Substitutes for Pasta and Oil?

Options
Hey guys! I was at the grocery store earlier to try and find some low-cal pasta and oil but couldn't find any. I've heard of pasta that isn't really pasta... like rice or something but I cannot remember. I would make zucchini noodles but I don't have the machine or tools for it.

As for oil, I never use it, I'll use butter instead but I found a recipe for kale chips that calls for oil and I don't think butter would work the same, would it? I'm not ready to give up 100 of my calories for 1tbsp of oil!

So I would like to know your substitutes and if there are any low-cal options I could buy. I live in Canada, by the way. :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're probably looking for shiritaki noodles.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Yes! Thank you! :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

fwiw, I personally think the tofu ones are better than the yam ones. Neither is much like pasta (I'd use spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute. It doesn't require anything more than a fork).
    But, given your question, the tofu ones are kinda... boxed pad thai like.
    Rinse the heck out of them.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

fwiw, I personally think the tofu ones are better than the yam ones. Neither is much like pasta (I'd use spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute. It doesn't require anything more than a fork).
    But, given your question, the tofu ones are kinda... boxed pad thai like.
    Rinse the heck out of them.

I'll have to try both and see which I prefer. Maybe I'll go grab a squash first, it's probably cheaper. :)
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love the squash. Miss pasta though.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat a smaller helping of normal pasta and use the oil as it's called for, since it's about the same number of calories for the same amount of food.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I could never get passed the texture of the shiritaki noodles when I tried them. I've been thinking of getting one if those spiral slicers to make zucchini noodles, it sounds so good.

Do you have an oil mister? That's what I use when I do kale chips, it sprays a fine mist of oil so it's easy to apply and you end up using less

Also, these are delicious and very filling, not as much low cal but high in fiber and protein

http://www.explore-asian.com/mungbeanpasta
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You don't need lots of oil for kale chips. Tear the kale leaves, dry them well (you can put them between kitchen roll in a plastic/Ziploc bag in the fridge in advance), then lay out on a baking sheet, and use spray oil - that could be the 1-cal stuff you find, or if you have an oil mister that you can spray with. A few sprays and a sprinkle of salt and then bake in the oven.

I think if you used a tbsp. of oil they might be quite greasy and not so crisp.
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Why are you not eating pasta? I had chicken pasta with mayo for dinner today and it came to 341 cals, 50g wholewheat pasta (176 cal) 150g chicken breast.. (165 cal)

nothing wrong with it
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    zuchinni zoodles taste wayyyyyyyy better than shiratakin noodles in my opinion I could never get over the texture as far as oil goes, I still use it I just use olive or coconut now