Muscle Building Exercises without weights

Options
Hi all,

I am a 34 year old father of three little boys 4 and under. I was forced to cancel my gym membership because of my fatherly responsibilities at home. I have taken up leg lifts, using ab straps, and simple pushups. I started these exercises in February, and have since shed 21lbs and leaned myself up.

I started my pushup program using a pushup app on my phone, that claims I can do 125 continuous pushups once completed. When I started this program i was able to accomplish 160 total pushups...Now that the program is complete, I am now able to complete 444 pushups per day, adding 12 more per workout. I have seen better results from this workout routine than I have ever seen spending hours in the gym. I know a lot of it has as much to do with my current nutrition as it does my exercise routine (6 meals a day, minimal cardio, 3000 calorie intake).

My question to all of you is, are there any other effective muscle building exercises that you can do without weights, machines or a gym?? Any input would be appreciated.....

Replies

• hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    Anywhere you can put a pull-up bar? i have one in the garage. I also have been know to do walking lunges with buckes of water or cinder blocks.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

It has an awesome sort function that allows you to select body weight exercises. First choose a muscle and then use the filters on the left side and select "body only."
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    pull ups are great for working out your back

you can also try handstand push ups lean against a wall for balance.

or changing up your hand positioning while doing push ups can help target different parts like diamond push ups or doing push ups with your elbows tucked in as close to your body as you can this will work out mainly your triceps.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    this is the first time hearing about this push up program and sounds interesting.. think Im gonna give it a try :) thanks for this post. Sorry I dont know much about strength training but maybe you can also do planks..
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Which app did you use for the push ups
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

This is almost my EXACT situation! I'm a single dad of three incredible children (13, 5, and 4), I'm 36 years old, and have all of the same problems you have. I found an incredible website that fixed my problems completely! All free, no weights or real equipment, whatsoever. It sounds like you have a pull up bar already, which is the only real piece of extra equipment I'd recommend. If you want, I can send you a PM with the link to the site (it doesn't compete with this site at all, but I'm not sure the mods would allow a link to stay?). I too lost 20lbs very quickly by the way...with very similar exercises =D.

Also, if you add me on facebook (Cris Anderson at crisanderson27 at gmail dot com), I've posted some really good body weight workouts in my notes section. Here's a link to the one I think you'd be most interested in:

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150168646032182

Any of you that would like to add me here, or there...feel free. Surrounding yourself with like (healthy) minded individuals is the surest way to stick to your goals and succeed =D.

Cris

(Edit~ I see some others have posted links to other sites...so here's the link to that bodyweight forum I mentioned:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/forum.php

I think you'll enjoy it...the people there are TREMENDOUSLY helpful...much like here!)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Do bench presses with those kids of yours :laugh: (plus they might think it's a game! hehehe)
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yeah i was gonna say use your kids as weights
    one in each hand :laugh:
  • chardawg80
    chardawg80 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rittr.pushups&feature=search_result

I haven't tried the 125 continuous pushups yet to see if it really worked...I'm so hooked on my current routine after I completed it (ended at 388 pushups) I have just increased my sets by 1 or 2 to get to 444....tomorrow I am shooting for 456
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Do bench presses with those kids of yours :laugh: (plus they might think it's a game! hehehe)

LOL!!

I use my toddlers for extra weight when doing squats or walking lunges lol...they love it!
  • chardawg80
    Options
    kennie
    >>> LMAO!!!!

Thats next on my list....having them sit on my back!!!
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am a 34 year old father of three little boys 4 and under. I was forced to cancel my gym membership because of my fatherly responsibilities at home. I have taken up leg lifts, using ab straps, and simple pushups. I started these exercises in February, and have since shed 21lbs and leaned myself up.

I started my pushup program using a pushup app on my phone, that claims I can do 125 continuous pushups once completed. When I started this program i was able to accomplish 160 total pushups...Now that the program is complete, I am now able to complete 444 pushups per day, adding 12 more per workout. I have seen better results from this workout routine than I have ever seen spending hours in the gym. I know a lot of it has as much to do with my current nutrition as it does my exercise routine (6 meals a day, minimal cardio, 3000 calorie intake).

My question to all of you is, are there any other effective muscle building exercises that you can do without weights, machines or a gym?? Any input would be appreciated.....

Man, I'm all over the bodyweight stuff. There's a great site called. www.BodyWeightCulture.com I believe that has tons of stuff. Also, there is a universal dip thing... let's see.....

http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html

That is so great for Back/Bi/Chest/Shoulder work. I'm totally on board with you at 3,000 calories and minimal cardio (once a week max + lots of walking.) I think people waste so so so much time at the gym on silly machines. The only true need for a gym is for people who want to get really huge, the rest of us, going for toned and lean - home workouts are the *kitten*.

:)

plus - bro - that's a ton of push-ups.
  • chardawg80
    Options
    Cris,

I have to wait until my kids are in bed...otherwise they jump on my back to play and I can't hit my goal....

I actually think my next routine will be off chairs to get a lower dip....
  • chardawg80
    Options
    Hi all,

Man, I'm all over the bodyweight stuff. There's a great site called. www.BodyWeightCulture.com I believe that has tons of stuff. Also, there is a universal dip thing... let's see.....

http://www.ultimatebodypress.com/ultimate-body-press-dip-bar.html

That is so great for Back/Bi/Chest/Shoulder work. I'm totally on board with you at 3,000 calories and minimal cardio (once a week max + lots of walking.) I think people waste so so so much time at the gym on silly machines. The only true need for a gym is for people who want to get really huge, the rest of us, going for toned and lean - home workouts are the *kitten*.

:)

plus - bro - that's a ton of push-ups.

Steve,
    I am trying to build muscle mass through pushups and ab routines.....and everywhere I read says that if you are trying to bulk...you are NOT supposed to do a lot of cardio...that it breaks down muscle tissue...

I try and stick to once a week (when I can get out).....The last time I spent substantial time in the gym I lost 24lbs in a month...and went almost 15lbs below my target weight...I was skinny as a beanpole and even with a weight lifting routine I couldnt put anything back on...

This time I think I'm doing it right....6 meals...LOTS of protein, about 3k calories a day...I have been maintaining my current weight of 171....trying to get 4 more to my goal weight of 175...
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Steve,
    I am trying to build muscle mass through pushups and ab routines.....and everywhere I read says that if you are trying to bulk...you are NOT supposed to do a lot of cardio...that it breaks down muscle tissue...

I try and stick to once a week (when I can get out).....The last time I spent substantial time in the gym I lost 24lbs in a month...and went almost 15lbs below my target weight...I was skinny as a beanpole and even with a weight lifting routine I couldnt put anything back on...

This time I think I'm doing it right....6 meals...LOTS of protein, about 3k calories a day...I have been maintaining my current weight of 171....trying to get 4 more to my goal weight of 175...

They also have a bulking tutorial over at BWC (bodyweightculture). Take a look at the forums...it's amazing what you can do with bodyweight only. Add some weight plates, a resistance band...or a weighted vest (or children lol), and you can bulk up/gain strength quite easily.

I do cardio 5 days a week (well, I call 15-30 minutes on my heavy bag cardio lol), with the 30-45 minute bodyweight routiene I'm posting below 3 days a week:

Another Bodyweight Culture article, this one courtesy Cheesedog at:

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/showthread.php?11058-Bodyweight-Strength-Training

Bodyweight Strength Training

People are always asking about strength training using only bodyweight. This is nothing new or revolutionary. I am borrowing HEAVILY from Rippatoe, Bill Starr, and lots of other great authors and trainers. This is your basic 5 x 5 template. (To clarify, 5x5 is 5 reps x 5 sets. The idea is to work at a difficulty level where you could only do maybe 7-8 reps on the first set, and are struggling to finish 5 reps on the last set). You would do strength training 3 times a week, say Monday-Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off. These are done "lazy circuits" style, with about 1 minute rest between each set.

Workout A
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Horizontal push - 5 x 5
    1C. Horizontal pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - flexion - 3 x 5
    2B. Ab - static 3 x 30 seconds

Workout B
    1A. Knee dominant - 5 x 5
    1B. Vertical push - 5 x 5
    1C. Hip dominant - 5 x 5
    1D. Vertical pull - 5 x 5
    2A. Ab - rotation - 3 x 5
    2B. Grip and neck training - 3 x varies

Exercise Progressions - with regular weight training you can just add weight to the bar. With bodyweight progression is mostly about changing your leverage. These are just a few examples, I'm sure we could come up with dozens more if needed. You can always add resistance in the form of a weighted vest or backpack or resistance bands.

1. Knee Dominant -- squats, lunges, step-ups, bulgarian split squats, unilateral bent leg deadlift, partial one leg squat, one leg squat, box or stair pistols, full pistols.
    2. Horizontal Push -- pushups, decline pushups, resistance pushups, side to side pushups, stair one arm pushups, negative one arm pushups, full one arm pushups.
    3. Horizontal Pull -- body row, resistance body row, negative one hand row, incline one hand row, full one hand row.
    4. Ab - flexion -- crunches, situps, resistance or incline situps, reverse situp, resistance or incline reverse situps, hanging knee or leg raise, hanging pikes, rollout from knees, rollout from feet, dragon flag. Also included are oblique moves like side lying crunches with or without resistance and side lying two leg raise.
    5. Abs- static -- 4 point prone bridge, 3 point prone bridge, 2 point prone bridge, 4 point supine bridge, 3 point supine bridge.
    6. Vertical Push -- pike pushup, hindu pushup, divebomber pushup, decline pike pushup, decline hindu pushup, decline divebomber pushup, one arm pike pushup, negative handstand pushup, handstand pushup with head touching floor, full handstand pushup.
    7. Hip Dominant -- supine hip extension, good morning, one leg stiff leg deadlift, split one leg good morning, one leg supine hip extension, hyperextension, one leg hyperextension, natural glute-ham raise.
    8. Vertical Pull -- jumping or assisted pullups, pullups, resistance pullups, side to side pullups, negative one hand pullups, one hand pullups. All these can refer to chinups or neutral grip pullups as well.
    9. Ab - rotation -- twist crunches or situps, resistance or incline twist crunches or situps, russian twists, lying windshield wipers, standing rope rotations, hanging windshield wipers.
    10. Grip and Neck Training -- for grip you can use handgrippers, deadhangs from a pullup bar (especially a fatbar or gripping a towel). For neck nothing beats wrestlers bridges. If you are involved in a striking martial art or sport, finger and fist pushups are very important also.

None of these lists have to end here. If you get strong enough you can always add resistance to your full range of motion one limb exercise. Or if you can do more than 5 one hand pushups do decline one hand pushups, or start working on one hand hindu and then eventually one hand dive bombers, and so on.

Trust me...that WORKS.

Cris
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    mostly replying so I can save this work out schedule. I still need heavy cardio but need to add weight training. I'm 50, have arthritis in my hands and some issues w/ neck so the grip and neck training are likely out. I am not able to do a normal push up but have added planks though currently not consistent due to getting sick with colds and stuff over the past 5 months. I generally have stair running in a HIIT format. i.e. run till i can't breathe (out of breath) then walk till i've caught my breath and do them again. the staris are short and I run up and down. I try to do this daily, there are days when the time I put in is much shorter.
    I also am not able to do a pull up or a push up but could had push ups by using the couch and working my way down to the floor. Pull ups.. maybe assisted w/a band? I've not tried that yet.

My core is weak. Psoas cramps sometimes when I engage. Piriformis issues and weak hamstrings, they often cramp when engaged as well. Occasionally what feels like my intercostals or the upper portion of rectus abdominus will cramp when in an inverted yoga pose or stretch. I also bless with a very tight IllioTibialBand ITB.

Any ideas to add some resistance (body or otherwise) to my work out would be helpful.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    bump
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    mostly replying so I can save this work out schedule. I still need heavy cardio but need to add weight training. I'm 50, have arthritis in my hands and some issues w/ neck so the grip and neck training are likely out. I am not able to do a normal push up but have added planks though currently not consistent due to getting sick with colds and stuff over the past 5 months. I generally have stair running in a HIIT format. i.e. run till i can't breathe (out of breath) then walk till i've caught my breath and do them again. the staris are short and I run up and down. I try to do this daily, there are days when the time I put in is much shorter.
    I also am not able to do a pull up or a push up but could had push ups by using the couch and working my way down to the floor. Pull ups.. maybe assisted w/a band? I've not tried that yet.

My core is weak. Psoas cramps sometimes when I engage. Piriformis issues and weak hamstrings, they often cramp when engaged as well. Occasionally what feels like my intercostals or the upper portion of rectus abdominus will cramp when in an inverted yoga pose or stretch. I also bless with a very tight IllioTibialBand ITB.

Any ideas to add some resistance (body or otherwise) to my work out would be helpful.

If you have difficulty with any bodyweight exercise (push ups, pull ups, etc), you can always do the negative version. For push ups...hold yourself at the top, and let yourself down as slowly as possible. You can also do partials. Push yourself up only halfway, then let yourself down slowly for one session, the next session, start fully extended, let yourself down halfway, then push yourself back up. Same for pullups etc. You will be building the muscles necessary to do the full version, and eventually they will become easier.

Another option is assitance via bands as you mentioned (for pushups, do them under a pull up bar, and attach the band to the bard and around your chest)...and/or (in the case of pullups), you can use a stool, and use your legs to 'cheat' and help you up. YOU will have to control how much help you need...but your legs become your personal spotter. Also, on pullups...which require substantial wrist/grip strength, you can use wrist straps to take the stress off your grip. This lets the muscles that are intended to fatigue first...do what they need to do, without your wrist/grip failing and lessening the intensity of the workout.

I'm not sure which exercises you want to add resistance to, but the above advice should help with the ones you can't complete.

Hope that helps! And again, feel free to friend me on facebook, and check out the bodyweight culture links I posted above. They have a whole section devoted to training logs...and believe me, there's people of all sorts of health levels posting their logs in there.

Cris
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This may have been mentioned in one of the other posts as there is a lot of good information posted. Do a search on "manual resistance strength training" or a combination of the words. You are likely to find quite a bit of reference material.