I feel full and hungry at the same time...

Options
Does anyone else ever experience being full in their stomach - even to the point of feeling bloated - but still hungry in their throat? I am not sure how else to describe it. It's like my stomach isn't grumbling and I can feel the food in there, but I stil have a physical sensation of hunger, sort of.

And this isn't 5 minutes after I eat, when my brain hasn't had a chance to turn off the hunfer signals. This is like half an hour or more after eating.

It sounds strange, I know.

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    YES. This happened to me last night. As a result, I ate to the point where I felt physically ill. Bleh. Not doing that again.
  • nebraskamom
    Options
    I have felt this way before....MANY times. It makes sticking to your "diet" really difficult. I can sometimes make it stop by drinking a glass of water but it doesn't always help. glad to know I'm not the only one that has had this issue. :)
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    When I feel like this I drink water. I am not sure why it helps but it does.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think I get the same thing. I'm always hungry, even when I'm full. I think I just don't understand what my body is trying to tell me. :(
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    WATER!!! Thats your body telling you that you need more water...
  • rebbecarose
    rebbecarose Posts: 48
    Options
    I feel like that all of the time since I switched to eating large amounts of food with low calories. It's as if my body is screaming for fat. I consider it a withdrawal symptom. All of the high processed foods act like heroine on your body. It gets better, it really does :)
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I felt that today!
    I ate like 300g of veggies and chicken and was FULL but still felt hungry in a very strange way... I don't know what it is, but I've read that thirst is often mistaken for hunger so I have been drinking a lot... still hungry though. Hungry in a very full sort of way, lol!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    A glass of nice cold water does the trick for me.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I felt like this yesterday and I wasnt thirsty because I drank so much freakin water I was running to the bathroom so much I thought maybe i was prego again. I really think its your metabolism stablizing....
  • FluffyCorky
    FluffyCorky Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me!!! Especially when it's around that time of the month LOL. I always have an inkling that I want something a little bit more but never know exactly what it is I want. I've found the best way to try and avoid caving into the feeling is to drink water and chew gum. After awhile I forget I even had the feeling of wanting more in the first place.
  • ali06013
    ali06013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I feel like that all of the time since I switched to eating large amounts of food with low calories. It's as if my body is screaming for fat. I consider it a withdrawal symptom. All of the high processed foods act like heroine on your body. It gets better, it really does :)

I think you are probably right. I drank a TON of water today - way more than usual - and I still feel the strange hunger sensation even though my stomach is bloated with dinner and water.

I can definately see this as being a fat/sugar withdrawel symptom, since I typically only experience it when I cut out the garbage and eat strictly healthful foods.

Thanks!
  • BecBe4
    BecBe4 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have also felt this way and find it very strange and somewhat bothersome. I find that drinking water (or milk but that adds calories) helps sometimes. Other times I just try and find something to keep me busy to keep my mind off it.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me if you would like some additional support. :smile:
  • ali06013
    Options
    I felt like this yesterday and I wasnt thirsty because I drank so much freakin water I was running to the bathroom so much I thought maybe i was prego again. I really think its your metabolism stablizing....

That's true, too, I didn't even think about metabolism stablization as being a factor.

And to the person who suggested chewing gum.. I might try that! It could trick me into thinking I'm eating, maybe.
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes! I get this after a healthy meal, my mouth craves something sweet to 'finish the meal off' I guess. I use minty mouthwash and drink a bottle of water.
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance you have reflux? I do, and this is one of the symptoms that bothers me the most. Maybe look into it, or try taking a Tums after you eat to see if it makes a difference. Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It usually means I'm dehydrated and need to drink water. When I KNOW I'm not hungry but feel hungry, yep! Time for water!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Don't start self treating on any kind of a regular basis with antacids! That 's a dangerous spiral. Trust me. Been there, got the medical bills.
  • whiskyzee
    whiskyzee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been there! Some troubleshooting tips:
    1) I echo above--make sure you're getting enough water!
    2) withdrawl from processed/high sodium/high fat foods is real, so you might need time for your horomones to readjust.
    3) You might be deficient in a vital nutrient. This happens a LOT with people who eat primarily "fake" diet foods (highly processed, low calorie chemical food-products). Your body needs real food! Try to eat close to nature (fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, etc.) and enjoy the taste of real foods. If you have no idea where a particular food comes from (other than "aisle 5"), pass and choose something that will actually benefit you, rather than essentially starving you.
  • ali06013
    Options
    I tried the chewing a piece of gum trick and it seemed to help some. It was a super strong, minty flavor and I could feel the mint in my esophagus, down to my stomach, so I think that helped calm everything down.

Also, I am pretty sure I do not have reflux. I sometimes get reflux from eating super fatty foods, but the 'hunger in my throat' sensation doesn't feel the same, and I don't have any reflux symptoms otherwise.

It's most likely the withdrawal thing that's causing this the most, I think. I'm eating 100% whole wheat bread, fresh fruit, lots of raw spinach and carrots, chickpeas and kidney beans, chicken and turkey meat, some rice, etc... whole foods!... and lots of water. So my body is probably ticked off that it's not getting any garbage and my hormones need to readjust.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I really appreciate it!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    yes, that's me.. usually at night! i try to drink water and if the sensation doesn't pass then i'll have a fruit or yogurt.