Beginner

Options
Jessica4z
Jessica4z Posts: 6 Member
I need all the help I can get. I am 28 years old at 190ish pounds. I am looking to lose 30+ pounds. I don't know what to do or where to start. I don't have the extra income to get a gym membership or a trainer, and I don't have internet service where I live. I hate the way I look and feel, and it is affecting my confidence at work and in public. I feel alone in this battle. It would be helpful to have the support of others.

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in the battle (the thousands of mfp members are proof of this!). Welcome to the site, and the pillar of support (take note that it can be blunt support at times, but always with the best of intentions) it can be if you utilise it right, whilst using what internet connection you do have. I'm guessing you do have some limited access since you're posting here ;)

In regards to where to start; if you mean mfp, I suggest some of these starter threads to get some ideas:
    A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants.
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging accuracy, consistency, and you're probably eating more than you think.

As to exercise, I don't know about everyone else, but I started the cheapest way possible - walking. You have feet? You can walk. You may be surprised how little you do actually move until you start to record it. Most phones have a pedometer function these days, and its a great way to start getting you to move more. I checked your profile which says you're trying to ease some back problems, so it's probably the best exercise for you to start with since it's low impact providing you don't overdo it by pretending you're a mountain goat straight away. A gym isn't necessary. A great tool if it's available to you, but not necessary.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Yes to walking. You can do this! Feel free to add me for support.
  • Jessica4z
    Options
    Thank you Mangrothian and thegreatcanook!
  • mleeschum
    mleeschum Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Jessica! My name is McKenzie. Nice to meet you! I don't have a lot of money for gym memberships or equipment either. However, I would definitely suggest getting a pedometer if you don't already have one! I found one called Striiv on eBay for really cheap. It also has this silly (but fun) little game that helps motivate you. It lets you set goals too which is really motivational. Even better, every time you hit a goal or get a certain amount of steps in (over time, not just in a day) you can actually use those points to have Striiv donate to a charity! The other day I took over 10,000 steps and was surprised that it totaled more calories burnt than cycling for 30 minutes. Granted that's quite a bit of walking but walking is easy and free and typically something we do anyway! Striiv isn't necessary of course, but it is fun! I would, however, advise a pair of walking shoes that are comfy for you! Best of luck to you! : )

Also I've added you as a friend!
  • jennettewooten
    jennettewooten Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi i am jennette and after all health problems this last year 2 surgerys i need to lose 30 or more pounds..I need people that can relate and help and encourage instead of hearing wow you gained weight(kids and hubby)..looking forward to this new app :) have a great day
  • Mamaof2getsfine
    Mamaof2getsfine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do it without spending tons of money on gyms and fancy meal plans. I'm simple and sweet is my kinda plan. =) I'm back at this because I decided I didn't want depression to make me unhealthy and completely out of shape. In 2011, a happier time in my life I was able to lose weight easy with myfitnesspal. I followed the calorie in take, did a 10 min workout vid daily and lose 35 lbs in 4 months. I didn't have cheat meals, didn't need tgen because I satisfied my self by eating things in moderation. I plan on taking the same exact route this time too. I recently loss a pregnancy at 2 and 1/2 month so I have a lot of stress weight that I allowed myself to put on depressed. I'm ready to take my life back and it sounds like u are too. Let's do this together. Currently detoxing my body by eating 1 meal a day with 2 snacks and drinking 2 shakes a day. I'll do this for 20 days until my bday and then I'll take a break, still watching my cal in take but with solid foods. I'll start my 10 min workout vid too along with some core and leg exercises. Good luck to u. We are in this to win this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local library? See if they have fitness DVDs. A great "walking" program is Walk at Home by Leslie Sansone. It's actually low impact aerobics without choreography (anyone can do this). I like working out at home because it's excuse proof for me....I can't complain about the weather, or say it's too dark outside, etc.

Re: eating. Just eat real food. You don't need shakes or supplements. Just log what you currently eat & tweak things as you go. If you come in low on protein....tweak that. If you get hungry....make more filling choices (protein, fat, and fiber). Drink plenty of water (your body will detox itself). Water makes sure you're not feeling "hunger" when in fact you are thirsty.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Look around online and find some workouts you can write down or copy into a document for at home. Like:

https://www.pinterest.com/fittabulous/fabulous-hiit-workouts/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    First of all forget what you think you know about weight loss. You don't need to eat "healthy" or "clean" to lose weight. There's no magical combination of foods to eat (or avoid) unless you have a medical issue. Eating after a certain time of day won't store fat. No foods "burn fat" and you can't reduce fat in one specific area by doing something special. I think that covers most of it. :)

Babysteps! Start slow. Make little changes and keep doing those things until they become habit then add another change. Right now, that change should be getting into the habit of weighing and measuring your food and logging every single thing you eat and drink; everything down to chewing gum and vitamins. You don't need to change what you're eating or how much you're eating yet, just log it all and be brutally honest with yourself. You may not like what you're seeing but you'll learn a lot more if you can correlate what you're eating, with how many calories it contains.

If you don't own a kitchen scale, buy one and use it. It's the most important tool to have. Most food should be weighed, not measured, even salad dressing and peanut butter packaging gives servings in grams. If you're inaccurate with your logging your results will not be what you think they should be.

After a week or so of logging, look back over your diary and figure out where you can make some substitutions that will have big impact. Smaller portions at meals. Swapping one or two sweetened drinks with water or something zero calorie. Strive to stay at or just under the calorie goal MFP sets for you every single day. Don't worry about sugar, carbs, fat and protein for now. Once you get logging and staying under your calorie goal you can focus on those things including figuring out your TDEE, BMR, etc.

Exercise and a gym membership isn't needed for weight loss but it's important for fitness and overall health so just start moving more. Park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, walk when you have spare time. Later, find an exercise activity that you like whether that's walking, running, swimming, biking, Zumba, or whatever. If you like it you'll be more likely to stick with it. Working out shouldn't be something you dread each day.

Consider strength training right from the start, it has huge benefits. You'll not only lose more fat but your metabolism will be higher. Maintaining muscle is much easier than building new muscle and your body has built up extra to carry your excess weight. If you can keep most of the muscle you already have while losing fat, you're going to look amazing when you get to your goal weight! You can do simple body weight exercises for this, like pushups, planks, etc.

Take "before" pictures so you can better judge your progress visually. Results on the measuring tape are more important than those on the bathroom scale. Measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.

The most important thing right now is that what you're doing is sustainable. You shouldn't be trying to reach an end goal weight but changing your eating habits for life so you don't gain the weight back. That means that whichever way you're eating while you lose weight should be the way you plan to eat once you reach your goal, just a little more of it.
  • Jessica4z
    Options
    Thank you SueInAz! I will definitely try measuring out food by weight and logging it in.
  • Jessica4z
    Options
    Thank you all. I really do appreciate the input and info.