pounds per week until I reach goal.hope that helps!