Really bad gas pain in abdomen. Hasn't stopped in 12 hours.

Options
Help! I have a really bad gas pain in my upper abdomen. I've tried baking soda and water, warm lemon water, tea and ginger ale but it won't go away. I'm also unable to use the bathroom :( what's wrong with meee

Replies

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    have you taken any ibuprofen or nsaids lately? it could be irritation from that, or you may have mild gastritis from a virus or something. if it doesn't go away by tomorrow or gets worse you should probably see a doctor. Gallbladder attacks can feel like they are in your stomach, have you ever had problems with gallstones or anything? I find activated charcoal tablets helpful for problems that are bloating/gas related.. they kind of absorb the gas and pass it on through.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Call a doctor?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    See a doctor, sounds like a gall bladder attack to me. Mine were right along the bottom of my rib cage where my diaphragm is, and they were AWFUL.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    too much oatmeal fermenting in your gut? LOL That happens to me :) Seek MD if it doesn't go away.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dear lord. why.

ugh- if you're in severe pain get off the internet and go to the damn doctor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    How long have you been unable to use the bathroom? Are you talking only #2 (poo) or are you also unable to urinate? Are you passing gas? If not and it's been more than a day, you should go to the ER immediately. You could have an intestinal obstruction.

If you are, then try drinking plenty of liquids, make sure you are getting enough fat, and maybe try Miralax. Miralax is a gentle safe way to pull water to your bowels to eliminate constipation. Just follow the directions and drink plenty of fluids. Coffee may also help.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The last time I felt like that it was my appendix going. I would have thought it would be a sharper pain on my right side but it just felt like gas for the first few hours that gradually got worse and worse. I'd get to the emergency room (not urgent care) if it continues.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Totally agree
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've had that. It's awful. I ended up getting some antacid and laxatives and eventually it helped... but it took a while.
  • glfernandes828
    glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Milk of Magnesia saved my life! I feel so much better. It wasn't severe pain but I knew that if it didn't go away by tomorrow I would definitely go to the doctor. I think what may have caused it is that since I've been eating super healthy for the past few weeks, then this weekend was a special weekend and I went out to eat three times; Arby's classic roast beef sandwich for lunch then a ham and cheese melt on French toast with a really sweet raspberry sauce at a restaurant for dinner (same day) and then Sunday a huge meal of Peruvian chicken, rice and beans and fried plantains (I was so hungry I ate the whole plate).

I'm not used to eating that much beans and especially fried plantains so I'm sure my stomach was fighting back because it's not used to all this restaurant food.

I'm going to be more careful with what I eat from now on. I don't ever want to have that pain again.
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is working on a bowl busting dooter. Hope I'm not around when the hammer drops!

Lmao eww at ur choice of words
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    dear lord. why.

+1

I could not stay out of the bathroom during both of my gallbladder attacks, but I don't know if that experience is typical. It was a very intense pain like you describe. It lasted about 16 hours the first time.

If you're experiencing a fever in conjunction with this pain, head to the ER. You should probably get checked out just in case anyway.
  • B00kw0rm09
    B00kw0rm09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten anything with chicory root extract? It's in some Fiber One bars, and oddly, in reduced sugar foods. I've never felt pain like the pain from chicory root.

http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/66-Fiber-One-Bars-make-me-Fart.html
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    B00kw0rm09 wrote: »
    Have you eaten anything with chicory root extract? It's in some Fiber One bars, and oddly, in reduced sugar foods. I've never felt pain like the pain from chicory root.

I don't think so but I had so many beans yesterday so that's a lot of fiber. I'll watch out for that chicory root though, thanks!
  • glfernandes828
    Options
    dear lord. why.

+1

I could not stay out of the bathroom during both of my gallbladder attacks, but I don't know if that experience is typical. It was a very intense pain like you describe. It lasted about 16 hours the first time.

If you're experiencing a fever in conjunction with this pain, head to the ER. You should probably get checked out just in case anyway.

Ouch! Stomach pain is so terrible :( I will get checked out to be safe, thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Doctor?
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    B00kw0rm09 wrote: »

dear lord, this stuff is in pretty much everything now, especially gluten free or dairy alternatives...it causes some awful bloating
  • philocham
    philocham Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you started taking a new vitamin lately? I was taking some juice plus ones and it cramped me up really bad, I stopped it and started on a probiotic and I have been feeling way better.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    FYI: My mother's doctors almost killed her by continuing to send her home with "gas pains." Then her appendix ruptured.

If the pain is severe and unusual for you, go to the doctor and make them make SURE whether it's gas or not.