Stop the drinking insanity!!

Options
When I lost my weight two years ago, I stopped drinking wine. I logged every day, weighed myself and exercised. I maintained my weight for over a year. Then last summer, I sat on the patio and had a glass of wine. One led to two and so on. I am up to a 1.5 liter bottle a day. I feel like crap, don't sleep good and have gained 20 lbs back. I wake up motivated to quit and around 2 in the afternoon, convince myself that I can drink a little. NOT!!!

This is day one. I hope to log everyday that I am wine free. It will happen. I need to stop thinking about this everyday and live life

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I work my drinky-drinks into my calories. but if never drinking again works for you, then best of luck! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Most people have something that they are best to avoid, rather than try to moderate.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I give myself one day a week to drink moderately, usually Friday and Saturday. I usually consume more calories than I'm allowed, but hey, a girl's gotta live a little! If you can't control it within your calories or to just a few drinks a week, not drinking at all may be best. :/
  • rebekah708
    rebekah708 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... Once I start, I don't stop until the bottles are gone for me it's Mic Ultra.. It's only 95 calories! lol... :p
  • wcurudy
    wcurudy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yay for sobriety! I was in the same boat, but with whiskey. I lost ~15 lbs within a few months of quitting.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Yes, I only buy 1 bottle of wine at a time for that reason...I like to drink the entire bottle once it's open. Funny though when I get a box of wine I am OK with drinking only 2 glasses if that and that's it....weird.
  • MarciRenee74
    MarciRenee74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like moderation with wine works for the OP. This sounds like more of an issue of/with addiction rather than an issue of diet. I would approach it from that angle rather than a moderation angle. There are just some people that can't have ANY alcohol, period. And there is nothing wrong with that, you just have to realize it and move forward from that place.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Based on that I would start only getting boxed wine. Then keep the calories within your allowance and enjoy!
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like moderation with wine works for the OP. This sounds like more of an issue of/with addiction rather than an issue of diet. I would approach it from that angle rather than a moderation angle. There are just some people that can't have ANY alcohol, period. And there is nothing wrong with that, you just have to realize it and move forward from that place.

I think u make a good point. Maybe I need to get some help with the alcohol addiction. Thx for this thought. I was using weight loss as an excuse to stop drinking. But I have it backwards. I need to stop drinking and the weight will come off.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Do you have people in your life who love you? Try to keep them at the forefront of your mind when you feel like drinking and when you're considering getting some help. My mom drinks, and I worry about her like crazy. I all but hold my breath waiting for her to realize she can't handle it. You're already in a place where you're willing to examine you're behavior and consider that you might need help, which is huge in and of itself. Now it's up to you to decide what to do next. Hope you figure it out!
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much alcohol dependant, but manage to keep the calories down, just log it as carbs.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Personally I changed my alcohol need every night for something else......................cant discuss that here ;)¬~~~~~~.....but it really is a life choice in my opinion at this time......do you want to carry on drinking??? if so...change the wine habbit for something else that maybe is not as bad.....3 pints of beer is not as bad as the 3 pints of wine your on....it wont get you as pissed....but it will be the same amount in fluids.....if you like the getting pissed side of it....shorts all the way....buy the strongest rum you can find.....and add zero soda........you be on the floor a pint of that.........lol.....

If you think you have a issue with drink in general....that you cannot moderate and control....then I agree more drastic measures are needed....family interventions.......self punishments for slipping....rehab if that bad.....or something like a simple change of daily routine may help also......you say at 2 ish you get the neeeeed.......is 2 a trigger?? is it finish work time?? is it everyone is out of the house...your on your own time......whatever...change it.....go swimming....gym....friends.....clubs...groups....take up knitting......you need to break that cycle some way......and only you can answer the how to do it.....

I hope you can control it rather than banish it completely....as it sounds as though you obviously like a drink...and that is fine...if you can control it.....

Personally many moons ago...in a bad time of life...I used to drink a 24 crate pack of stubbie beers a night with a cheap half L bottle of gin.........every night for 6 months.....and either side of that I am a beer monster....when I go I can drink 24hrs straight....so I know the feeling....

My way is not conventional...lol...but its worked for me....I even did Feb dry this year...32 days nothing at all......not done 3 days before for nearly 30 yrs........and yes I am only 41....so do the math.....lol.....

I can now control it 95% of the time.....I have had a couple of rums tonight....that's all...I can have 2 beers before food and then stop......it can be done.....but you need to understand yourself first......

Good luck with it...

feel free to add me if you can take me......I can be a tough *kitten* if you need that type of motivation.....but I do tell it like I see it....

• lambchoplewis1
    Options
    Okay, I did not make it this weekend. But I am wine free today. I will keep posting all wine free days. Exercised, ate clean. Lots of veggies and water. Actually feel full both literally and emotionally.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Good Luck!
  • kimtessier
    Options
    When I lost my weight two years ago, I stopped drinking wine. I logged every day, weighed myself and exercised. I maintained my weight for over a year. Then last summer, I sat on the patio and had a glass of wine. One led to two and so on. I am up to a 1.5 liter bottle a day. I feel like crap, don't sleep good and have gained 20 lbs back. I wake up motivated to quit and around 2 in the afternoon, convince myself that I can drink a little. NOT!!!

This is day one. I hope to log everyday that I am wine free. It will happen. I need to stop thinking about this everyday and live life

• kimtessier
    Options
    I need to cut down the wine too. Gained 30 pounds, pretty much because of the bottle per day habit. So hard to quit!
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Me too, Kim Tessier. Kindred spirits, maybe.
  • francineb4
    francineb4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine issue is Sierra Nevada Torpeda IPA. I love it and convinced myself that it was o.k. because I only had one a day. But 8 pounds later, I realize that the one 250 calorie beer adds up. It also was virtually impossible for me to drink without eating bad something along with it . I was planning to replace the beer with gin, but I just don't want it. The good thing is that I lost a few pounds, but the bad thing is I really miss my IPA every single day and have to work on not having it. Posting wine free days is a good idea. Good luck
  • francineb4
    francineb4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PS I read that break habits/addiction is easier when you replace it with something else, like one of the earlier posters said. this also breaks the trigger. I am so used to reaching for the beer as soon as I come home, that I know it helps to reach for something else. i am trying sparkling water this week. other behavior modification techniques include keeping really busy so you don't have the nagging desire playing through your head all the time.
  • lambchoplewis1
    Options
    Day two with no wine. I woke up feeling great. No headache. I have weighed myself to get a baseline and logged my food. I can do this!!!