Ideas needed.... getting heart rate up

Options
mbvenske
mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
I need ideas on how to get my heart rate up. Right now I'm walking, which I lovve to do. But my HRM. (just started using one), shows that my heart rate isn't high enough to be in the weight loss zone. I have arthritis in my knees so running is kinda out of the question, limited budget, so no gym, and I don't have access to a swimming pool.

Is there low impact arobics that will get your heart rate up? I am 47, and while walking my HRM says my heart rate runs between 110-123. I am walking a 16 minute mile right now. Do I just keep walking faster? I don't know if my knees can handle that.

Thanks for any input.

~Mary

Replies

• Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    dance-
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they always get my heart rate up
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bicycle= low impact and kinda fun
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think the elliptical or a gravity walker. Hire one? Buy one on ebay? If you can't run or swim, I'd be a bit stuck without a machine.

If I go for a walk and my HR is too low, I just pick up speed and jog a little..........but not easy when you can't.

How about push ups or upper body resistance training. You could buy resistance bands, they're pretty cheap........

:flowerforyou:
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Check out some videos from your local library. You might try pilates. It won't get your heart rate up there too high but it will help you build muscle which will help increase your metabolism. Best of luck!
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they always get my heart rate up

I just wanna raise my rate a little bit, not have a heart attack!!! :happy:

Thanks fro the ideas everyone. Dancing I never thought off, and we're just coming into spring here so the bike was at the back of my head, I'm digging it out tomorrow!
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have heard

"If your goal is for better cardiovascular health and/or weightloss then varying your walking speeds is very useful. Start out by walking at a comfortable pace to warm up then try extending your stride and speeding up your pace for 5 minutes, then back to a comfortable pace for 1 minute. Repeat this several times and when you are ready add variables such as a faster, shorter stride, or longer, more powerful strides"

so change your speed often, strides, maybe ankle weights
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    how about really pumping your arms while walking fast? that should help increase your pace, overall workout and thus HR. i'd consider (later on when things improve) that you get those weight straps and put them on your wrists so that you are getting the extra work through your arms, not your legs.

one of the things when i walk (which looks daft) is i take loooong strides and i lift my knees. not to the extent of a lunge, but like a shallow one with a knee lift i guess. it hurts my thighs :-)