124 too low for 5'8" female?

Options
I was wondering if people think that weighing 124 pounds when you're a 21 year old 5'8" female is too thin a goal.

For some reason I've always thought 124 was my "perfect" weight and I've reached it twice in the past. However I'm not sure if it's too low a goal and maybe I should aim for something higher??? So I was just hoping to get some random opinions :)

I'm currently 133 pounds and last summer I lost 17 pounds on here

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Don't lose any more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It is pretty low, even if you have a small structure. I don't see how many people, if any, could maintain that.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My sister hit 120lbs for her wedding on a medium frame, it never kept though, and she is happily a size 4 at 135
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You look great right now.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I'm 147. The lowest I go is 140 and then I start looking sick. I have a large frame though.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It is pretty low, even if you have a small structure. I don't see how many people, if any, could maintain that.

I think that's what happened, I had no problem reaching it and maintaining it for a few months (the longest being 8 months) but it was too much work and not something I could maintain without having to concentrate on it daily.

I think sometimes have a hard time setting higher goals because once (when I was under eating three years ago) I reached 118 (which I know is way too under weight) so I always feel like I can do "better" even though I know I'm fine and I like how I look.
    My sister hit 120lbs for her wedding on a medium frame, it never kept though, and she is happily a size 4 at 135

Same, I'm a size 4 at 135 to 130ish.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You look great right now.

Thank you!!!

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That seems very thin to me, but it depends on exactly how your body is shaped.

You may find that what was achievable at 18 or 19 is not possible at 21. Most of us fill out a bit in those years.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm only an inch taller than you and my goal weight is ten pounds above what you weigh NOW.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6in and this morning I was at 121lbs (I'm in maintenance.) This puts my bmi at 19.5 and going any lower than that I start to look sickly. I did get to a bmi of 18.9 when I was transitioning into maintenance, which is what your goal weight would put you at, and I looked pretty rough at that marker. When you get to a lower weight on the bmi scale for your height, there's a very fine line between looking healthy and thin, and looking sickly and gaunt. I really noticed it in my face-crazy what a few pounds difference can make, but it really does! I'd adjust your goal weight up a few pounds, and remember you will have a maintenance range, not a set maintenance weight. Most people chose a 3-5lb window. So maybe set yours for 129-current weight and start transitioning into maintenance now?
  • ces0123
    ces0123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mom is 5'8'' and has always been around 120. When she was in her twenties, she weighed around 110. Every persons body is different. It sounds low to me, but you know what is right for you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

For what it's worth I'm 5'7" 150# and a size 4.
    weight lifting for the win!
    At 5'7" and 140, I was looking a tad too thin and size 0 skirts were ok, size 2 pants.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

At 5'7" and 140, I was looking a tad too thin and size 0 skirts were ok, size 2 pants.

I weighed 155 at my last competition. I'm 5'8" and wore somewhere between 10-12 (depended on the brand). There's no way I would fit into something smaller than a 10 ever.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I weighed 155 at my last competition. I'm 5'8" and wore somewhere between 10-12 (depended on the brand). There's no way I would fit into something smaller than a 10 ever.

You have epic quads. I do not =[
    Also I have no idea how my *kitten* fits a 4.
    oh wait, vanity sizing and Old Navy lol
    I do wear up to an 8 in some brands