60lb down... Finally!

Options
GameChanger82
GameChanger82 Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
Namaste y'all!

I finally, finally reached the 60lb milestone.

My journey so far
  • 332.0lb in June 2013, my heaviest ever
  • 273.6lb in March 2014, a loss of 58.4lb :-)
  • 307.0lb in January 2015, having put 33.4lb back on :-(
  • 271.4lb today, a loss of 60.6lb :-)

I lost almost 60lb in the first 9 months, but then slipped back into some bad habits last year, partly as a result of stress at work, and it took me another 13 months to make it to the 60lb milestone.

What's working for me
  1. I walk to work every day now, and I try to walk around during the day too, at least at lunchtime.
  2. I run three times a week - two 5k runs before work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then a longer run on Saturdays. I've made these runs into a ritual - I set my running clothes out on the floor next to my bed at night, so there's no decision to make in the morning: I just get up and go.
  3. I play badminton twice a week - after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's social and not too intense, so it's not making me much fitter, but it's a great way to experience the benefits of being lighter and stronger with a greater cardiovascular capacity.
  4. I bought myself a bike as a birthday present last March, and I cycle to my parents' house most weekends instead of getting taxis or lifts. I also go out riding for fun occasionally, and use it to get to a local park for running at the weekends.
  5. I bought an induction hob last year to replace my crappy electric hob. It's made a huge difference for cooking - it's much easier to cook with, so I cook more, so I don't buy as much unhealthy processed food.
  6. I also invested in a Vitamix last month. It's fantastic, and like the hob, it makes it much easier to get nutritious, low-fat food into me. I've become a big fan of green smoothies and have started to replace my solid breakfasts with green smoothies, which has helped with weight loss.
  7. Finally, I have bought a Withings Body Analyser and a Withings Blood Pressure Monitor - both fantastic tools for keeping track of progress.

Victories
  1. I completed my first 10K running race three weekends ago. It was a great feeling to be part of the crowd running, and to be cheered on. I would have been too ashamed and too unfit to run a couple of years ago, so this is great progress for me.
  2. I've dropped several jeans sizes - and I need more new jeans, as well as more new holes in my leather belts.
  3. I'm in a wonderful romantic relationship now and I don't think this would have happened if I hadn't started to take better care of myself.
  4. My blood pressure has come down from a worrying 146/86 in January 2015 to a much healthier 133/70.
  5. My resting heart rate is 51 bpm now, also significantly down.

What's next
  • Run 5K in under 30 minutes (I'm at 32:49 at the moment)
  • Run 10K in under 60 minutes
  • Complete the Great North Run (half marathon in Newcastle, UK) this September
  • Start swimming regularly again (I used to be a keen swimmer before I was so heavy)
  • Weigh under 250lb by December 2015
  • Weigh under 215lb eventually (this means I will be "not obese")
  • Body fat <25%
  • Blood pressure <120/80

Wish me luck and please friend me if you want some mutual support and motivation!

Lose on!

Sam

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!