How do you put a meal together?

Options
jessicadb2
jessicadb2 Posts: 57 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
What does a healthy meal look like and how do you cook it or prepare it? Sounds like a dumb question I know, but I find this so difficult. I don't have a lot of money to prepare meals with a lot of ingredients, so examples of cheap meals with few ingredients would be helpful.

Replies

• HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You could check you tube for Jamie Oliver's meals. He often makes healthy and tasty meals. I use the Total Wellbeing Diet books as they have recipes that are balanced, healthy, tasty, and easy to follow.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you count as Healthy, Food is just food a variety of food with lots of fresh fruit and veg is always a good start add. Your best bet is to think of ingredients you like and search via google or Pinterest and you'll come up with 1000's of recipes. Good luck
  • jessicadb2
    Options
    HelenWater wrote: »
    You could check you tube for Jamie Oliver's meals. He often makes healthy and tasty meals. I use the Total Wellbeing Diet books as they have recipes that are balanced, healthy, tasty, and easy to follow.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
  • Nancy33333
    Nancy33333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a number of appointments with a dietician to understand this. I build 450 calorie meals: 150 protein, 150 starch/carbs, 100 veggies, 50 for "dressing." Nothing works out quite that perfectly, but definitely this is my guideline. Lost @35 pounds (my goal) and have kept it off for a year. Best wishes!
  • Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just eat basics if thats what you want to do.

Salmon, potatoes, veggies. Steam/boil/Steam
    Prawns on lettuce with cucumber. Chop and throw together
    Sushi. Eat out
    Chicken, rice and veggies. Grill, boil/microwave/Steam
    Layered boiled eggs and ham on spinach with tomatoes. Boil and chuck together
    Beef and broccoli dry stir fry. Brown beef in pan, add broccoli, fry till cooked
    Mushroom omelette. Mix ingredients, chuck in pan, flip half way eat with salad
    Salads! Chuck together

Things can be as simple as they sound, just buy what you know is good and stick it together, you don't need a ton of ingredients as most foods have there own tastes if cooked correctly. If you do have a spice rack though add some extras to experiment with taste. :)
  • jessicadb2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    repeated post.
  • jessicadb2
    Options
    jessicadb2 wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Not sure what you count as Healthy, Food is just food a variety of food with lots of fresh fruit and veg is always a good start add. Your best bet is to think of ingredients you like and search via google or Pinterest and you'll come up with 1000's of recipes. Good luck

I mean well balanced meals that are made of whole natural foods. I don't mind if they are vegan, vegetarian, or clean or whatever. They need to be inexpensive though.

• Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take much for a meal to be healthy,so lean mean, some vegetables. boom - healthy. Haha.

My "cooking skills" are almost non-existant. but I do eat chicken breasts almost 5-6+ days / week.
    I buy tins of mushy peas, jars of baby or sliced carrots (peas usually cost €0.80 and carrots nearly same price), cook a chicken breast for 20 mins in the oven (sometimes through some garlic or paprika powder on it for flavour), and then just toss those peas or carrots, or sometimes sweet corn into the microwave, and that's my dinner

Wholeweat Pasta, a chicken breast, and a stir in pasta sauce is simple and quick too. I really love pasta :)

But if your cooking skills are a bit beyond the level of a dummy (like myself), then you can cook lots of healthy things.
    Aim for lean meats, less fatty/greasy stuff the better
    2-3 vegetables per dinner - doesn't really matter what they are
    Not too much salt used
    wholewheat is healthier than normal for things like bread or pasta
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've started looking at my MFP friends' food diaries for inspiration.
    Every now and then I see a combo and I think 'ooh what a good idea'

Soup is always a great go-to. And cheap as chips. 1 pot goes a long way too and is easily transported around to eat on the go/work/uni/anywhere you can take a thermos.
    Lots of veggies and liquid will fill you up and provide good nutrition; partner with some protein daily (e.g. meat, eggs etc.) and you have got a winner.

You would be amazed how far tins of plain chopped tomatoes, some water, some chicken stock cubes and some onions will go. You can blend in tomato soup or add any veggies you can find to make minestrone - even a handful; of pasta chucked in near the end will see you eat dinner for a week.

I have found that a pack of wraps and salad veggies (lettuce, red onion, red pepper) + 1 roast chicken or some tuna (spring water not oil) does a lot of meals too.

Another cheapie is baked potato - so quick and cheap as well. 8 mins in the microwave and then top with chopped raw cabbage, grated carrot, red onion, red pepper etc. Dust a small amount of salt, pepper, cheese and sour cream if you want but be mindful of the cheese, sour cream serving sizes.

Good luck!
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The Healthy Life is challenging on a budget especially when organic ingredients are priced so expensive!

One meal I really think packs a nutrientional punch is pasta and veggies

Pick your fave pasta
    Pick up some extra lean ground beef or turkey (for a pasta sauce)
    Pick up a nice tasty jar of tomatoe sauce "El Classico" or Ragu (budget friendly)
    Pick up some frozen mixed veggies

If you like flavor - I like to do a club house seasonig (roasted red pepper and some crushed garlic and ginger added to the ground beef once I've drained the fats) to do that you simply cook the ground beef on a medium heat and cooked through - add one cup of water and using a straining device drain out the water - then add the flavorings and mix in your favorite tomatoe sauces or get creative!!

A healthy caloric intake is ratio is
    45-65% of calories from carbs
    25-35% of calories from fats
    10-35% of clories from proteins

That is just a rought estimate and I hope I am not stepping on any toes with this information!

Hope that helps for an idea!
    Ciao! ;):) ::)
  • jessicadb2
    Options
    Thanks everyone this is helpful. I found a book that is about clean eating on Amazon and it has a month's worth of meals plans. That is exactly the type of thing I need because clean eating seems to do best for me and my body type. I don't feel too hungry. I found another vegan book and it has a months worth of meal plans as well and even the shopping list at the end.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is good for meal ideas. Search for 400-calorie meals (or whatever) and you'll see tons of ideas and recipes. I also really like the Eating Well website. The recipes are easy and the pics are great.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I find roasting / baking to be my go-to when I want a meal with little prep time in the kitchen (which is often). Most non-steak frozen fish can go straight from the freezer to oven. Toss roughly chopped vegetables in oil and spices and roast in the same oven where the fish is cooking. Prep time is about 5-7 min, cooking time about 20-30 min.

Stir fry is another quick and easy way to make a healthy meal.

I also cook big batches of grains (quinoa, brown rice, kasha) and keep in the fridge for reheating, salads, fried rice, etc.

Soups, stews and chili are great one pot healthy meals.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I despise cooking. My meals are fairly simple, some kind of meat, some kind of veggie and that's it.
    I buy what's on sale, last week it was beets and beef rump roast. So, we had roasted beets almost everyday and beef. Blueberries were also an awesome bargain, so I have those all frozen in individual bags in the freezer for easy snacking.
    Now, I have a 4 year old in the house who is on the low end of her healthy weight, so I'll also make a small mac n cheese for her. She has the meat, veg and her mac n cheese, or some other pasta dish.

For lunch, we eat leftovers from dinner the previous day, or oatmeal, canned tuna and so on.

So, it can be very 'no frills' and easy if you want it to be. Just pick a meat, pick a vegetable, add some other carb like pasta if you prefer and serve the meat and veg on top..
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    There comes a point in everyone's life where they simply need to take some responsibility and teach themselves things.

For you, this is one of those times. Fortunately you live in an era where you have the sum of the world's information at your fingertips through Google.

Try googling "how to make a healthy meal" and click on a few of the thousands of links you'll find.

Note that this is going to require that you learn how to cook a few things. See the first sentence above.

Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends on the meal, but for dinner I think in terms of protein, veggies, and extras.

I usually have my protein picked out (so it can defrost in the refrigerator during the day if necessary, sometimes it's leftover from a prior day) and I usually have lots of veggies on hand. So based on the protein I plan to have (say, roasted bone-in, skin on chicken breast, which I love), I decide which of the veggies I have to eat with it (I always make sure I eat what I have on hand, so I use it up) and what other foods (usually starchy carbs, like potatoes or sweet potatoes or rice or root vegetables, but sometimes I decide to do pasta and turn everything into a one dish meal) I will have on the side. Depending on my calories I might replace the starch with fruit or another vegetable or have fruit/dairy on the side in addition to the vegetable and starch.

But to me a balanced meal is made up of at least one source of protein, a good amount of vegetables, and something else to balance out the meal (usually starch, fruit, or dairy or some combination).

IMO, most good one pot meals (like stew) consist of a combination of these three things, as does a good pasta with a homemade sauce, or something like an omelet.

I also have a few super fast meals in my mind in case something happens and I need to whip up something quick. Omelet for dinner is my usual fallback there or maybe salad with leftover meat on it (I usually have olives and cheese in my refrigerator and always greens).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and "clean eating" books and meal plans are pointless if you just learn how to cook regular food (which seems "clean" so far as I can tell--do people think that we put ice cream on the chicken?). If you aren't comfortable cooking basics, I always recommend Mark Bittman's books, especially How to Cook Everything and Fish. Years ago reading and working with them got me past the stage where I thought I needed recipes and able to just cook whatever I had on hand and make up my own combinations based on my preferences.

It's basic cooking that people need to learn; it shouldn't be made over-complicated.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The more (natural) colorful your food is in your plate the healthier your meal is.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Usually onto a plate, with a fork and knife

Sometimes a bowl with a spoon

Or even just a nice big glass