GOING OVER SUGAR DAILY GOAL

Options
I have been with MyFitnessPal for 7 days and I like it. The issue I am having is that I keep over over my sugar daily goal but I am going under my calorie goal daily. Will this affect my weight loss? My goal is to lose 2 lbs a week.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I go over my goal almost every day and I lose weight. Your deficit is what drives weight loss.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Being over on sugar is an issue if:

1) You have a medical condition that requires you to monitor your intake
    2) You have personally chosen to cut back on sugar

It's not inherently bad. Try to reach your goal for calories each day, but if you're under by a little, that's OK :)

~Lyssa
  • ButterflyGirl2002
    ButterflyGirl2002 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks guys.
  • kriegmeister
    kriegmeister Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Its possible to be in a calorie deficit and not lose weight if insulin is chronically high. It depends on how much sugar and when your eating it. Just try to keep the bulk of sugar consumption around workouts if you can :)
  • kayvanne
    kayvanne Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think it makes a difference too on where your sugar comes from (refined vs natural).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    Options
    In general, unless you have a medical issue, when it comes to weight loss, the macros of what you eat are less important than how many total calories you end up absorbing!

Many people chose to monitor their macros so that they can hit specific targets. Examples are ensuring adequate protein for muscle retention. Ensuring certain amounts of fat and fiber and even carbohydrates for general health.

Some people chose to eat more protein and fat and carbs with less of a glycemic load in an attempt to not feel hungry during caloric restriction <-- that's me!

But, in terms of pure weight loss, total calories trump where the calories come from.
  • kriegmeister
    Options
    kayvanne wrote: »
    I think it makes a difference too on where your sugar comes from (refined vs natural).

Agreed
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep going over on sodium :/
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    In general, unless you have a medical issue, when it comes to weight loss, the macros of what you eat are less important than how many total calories you end up absorbing!

Many people chose to monitor their macros so that they can hit specific targets. Examples are ensuring adequate protein for muscle retention. Ensuring certain amounts of fat and fiber and even carbohydrates for general health.

Some people chose to eat more protein and fat and carbs with less of a glycemic load in an attempt to not feel hungry during caloric restriction <-- that's me!

But, in terms of pure weight loss, total calories trump where the calories come from.

Well put.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have been with MyFitnessPal for 7 days and I like it. The issue I am having is that I keep over over my sugar daily goal but I am going under my calorie goal daily. Will this affect my weight loss? My goal is to lose 2 lbs a week.

Nope. Calorie in/calorie out.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No, your body does not distinguish between sugar. Moderation in all things is good.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, your body does not distinguish between sugar. Moderation in all things is good.

Yep. Too much sugar is too much sugar--it doesn't matter where it comes from.

OP, we had a thread on this exact topic just a couple of days ago. You might want to scroll down a page or two.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Nope. I lost weight eating cake and ice cream.
  • kriegmeister
    Options

This is inaccurate. Different sugars have different chemical structures and are thus metabolized differently.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i go over on sugar every single day its all good :D
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Yep. Too much sugar is too much sugar--it doesn't matter where it comes from.

OP, we had a thread on this exact topic just a couple of days ago. You might want to scroll down a page or two.

And, too much sugar is open to individual interpretation. :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options

This is inaccurate. Different sugars have different chemical structures and are thus metabolized differently.

I disagree. However, please explain what you mean and share how this has anything to do with weight loss, because weight loss in strictly calories in/calories out.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

You can say the same for all food, but Regardless of what kind of sugar it is or where it came from at the end of the day a calorie is a calorie and 3500 of them = a pound of fat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar every day. Most of it is fruit, but I do have a bit of dark chocolate or another small treat most days. I've been at my goal weight for over two years and have no health issues. Sugar is not the devil.
  • ZiggySquish
    ZiggySquish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always thought that sugars from fruit were somehow "less bad" for you than refined sugar? I eat SO much fruit its redic... but I've still been losing, (only a month in though...) Anyway, I guess its just your calories in/out?