question about settings

Options
fitoverfifty
fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
So, I was wondering, I had originally set my daily activity as " moderate", considering I walk my dog every day. So, that gives me the extra calories. If on top of that I log my daily dog walk, I would get the same added calories again......So, should I just put "sedentary" in my settings, and then log all my activities and get credit as I go? If that is true, then everyone who works out should still set their original setting at sedentary, or, if they don't, not log their activity, as it was already calculated in?

Replies

• ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Keep the moderate setting and eat back calories you burn on the walks
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work out a lot and chose to keep my setting as sedentary, so that I know exactly how many exercise calories I can eat back. I don't eat them all back, but some days I do. For me it's just a preference so that I can be extra aware of what I'm eating vs. burning.
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are double dipping with the calories ;-) If you have a sedentary lifestyle, you may want your MFP settings reflect just that. I would however be careful with logging "everything". Personally, if I do a 15-30 min walk with my dog, it doesn't get logged. I only log the cardio sessions and the strength training. Time will tell what works best for you as everybody is different :-)
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I changed my settings to sedentary so now I can log my workouts and walks. I walk 80 minutes, but I take the " calories burned" they give me with a grain of salt :-)..........According to them, I burned more on the elliptical for 40 minutes than I burn when I walk for 80.......I know from the way I feel that that is not correct.......So I'll go easy on the extra calories :-)
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, I changed my settings to sedentary so now I can log my workouts and walks. I walk 80 minutes, but I take the " calories burned" they give me with a grain of salt :-)..........According to them, I burned more on the elliptical for 40 minutes than I burn when I walk for 80.......I know from the way I feel that that is not correct.......So I'll go easy on the extra calories :-)

I think they are correct. I burn way more calories on the elliptical than I do walking at a brisk pace. My weight loss results show that to be true for me.