Troubles with Calorie intake

Options
I am fairly new to myfitnesspal and am having trouble eating enough calories in a day. Does anyone have any suggestions or meal plans that they have tried? Does anyone have any heathy recipes that they suggest? any help would be nice.

Thanks

Replies

• lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem! I could easily eat 3,500 calories a day....
  • jalc
    jalc Posts: 5
    Options
    Your profile says you are trying to lose weight so not eating "enough" calories is a good thing. If you have sufficient energy to exercise and do not feel hungry then I would not worry about it.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Try nuts....high calories and good fats
  • jska2769
    jska2769 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah I guess Im used to not eating so much, but before I was eating all the wrong foods. I now have the problem that I am eating 5 small meals a day (or three meals and 2 snacks) on top of working out, I now can't seem to get enough calories in me. Kind of frustrating.
  • laurad78
    laurad78 Posts: 7
    Options
    not true about the calorie intake if your not eating enough calories your body will go into starvation mode which can make you gain weight.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    As long as you are getting at least 1200 cal a day, you're great because your deficit is higher and will make you lose weight faster. Just don't go under 1200, that is fairly easy to do :)
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein drinks to your day. You can easily add in 200 calories, or more, depending on the kind you pick, with very little effort.

I do a Designer Whey chocolate protein powder and add in a cup soy milk and a tsp. cinnamon...tastes like chocolate milk. Comes in at about 170-ish calories. Yum. :)

Just keep tweaking things till it falls into place. You got this.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to myfitnesspal and am having trouble eating enough calories in a day. Does anyone have any suggestions or meal plans that they have tried? Does anyone have any heathy recipes that they suggest? any help would be nice.

Thanks

Are you eating fruits and vegatables? Try incorporate some heavier carbs like a bagel or fruit juices. I also really like the No More Belly Fat family cookbook. It has tons of heathy ideas for you and kids. There are even suggestions on what to pair the recipes with to make it a full meal.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I love the following cookbooks:

Betty Crockers 300 calorie cookbook
    Hungry Girl 300 under 300
    Crazy Plates
    Looney Spoons

They all have really healthy, lowfat meals and snack ideas that help get me through the day!! I would highly recommend them!
    Also, try avocado and nuts... things that are good for you (healthy fats) and offer high caloric intake!!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess Im used to not eating so much, but before I was eating all the wrong foods. I now have the problem that I am eating 5 small meals a day (or three meals and 2 snacks) on top of working out, I now can't seem to get enough calories in me. Kind of frustrating.

I would try not to worry about eating all of your exercise calories back. If you are able to lose weight and maintain your minimum calories ie 1200 then just stick with it. Once you hit a plateau then you will need to change something. Good luck!
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Just be sure to eat at least 1200kcal a day so your body doesn't think its starving and you start muscle wasting. Maybe you should increase the size of your meals a tad for example 3oz of lean meat at each meal, 1/2 cup of carbs (ADA changed the portion size to a 1/3 cup but I think that is just a tease) and give yourself a cup or more of vegetables. You'll be somewhere around 300kcal a meal and the 1200 mark wont be hard to achieve.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    When I started and I needed calories I would eat cocoa roasted almonds.. something like 24 in a serving and will give you calories (about 200) and give you a chocolate fix.

Someone else said protein shakes which is a good choice also! I use them now for breakfast as a milk shake which is filling and keeps me full all morning!

I had the same problem when I started. Now after 3 months not so much as i learned to eat more for breakfast and have a snack..

Good luck and this is a great site!!

Add me as a friend if you would like!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lolacanaday
    lolacanaday Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't always replace my "exercise calories" Make sure you eat at least 1050 to 1200 a day, a little more if you are working out vigorously. Make sure you get enough protein if you lift. I saved my exercise "points" when doing weight watchers to kind of have a "day off" on the weekend! I consistently lost 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week even with a "cheat day"!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Chances are you aren't eating any essential fats (EFA's). Incorporating avocado, almonds, almond butter, olive oil, coconut oil, salmon, etc. will get you these essential fats and increase calorie intake. Measure, measure, measure! These add up the calories with small amounts.
  • jska2769
    Options
    Your profile says you are trying to lose weight so not eating "enough" calories is a good thing. If you have sufficient energy to exercise and do not feel hungry then I would not worry about it.

I probably eat about 900 calories a day. I do have energy but I still don't think this is heathy. I donno
  • jska2769
    Options
    Chances are you aren't eating any essential fats (EFA's). Incorporating avocado, almonds, almond butter, olive oil, coconut oil, salmon, etc. will get you these essential fats and increase calorie intake. Measure, measure, measure! These add up the calories with small amounts.

Oh I never thought about avocados! I do cook with olive oil and not a huge nut or salmon person. Thanks for the tips!
  • jska2769
    Options
    Okay typical day for me:

Kellogg's - Raisin Bran - Extra!, 1 cup
    International Delight Coffee Creamer - Almond Joy, 2 Tbsp
    01k-Splenda *** - Sweetener, 2 packet
    Jacobs (Kraft) - Jacobs Krönung Black Ground Coffee (Germany), 2 mug
    Healthy Choice - Chicken Noodle Soup, 1 container (2 cups ea.)
    Kellog's - Special K Protein Meal Bar - Strawberry, 1 Bar
    Banana 6-7 In - Fresh, Raw, 4 oz
    Vip - Frozen Cut Corn, 2/3 cup
    Chicken Breast - Boneless Skinless Frozen, 4 oz
    Baja Fresh - Mexican Grill - Pico De Gallo, 0.5 oz.
    Goya - Black Beans-Raw, 1/8 cup dry

But I am always ending up needing 500-700 calories.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

I probably eat about 900 calories a day. I do have energy but I still don't think this is heathy. I donno

900 calories per day is not enough even without exercise! Add exercise on top of that, and you are at a HUGE deficit. Please increase your calorie intake to around 1200 per day. Make those 1200 calories healthy, whole foods & not processed crap.
  • jska2769
    Options
    Try adding some protein drinks to your day. You can easily add in 200 calories, or more, depending on the kind you pick, with very little effort.

I do a Designer Whey chocolate protein powder and add in a cup soy milk and a tsp. cinnamon...tastes like chocolate milk. Comes in at about 170-ish calories. Yum. :)

Just keep tweaking things till it falls into place. You got this.

Thanks! :)
  • jalc
    jalc Posts: 5
    Options
    900 Calories is not enough. I would think you would feel hungry with that small amount of calories. Do you eat breakfast? I always try to eat a big breakfast and makes me feel better in the morning and makes it much less likely that I will eat like a pig at lunch.