Question for women with PCOS...

Options
So I was diagnosed with PCOS about a month ago and my doctor prescribed me Yasmin as a treatment. I was on it previously and I was losing weight when I was on it but barely. I was lucky to lose even a lb a week (and I was working out intensely 7 days a week and eating 1200-1400 cal/day). I went off it so that my hormone levels can be checked, and I was not losing ANY weight for the month in a half that I was on it (and I did everything that I can to keep losing ...zig zagging calories, eating more...etc). Anyway, I'm now on day 2 of it so we'll see if I see the scale drop.

My question is for other women who have it....what kind of treatments did your doctor give you? Are any of you guys on Metformin, and if so did it help you lose weight? what were the side effects?

Replies

• humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I was on Metformin...the only reason I think I lost weight on it was because I was so sick to my stomach that I COULDNT eat,.. blah! :sick: But my endocrinologist thinks in order for us to concieve I might have to go back on it. Not too excited for that.
  • kelsiemojean
    kelsiemojean Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been put on the Yaz and Spironolactone 25 mg once a day.

I am a social worker and have client's on metformin and have been told it is not a fun drug to take. Are they looking at putting you on that?
  • jmyers1230
    jmyers1230 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but my sister does. Her doctor told her to basically cut out carbs and processed sugars. She eats very little bread, pasta, and foods with sugar in them. The only sugars she eats are from fruit. She eats a lot of veggies and meat. I haven't seen her in 5 months, but at Christmas she had lost a ton of weight since changing her diet. I know she's lost more since Christmas because she's mentioned that her wedding ring was falling off again (too big!).
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I am not on BC as we are currently trying to have kiddos :) But I am on metformin, and I can tell you that I didn't lose any weight before the MET. I was also dieting and working out intensely (like dripping sweat cardio for an hour a day at least). Once I got on the met I did start losing weight. Almost 30 lbs gone and Im just now starting to plateau for some unknown reason...I have ALOT more to lose. But I do think the Metformin helps with insulin resistance and that was really my biggest problem.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but my sister does. Her doctor told her to basically cut out carbs and processed sugars. She eats very little bread, pasta, and foods with sugar in them. The only sugars she eats are from fruit. She eats a lot of veggies and meat. I haven't seen her in 5 months, but at Christmas she had lost a ton of weight since changing her diet. I know she's lost more since Christmas because she's mentioned that her wedding ring was falling off again (too big!).
    I agree with the low carb low sugar. If you DO need to eat carbs make sure its only whole grain:) so Brown rice, Whole grain pasta/breads. Basically nothing white and starchy.
  • mandisu
    mandisu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, I was put on Metformin and it gave me upset stomach, cramping, and diarrhea. I quit taking it after a few weeks when the symptoms weren't getting any better. I recently went back to my doctor because my husband and I are TTC and I asked for extended release Metformin (after doing my research) and let me tell you it is a world of difference!

Birth control is normally prescribed as a easy way out -- yes is helps hide the problem, but it doesn't really help. Find yourself a doctor that is willing to help you with your PCOS (i.e. one that is more knowledgeable about current research)

Have you had blood work done to see if you are Insulin Resistant? This often accompanies PCOS and hinders your ability to lose weight.

As for metformin and weight loss... I did lose weight when I started taking it but what I have noticed/ realized is, it's not the metformin that makes you lose weight. It's metformin making your body operate like normal people so that you can eat right & exercise and lose weight. I hope that makes sense :-/

I lost 20lbs on my own and my periods came back. It is very hard to lose weight and sometimes harder for people with PCOS but if you do it will eliminate the side effects associated with PCOS.
  • wilmelenne
    wilmelenne Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to talk about different treatments with my doctor and I was doing some reserach and saw that Metformin was sometimes given. I have literally tried EVERYTHING to lose weight including cutting out carbs...i avoid white bread, white rice, pasta and all that starchy carbs (This was a lifestyle change, I barely eat these foods if ever). Of course I still eat fruit and whole wheat bread (only on occasion). I have lost more than 20 lbs of weight (more than 10% of body weight) and my period never came after I got off the pill. I even took a pregnancy test and I knew that wasn't why it wasn't coming. The doctor ran some blood tests mostly for hormones, but I'm going to ask her to run an insulin sensitivity test...This might explain things...

It's frustrating when you know you're as healthy as can be...if you look at my diaries...i work out like CRAZY and yes have some bad days but most days I'm pretty good! and not losing any weight...I've falling off the wagon recently because I'm discouraged.

I hate using PCOS as the excuse, but there has to be a reason that I'm having a hard time losing anymore weight...
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to talk about different treatments with my doctor and I was doing some reserach and saw that Metformin was sometimes given. I have literally tried EVERYTHING to lose weight including cutting out carbs...i avoid white bread, white rice, pasta and all that starchy carbs (This was a lifestyle change, I barely eat these foods if ever). Of course I still eat fruit and whole wheat bread (only on occasion). I have lost more than 20 lbs of weight (more than 10% of body weight) and my period never came after I got off the pill. I even took a pregnancy test and I knew that wasn't why it wasn't coming. The doctor ran some blood tests mostly for hormones, but I'm going to ask her to run an insulin sensitivity test...This might explain things...

It's frustrating when you know you're as healthy as can be...if you look at my diaries...i work out like CRAZY and yes have some bad days but most days I'm pretty good! and not losing any weight...I've falling off the wagon recently because I'm discouraged.

I hate using PCOS as the excuse, but there has to be a reason that I'm having a hard time losing anymore weight...
    I have been doing the exact same thing.....the plateau is discouraging me like crazy...I wish you the best of luck!
  • cmo1987
    cmo1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just had blood work done a week ago and they called saying I may have PCOS. I go to the Dr in 2 weeks and more blood work in about 6 weeks.
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 1/2 months ago. I had blood work done 3 years ago when I was feeling tired and just not right and was told my testosterone levels were slightly elevated and was put on Metformin to "help me use my glucose better". The side effects where so bad I quit. I was tracking my food before I was diagnosed and knew some thing was wrong when weeks of low fat/l low carb/ low calorie (1200/day) eating I gained a pound. My Gyno sent me for an ultra sound and blood test and diagnosed me 03/08/11. I went from relief, to fear, to anger to sadness in a matter if minutes. I was referred to an endocrinologist who confirmed insulin resistance and I started on Metformin Extended Release (:happy: no bad GI symptoms). To date I've lost 21 pounds and the feelings of tiredness are gone.
    Note: Watch carbs if you take Metformin. Your stomach can get a little upset if you take it after eating pasta.
    Good luck!
  • mosaix
    mosaix Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a chance to read any other replies, so I'm sorry if this is repeated. but I'm on metformin & it's the only way I ever manage to lose weight. Have you tried the GI diet? It is recommended for women with PCOS as it keeps blood sugars even throughout the day. Many PCOS women I know have successfully lost significant amounts of weight on it.
  • wildchild_jmr
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed in '04. It took 4 years to conceive our now almost 2 year old. My hormones are back out of whack again, so I'm working on correcting them naturally. When I was diagnosed, I took Metformin for about a year. I never did adjust to the GI side effects of it and it never seemed to have a significant impact. I also tried six months of clomid with no evidence that it ever caused me to ovulate. After a comnsultation with an RE, we chose not to try anything more invasive. After several years with no success, I switched to a low GI/diabetic/South Beach diet and saw tremendous results. In about a year and a half, I lost a significant amount of weight & my hormones were much more regulated. I also started taking Vitex. After about 80lbs lost and six months of vitex, I was pregnant. About the time she hit a year old, I could feel my body beginning to have issues again. I started Met again and still couldn't get used to it. I started seeing a naturopath, went back on vitex and started evening primrose oil. I started having slightly more regular periods and am losing weight finally! If you've got any questions about our journey, feel free to message me or add me.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am hormone sensitive. And when they shift I tend to mimic PCOS symptoms. VITEX is a herbal pill that helps regulate your hormones better. When I dont have my Monthly I start taking it fora week- a month to get it going. you can get it at GNC.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So I was diagnosed with PCOS about a month ago and my doctor prescribed me Yasmin as a treatment. I was on it previously and I was losing weight when I was on it but barely. I was lucky to lose even a lb a week (and I was working out intensely 7 days a week and eating 1200-1400 cal/day). I went off it so that my hormone levels can be checked, and I was not losing ANY weight for the month in a half that I was on it (and I did everything that I can to keep losing ...zig zagging calories, eating more...etc). Anyway, I'm now on day 2 of it so we'll see if I see the scale drop.

My question is for other women who have it....what kind of treatments did your doctor give you? Are any of you guys on Metformin, and if so did it help you lose weight? what were the side effects?

Don't let them put u on birth control to just fix it cause it wont help u later when u want to have kids do the metformin (i'm on it i really dont know if that is what helped me lose weight or my persistance but i do know the metformin made my acandosis nigracans on my neck armpits inner thigh go away, for like a month u will have diarrhea and nausea i've only physically thrown up like twice maybe u mostly feel nausea until you have explosive diarrhea (sorry for the brutal honesty) i've been on it for 5 months and due to my weight loss (which i dont know if it was the metformin really) i have decreased from 2000mg to 1000mg I've lost 40lbs in the last 6 months (10 of which before i started metformin) hoping to be down another 10 by my next doctors appt and be off metformin completely best of luck! oh and Zumba!! try it cause i didnt do zumba for 2 months cause my wii was broken and did biggest loser cardio max and in that time only lost 4lbs bought a new wii and have lost 4lbs in 2 weeks i do 40-60mins a day

6148478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm recently diagnosed with PCOS, do you think the BC pills make some difference? I was told to have them, but I don't really want to, I would like to try something natural...what would happen if you don't take them?
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm recently diagnosed with PCOS, do you think the BC pills make some difference? I was told to have them, but I don't really want to, I would like to try something natural...what would happen if you don't take them?

its always your choice what to take. I have PCOS and currently am not on anything. I reduced my gluten and carb intake and most of my symptoms have gotten better. Birth control will make your periods more normal, metformin could help with the weight loss and if you have insulin resistance it will help that. PCOS is different for everyone, though.
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options

More cysts.
    If I wasn't already on BC pills my gyno (who diagnosed me in march 2011) would have put me on. If you read the side effects of Metformin one of them is that it can cause changes in your menstrual cycle (promote ovulation) and increase the risk of becoming pregnant. The ovarian cysts are the result of follicles that don't fully mature and rupture during your cycle like they are supposed to. So, basically going on BC has protected my ovaries from further damage. My Doctor recommended I continue until I'm ready for kids. He referred me to an endocrinologist for insulin resistance.