Traveling to Paris in a few weeks... Help Please!

Options
So I'm going on a week long trip to Paris in May. Does anyone have a clue if the app with recognize barcodes while I'm in France? Secondly does anyone have and good tips for eating while traveling? I'll get a ton of exercise in from all the walking, but the food! Dear god the food in France!

Replies

• annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Eat the food, all of it :) Like you said, you'll be getting a lot of exercise. Enjoy your trip! Not sure about the barcodes, my guess would be yes since people from around the world use mfp.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    just eat your food and enjoy your trip!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would not count a single calorie if I was going to France! Have FUN!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    meweiglejr wrote: »
    So I'm going on a week long trip to Paris in May. Does anyone have a clue if the app with recognize barcodes while I'm in France? Secondly does anyone have and good tips for eating while traveling? I'll get a ton of exercise in from all the walking, but the food! Dear god the food in France!
    If you eat like French women do, then you'll be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I think when I travel, the walking balances out...so enjoy the baguettes, croissants, and crepes! Have a great trip and walk your a** off!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're in France and eating food that comes with barcodes, you're not doing it right! :smile:
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Best tip I have. Eat like there is no tomorrow. Try everything. My regret from my time in europe is not trying anything outside my comfort zone. Enjoy your trip
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Each time I go back to France (my homeland) I lose weight, and I have family dinner evryday so do not worry about the food. The barcode will most likely not work as EU barcodes and US barcodes have different standard
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I walked a lot when I was in France and actually lost about 5 lbs. If I were you I would eat everything I could and have a wonderful time.
  • lesliereloaded
    lesliereloaded Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You only live once. Enjoy your trip and eat all you want... It's freaking Paris
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I spent two weeks in Europe (Germany, Paris, London) in the fall and maintained weight via lots of walking and portion control. I had pastry every day, ate cheese, drank lots of wine, but ate smaller portions at meals and walked everywhere. The food is amazing - enjoy!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Eat the food, all of it :) Like you said, you'll be getting a lot of exercise. Enjoy your trip!

This. So much of this. Eat the food and drink the wine (if you drink...). Enjoy yourself. It's friggin Paris!! (I ate my way through a week in Paris a few years ago. It was worth every calorie.)
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    They don't serve our huge portions, and the nouvelle cuisine doesn't use the rich, buttery sauces. You'll be fine.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You'll walk so much it will be hard to eat it back. unless you eat at cafe angelina.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you're in France and eating food that comes with barcodes, you're not doing it right! :smile:

This too...
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you eat like French women do, then you'll be fine.

By that I'm guessing that you mean that they tend to eat at a calorie level that allows them to maintain their weight.

For what it's worth, Parisian women get a lot of incidental exercise. Most Parisians tend to shop in markets within walking distance of their homes and they don't tend to keep a lot of food in the house (tiny little refrigerators), so they shop pretty much every day. They also rack up a lot of steps walking to Metro stations to get around the city. And, most old apartment buildings have no elevators, so, if they live in a 5th floor walk up apartment, that's a lot of stair stepping every day. It all adds up.

• tdplus3
    tdplus3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Do not worry
    When you go to France you will always be hungry and you will get used to it
    The served food portions for a full meal are more like appetizer bites at home
    You better carry lots of trail mix whereever you go !
    Barcodes will not work, you will not need them any way
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Yes.... OMG, the food in France!! It's amazing... Eat it.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    omg, the food in france!! enjoy yourself.

look, if you're going to be eating out a lot, enjoy yourself, log if you are so inclined, but you're on vacation. just eat like a normal person. no need to get a personal appetizer at each meal. get something for the table.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My recommendation to you is to log as best you can IF you want to. You might be better off just writing notes in your phone and then logging once back at your hotel. You could take note of the restaurant and the item you ordered

Are you traveling with other people? If so, take advantage of that! Sharing is caring ;)

Be thoughtful when choosing what to eat, just making sure that what you choose sounds yummy to you and not just good enough.

Have fun! Don't eat till you're overfull. You'll be FINE.

Give yourself 1-2 weeks after you get back for the weight to level off. Then you'll know if you set yourself back much, if at all.

Really, though, don't worry about it.

This is a lifestyle change - you have to keep living your life!

~Lyssa