How do I let this happen

Options
I failed myself in a big way today. After getting home this evening from work I snacked on junk. I would have been just under my calories for the day. Why didn't I stop it from getting this bad in the first place. I am 245lbs and I am struggling to keep up with the demands of a busy, stressful life. I would seek to reduce the stress but we take what life throws at us. Needless to say if I could avoid the circumstances for it I would. I need advice, I need support, I need motivation. Help me please.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think the first step you might take is to clear your home of any food that you don't plan to eat. And make better choices readily available. That way you don't have to try so hard.
  • rcaissie2012
    rcaissie2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above but also know that you can't beat yourself for to long. You need to realize you did wrong which you have done and then move forward.

I would love to offer you support and motivation if you would like to add me

Rachelle
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try not to be so hard on yourself. These things happen, just get back on board and keep going. So long as the trend is downward, you'll be okay. How do you let this happen? Easy, you tell yourself it's okay. What's worse though, saying no to temptation or this kind of self loathing afterwards?

Despite the fact that you've made a bad choice - you're not a bad person because of it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Maybe find some other ways to deal with the stress in your life? Some times we can't reduce the stress, but we can find a more user friendly way to deal with the dramas life throws at us. Try looking up different ways to alleviate stress,, perhaps?

Just remember - it's okay! You're here, you're doing well! You've recognised there is a problem, all you have to do is keep plugging away at it. You'll get better at it eventually. Discover what foods you just can't moderate (for me it's chocolate, I can't have just one piece - I eat a whole block in one sitting) and keep it out of the house and away from you. When you can avoid the temptation once, twice, thrice - it's a huge step forward and will make you feel good that you've succeeded. Think small. The big picture is always overwhelming.

You can do this. You have been doing this. In the words of Dory - Just Keep Swimming.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Colleen, at least from where I'm sitting, you've got it all right here in what you posted:
    I failed myself ... ... today. ...

Yeah, you did (a little), but only today. One singular event does not establish the pattern that you're trying to create for yourself.

Yeah, so a tiny battle has been lost tonight, but your war is still on. Resolve to win the war and accept some imperfect performances of personal will along the way.

Looking at sharing the responsibility with circumstances won't help you win next time. Accept what's done and move forward to care for yourself.

You'll do great, Colleen, just keep at it, and don't lose this same battle again (there will be other battles soon enough)

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I have bad days, I don't beat myself up for it. I say, "well, I ate my maintenance calories so at least I didn't gain." You will have bad days, and it's ok.

Having healthy snacks available is a good idea. I'd preportion carrots in bags or a serving of pretzels in a bag so if I were hungry I could grab them and they were already measured so I knew what I was eating.

Also, if this happens often, and you set your goal to 2 lbs per week, you may want to consider setting your loss goal to 1 or 1.5 lb per week. You will get more calories and are subsequently more likely to stick to your plan. Losing 2 lb a week is great, but not if you can't stick to it. This goes for any weight loss goal setting.

Finally, if you find that you binge at the same time every day, you may want to start incorporating a snack before this time in to your calories. This will help offset binges. Prelogging your meals helps with this.